Chromebook R11 CB5-132T charging only to 94% after latest update

Options

Answers

• sonofanitch
    sonofanitch Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same. I let my battery go down to 15% then charged it over night. My battery was not charging past 84% and then it went up to 94% percent. I have rolled back two versions, updated to the new ChromeOS 6.2. I am currently running beta 63.0.3239.85 and wont charge pat 94%. This is really pointing to a softwear issue from what it seems.

I also have an issue where my shelf does not autohide correctly but not a deal breaker
  • realimpact4g
    realimpact4g Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I bought 3 of these from Costco as Christmas gifts.  All have the exact same issue.  I guess I'll be returning them as after 3 months there still appears to be no resolution.  Tried 61-64.  All channels.  No such luck in getting it to clear up.  Did USB Recovery.
  • Triniboi
    Triniboi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and mine is stuck at 95% and I'm also in beta mode.. I'm not going to make it an issue cause it's only 5% short of the 100% plus I won't have the issue of over charging my battery..I could live with 5% short on my battery and save the chances of over charging my battery..once that light turns blue I'm good with that..
  • gwsmallwood
    gwsmallwood Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm having the same problem.  Bought my R11 on Saturday, plugged it in to charge Saturday night, sunday it was only at 89%.  Used it on Monday and Tuesday to drain the battery completely to try and recalibrate.  Plugged it in last night and let it charge overnight, only 91% this morning.  I'll try reporting the issue as many have suggested.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    billsey>>>These types of issues are usually caused by a poor or corrupted calibration, they don't reflect battery problems, but rather problems with the calculated values displayed. A few charge cycles and they usually fix themselves, though not always completely.>>>

I also agree. Don't fixate on the battery meter while its plugged in. A better indication of battery condition is how long the system actually runs unplugged, than what the software meter says when it's plugged in. Don't keep the system plugged in all the time, watching the meter to see if it'll ever reach 100%. Cycling the battery more should actually improve its condition!  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chrmsk
    chrmsk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Battery charging problems with R11 still an issue waiting to be resolved:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=774428

• gwsmallwood

Tinkerer

Options
    New data point.  I found out last night that if I leave the charger plugged in while using the R11 (last night I was watching Amazon Prime Video) then It will finish charging to full.  I repeated the experiment today (while watching a VIMEO video this time) and it worked again.  Maybe that piece of information can help someone solve the problem.
  • JackE
    Options
    gwsmallwood---Ah! Yes, thanks for those new data points. But the real proof of the pudding will be how long the fully-charged battery actually lasts NOT plugged in while watching the very same video. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dottie
    Dottie Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I've had this problem for a few months Acer support says (I've asked twice) that it's because of a Chrome OS problem.

Battery currently shows 54% remaining.  Light is on as though it's charging.   

When I run the battery on CROSH,  Battery health reported as 90.26%.  It's discharging 0.66% in 300 seconds unplugged.    

I unplugged it to run the test and it dropped from 54.33% to 54% after 5 minutes of being unplugged to run the 300 second test.   

The last time I talked to Acer support they said it was okay to use it unplugged until it goes down to 10%, but what happens then if it isn't actually charging when I plug it back in.  

If I could return this thing to Costco (I bought it in March), I would.   The performance is not what was advertised/promised and the guy from Acer said they wouldn't replace it at this point because there's probably nothing wrong with the battery.  :-(

• JackE
    Options
    As mentioned to others, the software battery meters are notoriously inaccurate. So try to stop fixating on watching the meter. The proof of the pudding is how long the machine actually runs unplugged after being charged --- say overnight for example. And even if your 300 second test is sorta semi-accurate, it would mean that your battery should last for (54.33%)/(0.33%) x 300 seconds =  almost 50,000 seconds or nearly 14 hours! So yes, you're battery seems superfine to me. If it were mine, I certainly wouldn't replace it for fear of getting one that wasn't as good! Again, stop watching the meter and enjoy the machine!

Finally, what specific performance factors were advertised/promised by ACER that are not meeting with your expectations?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gwsmallwood

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    As mentioned to others, the software battery meters are notoriously inaccurate. So try to stop fixating on watching the meter. The proof of the pudding is how long the machine actually runs unplugged after being charged --- say overnight for example. And even if your 300 second test is sorta semi-accurate, it would mean that your battery should last for (54.33%)/(0.33%) x 300 seconds =  almost 50,000 seconds or nearly 14 hours! So yes, you're battery seems superfine to me. If it were mine, I certainly wouldn't replace it for fear of getting one that wasn't as good! Again, stop watching the meter and enjoy the machine!

Finally, what specific performance factors were advertised/promised by ACER that are not meeting with your expectations?

Jack E/NJ
    We all hear what you keep repeatedly saying.  Yes, the laptops appear to be charging and holding their charges reasonably well.  But that doesn't make it ok.  This is a bug that has been hanging around for months and it should be fixed by now.  It's not ok that my laptop is telling me my battery isn't charging to full if it really is.  If it isn't really charging to full, then that isn't ok either.
  • Dottie
    Options
      But that doesn't make it ok.  This is a bug that has been hanging around for months and it should be fixed by now.  It's not ok that my laptop is telling me my battery isn't charging to full if it really is.  If it isn't really charging to full, then that isn't ok either.
    This is exactly the problem.  Why are we supposed to think it's okay?  And to just ignore it.

I'm afraid to use mine unplugged. 

In the past 30 years I have owned and used many brands of laptops and I have NEVER had one with this sort of battery issue.  
  • JackE
    Options
    Dottie---Don't be afraid to use yours unplugged. Cycling --- aka using --- the battery is a good thing since it isn't designed to be a continuously-charged stand-by that is only used in an emergency. You don't seem to have a battery issue. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• DidierR
    DidierR Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    hello, after 2 R11 cb5 affected by this problem I tried a r11 C738T-C4JE and the problem appeared during the update chrome v63. the battery is 100% rechargeable in version 56 but remains 95% blocked in v63. Is there a guarantee that the bug is fixed? did this damage the battery?
  • JackE
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For those who are worried about chromeOS battery widgets and their seemingly buggy behavior on ACER chromebooks and possible damage thereto, I suggest that you join the chrome user group at  ---

https://plus.google.com/communities/112113270537114386848

if you haven't done so already. Perhaps other ACER, ASUS, HP, DELL, LENOVO, SAMSUNG, TOSHIBA, ETC chromebook users can give you guidance that either confirms or allays your fears about battery monitor widgets.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• gwsmallwood

Tinkerer

Options
    Subscribe to thebug report thread that chrmsk mentioned earlier (I haven't been a member long enough to post links).  This is where you'll see updates from the people who are actually working on resolving the issue.
  • Dottie
    Options
    JackE said:
    Dottie---Don't be afraid to use yours unplugged. Cycling --- aka using --- the battery is a good thing since it isn't designed to be a continuously-charged stand-by that is only used in an emergency. You don't seem to have a battery issue. Jack E/NJ  

I can only use it for about 3 hours unplugged.  
  • JackE
    Options
    Keep cycling it, Dottie. You may see incremental improvements over time since you rarely cycled it this way in the past. Keep us posted. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JaySundahl
    JaySundahl Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Putting the Chromebook in recovery mode without inserting a recovery usb drive allowed my R11 to fully charge. Then just restart and work with the current release. This has worked for others from the link  from chrmsk said:
    Battery charging problems with R11 still an issue waiting to be resolved:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=774428

• FuchiaOS
    FuchiaOS Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Despite a battery health of 87.5%, my R11 would not charge beyond 60%. I let the battery run down to zero percent, PowerWashed it, and factory reset it with Acer online support. Nothing helped, so I sent it in for repair. Has anyone identified the actual source of this problem?