Aspire 5750 display won't turn on after sleep

JenMD
JenMD Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi there,

After upgrading to windows 10, every so often my display won't turn on after the laptop has been closed for a while.  The fan runs, leds are on but screen stays black.  I've tried everything I can think of, including going through all the settings (after reboot) but only hard shutdown fixes it.   I would be very grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Jen

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

By hard, do you mean by pressing and holding the actual power button until the machine turns off? Or do you mean by clicking your mouse on a Windows screen shutdown button?  The latter is no problem. I do it every day. The former will significantly increase booting times and can sometimes result in hard drive corruption. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Try toggling the screen back on with the Fn+F6 combo the next time it happens. Report back with results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JenMD

Honestly, I have tried every key combo on the board I think!  Very frustrating.  However, I will try that again in case I missed it somehow and let you know!  thank you so much

• JenMD

Ok, so after paying closer attention, I've determined that it wakes up fine from sleep but every few times I close it, it doesn't go into sleep mode, even over night, and thats when I can't get the display to turn back on from black screen.  Everything else sounds like it running fine...fan is on, leds are all on, just like it's awake.  Toggling the ctrl +F6 does nothing. 

Thanks, I truly appreciate any help!

• JackE

*Fully* closing the lid is equivalent to momentarily pressing the on-off button. It simply turns the screen off to save power. This is sleep mode. This is NOT the same as hibernate mode which I think you were really referring to. Tapping any key should turn the screen back on in sleep mode --- EXCEPT for the Fn+F6 combo.

If you don't close the lid far enough, the screen won't turn off until the control panel power setting screen timer (aka sleep mode timer) automatically turns it off depending on how long the control panel screen timer is set for. BTW, you can also set the control panel timer to force the system to go into  go into hibernate instead of sleep mode which is an entirely different kind of power saving mode. Hibernate mode not only turns the screen off, it also turns off other critical components in your system.

Perhaps you better check control panel to see how this timer is set. Just open control panel and search "power"and click on one of the power options. It's fairly straightforward.  

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JenMD

Oh dear, I realize I sound like a moron but I truly am not lol, and I thank you for your patience.  I hear you about sleep vs. hibernate, I explained that incorrectly.  This issue is brand new since upgrading to the dreadful windows 10 a few months ago.  I have checked every power, display, etc... setting numerous times as that was my first assumption.  When I have that black screen while everything else appears to be running fine I have tried every key combination short of tossing it acrosss the room.  The laptop comes out of hibernate fine with a touch of the power button.  Intermittantly, after sleep, the screen simply will not turn on no matter what I try until I do a hard shutdown.  Do you think perhaps win 10 wasn't compatible with this machine?  It's an Aspire 5750-9864

S/N NXRGKAA002***

[edited for privacy - THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM - please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• JackE

>>>Do you think perhaps win 10 wasn't compatible with this machine? >>>

Heh-heh. Here's the best I answer I can give you. Your 5750 came fresh from the Acer factory with Win7 installed and a warranty. No other operating system that either came before or after Win7 can make that claim.

Your particular 5750 seems to have what i would consider an annoying, but not disabling, video screen quirk running under Win10. Other folks have not been so fortunate. Not only has their machine been disabled, some can't even return to the original factory Win7 because Win10 has also erased a hidden part of the hard drive that allows returning the machine to its original factory-fresh Win7 state.

Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• JenMD

Ugh...so in other words, I should have trusted my instincts in the first place and never upgraded lol   Thank you very much for your attempts to help.   One last quick question, how hard on my machine is it to have to do a hard shut down every few days?  Should I be concerned?

• JackE
    Answer ✓

By hard, do you mean by pressing and holding the actual power button until the machine turns off? Or do you mean by clicking your mouse on a Windows screen shutdown button?  The latter is no problem. I do it every day. The former will significantly increase booting times and can sometimes result in hard drive corruption. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JenMD

When I can't get my display to turn on no matter what I do, I have to hold power button down until it shuts off (hard shut down) as I have no other way to fix the black display.  Its definitely causing it to boot more slowly and desktop and other programs behave oddly afterward.  I guess I'm looking at finding a repair shop before too much damage is done.   Smiley Sad

Thank you so much for all your help...much appreciated.

Jen

• JackE

If you want, we can try to get you back to Win7 if Win10 hasn't erased the hidden part on your hard drive that has the Win7 recovery program. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JenMD

Hmmm...that sounds nerve wracking lol   Thank you so much but I think I'll leave it for now.  I've started using the actual sleep button in the shut down menu every time I'm going to leave it for an extended time.  That's working for me right now, as there is no budget for hard drive repairs Smiley Wink   Thank you for all your time, if I get sick of my solution, I will try to find you again and beg for help!  Smiley Happy

Jen

• JackE

Sounds good to me. I do the same thing except I just press the power button once to put it into sleep mode. Then press any button to wake it up again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jll1
    Jll1 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same problem.  Mine came with Windows 10 E5 575 33BM.  Did you ever get this fixed?

• JackE

jll1---Approximately when did you first notice this behavior? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jll1
    Jll1 Member Posts: 2 New User

I noticed a couple of weeks ago.  It is the Aspire E15.  I read to change the display from 100 to less.  I have tried that so we will see.

• JackE

jll1---Let us know how it goes. Don't wait too long to test it cuz it could've also been due to a recent Win10Update which only stores restore points for a limited time. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• thehappydrifter
    thehappydrifter Member Posts: 4 New User
    I'm having a similar problem. My laptop is an Acer Aspire R5-471T, and every time it goes to sleep I have to do a forced re-boot. After sleeping it always returns to a solid gray screen with vertical lines. Oddly, moving my mouse causes a rectangular object to show the movement on the screen, but nothing else at all is responsive. A hard, forced re-boot is the only way I know how to get it working again. 

Aside from how bad it must be for my laptop to have to go through forced re-boots with the power button multiple times per day, it's also caused me to lose work many times. If I get pulled away from my laptop and forget to save everything I'm working on, which often involves multiple programs, most of the time the work is lost.

Other details:
    ~ my computer came installed with Windows 10
    ~ this happens when it goes to sleep, not from hibernation, and it doesn't matter if I put it to sleep or if it goes to sleep
    ~ when I plug it in to a monitor with an HDMI it shows the same grey image
    ~ I'm going to go crazy if it keeps happening
    ~ it's been happening for about two weeks

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
  • JackE

thehappydrifter>>>~ it's been happening for about two weeks>>>

On the possibility that it could be due to a Win10 update, open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Click on "restore ...from a restore point". Check if Win10 update created a restore point near the date this happened two weeks ago. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thehappydrifter
    thehappydrifter Member Posts: 4 New User
    JackE,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my laptop tells me that "Windows could not find a backup for this computer." I don't know why this is the case.

Is there anything else you'd recommend?
  • JackE
    Do another Control Panel search for  "restore point", not "restore". Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ