Answers

• thehappydrifter
    thehappydrifter Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    A control panel search for "restore point" results in three options:
    ~ trigger restore point
    ~ create a restore point
    ~ reset this PC
    I don't understand why there aren't restore points available.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

Is there a small checkbox near the bottom entitled 'show more restore points' or something lo that effect ? Jack E?NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• thehappydrifter
    thehappydrifter Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thanks for your continued help with this, JackE.

I can't find a checkbox or any other access to a restore point on my laptop. I've done a few google searches to try to figure out other ways to find one and there doesn't seem to be any. Again, I don't understand why this the case - it appears to be set up to record them.
  • JackE
    Options

thehappydrifter---Try this. Open Device Manager. Click on Display. Then right click on Intel HD520 and choose Properties. Select Driver menuitem and rollback driver if that option is available. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks, this has saved me some trouble.
  • hspace
    hspace Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Oh boy, I'm having this same issue in 2019, with a Acer Swift 5, Win 10 pre-installed. Just started about 1 week ago.

After going to sleep, the screen just won't turn back on again. Unless I hold down the power button and get it to shut down, then press power again to restart.

Sounds exactly like what the first post described.
    Anyone fixed this before?
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what power buttons do' in left pane. Change all settings to sleep. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• justing
    justing Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi,
    Did this fix other's problems?
    I have an Acer Swift 3. And I had this exact problem about 6 months ago. I then changed all the settings described above to hibernate (instead of sleep), and the problem went away. But about 2 weeks ago it has started again!
    If I leave my computer for a while, it goes to sleep, and the screen cannot be woken. The keyboard lights up, but never the screen and I must force a shutdown.
    Extremely frustrating. Maybe other's here that have had the same problem can help?
    Thanks

• JackE
    Options

Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available.' Scroll down and uncheck the box for 'fast startup' to disable fast boot. I really don't think you should leave your power settings to hibernate as it is a deeper sleep than sleep. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• justing

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that now, and see how it works. Will update
  • justing

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, so the first two times it went to sleep it woke up normally,but the third time the screen does not turn on, only the keyboard lights up. Any other ideas?
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Next time the screen stays black, see if FN+F6 turns it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• justing

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for your continued suggestions.
    Unfortunately FN+F6 has no effect when it goes black

• JackE
    Options
    Now make sure none of these settings are in hibernate. All sleep. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• justing

Tinkerer

Options
    I already have them like that after reading your previous suggestions...
  • JackE
    Options
    Also including fast startup disabled? If yes, then check your Control Panel power plan and set the screen to never automatically turn off. In fact, all my settings are set to never auto turn off because when I step away from the machine for any length of time I use the power button to put it to sleep and limit battery charge. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• justing

Tinkerer

Options
    So just to follow up, this error continues to happen. The only solution is to prevent the computer entering automatic sleep mode. If I manually select sleep its okay.
    Anyway, this is the route I have taken, so at least I don't have to force a shutdown a few times every day! 
  • JackE
    edited May 2019
    Options
    >>>The only solution is to prevent the computer entering automatic sleep mode. >>>

Yes! This is exactly what I meant in my earlier post by all my power plans setting are set to NEVER auto turn off. Congrats on your solution. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• estherfadesth
    estherfadesth Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My Acer aspire 5920 laptop refuse to boot after it went off from sleep mode.
    I place it on sleep mode so i can charge my phone and it went off when the battery was down but i have charged it for hours the amber light refuse to be on and the laptop refuse to boot. What can i do

• JackE
    Options
    estherfadesthRemove the charger. Remove & re-insert the battery a few times. Then plug the charger back in. If the amber light doesn't come on right away, let the machine set for several hours plugged in to see if the amber light comes on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ