touchpad stopped working after windows 10 S7-392

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,311 Trailblazer

Microsoft is almost constantly rolling out upgrades from the third party vendors. Touchpad issues were common from at least two of the biggest vendors with the initial release of W10, but they seem to be gradually going by the wayside. I'm guessing a Windows update cleared your up, it wouldn't have been from Acer but from synaptics or whoever did your touchpad for Acer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • biker48
    biker48 Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes I guessed that was what had happened. It stopped again after a couple of days and then came back again. Microsoft have a lot to answer for. Windows 10 is OK after the 8 fiasco. It probably because my laptop was never envisaged to be using Windows 10. Thanks anyway.

• PeteMc
    PeteMc Member Posts: 2 New User

My IT  guy who has worked on my pc's for a while says it's not windows 10,it's faulty touch pads and Acer is sending out thousands to be replaced.He's expecting mine any day now.It's a Synaptics touchpad. I'll keep you posted.

• tom3333
    tom3333 Member Posts: 3 New User

My touchpad issue resolved after a Windows Update. But I don't think the display drivers are fully compatible, as I have ghosted (invisible) names on tabs in some of the Windows Apps.

• NZHARRISON
    NZHARRISON Member Posts: 1 New User
    It is quite doggy here. 
    My laptop is ES1-512, touch pad doesn't work after upgrade to win 10.
    Finally , I have resolved out the problem by changing the BIOS setting,  'Main'->Touch Pad, change from advanced to basic.
    I hope it can help you.
  • dbhupendra71
    dbhupendra71 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I installed windows 10 on my pc but touch pad is not working how can I fix it?

• davidjohn7
    davidjohn7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello there. I am also having a similar issue with my Asus after I refreshed to Windows 10. I can utilize the mouse with an outside mouse, however not the touch cushion. I took a stab at using the guidance you posted. Be that as it may, there is no Elan alternative the distance to one side and synaptics drivers. All it says is equipment, at that point when I tap on the equipment the impair alternative for the mouse cushion is dim and I am not ready to tap on it. Does anybody have any recommendations for this? Much obliged to you! It would be incredibly refreshing!

• I installed windows 10 on my pc but touch pad is not working how can I fix it?

I installed windows 10 on my pc but touch pad is not working how can I fix it?

Hi,
    Could you please post the model of your PC and the make of Touchpad, in the meantime, go to BIOS and check whether Touchpad is in Advanced or Basic Mode in Main tab.
  • Hello there. I am also having a similar issue with my Asus after I refreshed to Windows 10. I can utilize the mouse with an outside mouse, however not the touch cushion. I took a stab at using the guidance you posted. Be that as it may, there is no Elan alternative the distance to one side and synaptics drivers. All it says is equipment, at that point when I tap on the equipment the impair alternative for the mouse cushion is dim and I am not ready to tap on it. Does anybody have any recommendations for this? Much obliged to you! It would be incredibly refreshing!

Hi,
    Could you please post the laptop model name and confirm whether you have Elantech or Synaptics touchpad, have you checked in BIOS whether your touchpad is in Basic mode or in Advanced mode?
  • ohfems
    ohfems Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have a travelmate, after upgrade to windows 10, the touchpad stopped working. keyboard worked great though.
    Had to use a usb mouse to navigate. Fn +F7 did not work to restore my touchpad.
    I checked device manager, and noticed my touchpad wasnt listed. the only other mouse listed was my usb mouse.
    I installed the Elan driver (amongst other updates) from the acer website for my device and to no avail, touchpad still non-functional.
    i even tried the win 8 chipshet compatibility install and still nothing.
    When i went into mouse settings, and additional mouse options, i noticed there was a tab named Elan, but there was no device listed in this tab, and everything was greyed out.

What worked for me, was powering down, and on power up, pressed F2, got into the BIOS and changed the touchpad from "Advanced" to "Basic".  At windows start up, i was unable to sign in as both the touchpad and keyboard stopped working. I was able to use my usb mouse and the on-screen accessibility keyboard to log-in. Once logged in, windows automatically installed an Elan driver for the device and now both the touchpad and keyboard are working !!

• Viji55555
    Viji55555 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Guys, I found solution for touchpad problem in Acer a315-31 after lot of struggle in windows 10 64bit. Finally I gone to device manager, then select touch pad settings, then right click on it to update driver through internet, it starts to automatic selection mode and it downloaded Elan tech driver and it replaced ps/2 Microsoft driver. Now everything works fine. Don't try to uninstall or don't try to change on registry editor, it makes is in corrupted state. 
  • Viji55555
    Viji55555 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I tried to change in bios settings for advanced for touchpad, but it totally stopped touchpad working. Simply update the driver of touchpad in device manager, it works fine. I am using windows 10  64bit enterprise edition. If you uninstall the touchpad driver,. It will ask restart and it will install default Microsoft driver only :( , not Elan or synptics driver.
  • saurav_bangs
    saurav_bangs Member Posts: 2 New User
    I faced scrolling issue, scroll stopped working when I installed windows 10. Fixed it. Please read here https://goo.gl/W4RKaN
  • mambojambo
    mambojambo Member Posts: 1 New User
    1.Upgrade your BIOS to latest version for the model used.
    2. Update drivers from Acer support the I/O and Intel chipset drivers with Win10 available drivers for your 32 or 64 bit version
    3. Update from Acer support the Touchpad drivers for Win 10 
    4. restart and enter BIOS
    5. Main -> Touchpad change setting from the "Advanced" to "Basic"
    6. Exit and save BIOS and PC will restart you will get touchpad ELAN recognized and asked for a new restart
    7. Restart and touchpad will be recognized, enabled and in system installed 
    8. If it still does not work hit "Fn" and "F7" to activate it and it will work.

Problem is that drivers in different Win10 updates are changing touch pad tag from Advanced to Basic and if mismatch with BIOS it does not work.
    Have been hustling with this a couple of hours but it eventually worked  for me.
    Microsoft does not care really for cheaper brands not buying a lot Intel chips for HW build in. If Notebook of cheaper brand go always to vendor support page and install all specific drivers from there, and to Intel home page to check and upgrade Intel chipset drivers if Intel inside ;)

Have fun!
  • CarolineVincent
    CarolineVincent Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello Friends,

I have downgraded from windows 10 to 8.1 and 7 and the touch-pad has worked in both installation. Is it that windows 10 doesn't have all drivers that are compatible to acer laptop????

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Possible. However many Win 7 & 8 drivers work in Win 10 just sometimes they need to be forced.
  • CarolineVincent
    CarolineVincent Member Posts: 2 New User
    padgett said:
    Possible. However many Win 7 & 8 drivers work in Win 10 just sometimes they need to be forced.
    okay...but how exactly do you force them to work

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Meant they must be forced to load by having the driver on a local disk and then doing a manual load instead of automatic.
  • DarkRaNgEr
    DarkRaNgEr Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Bill2015 said:

S7-392

I installed the upgrade to the Synaptics driver to no avail.

FnT and Alt.7 don't work.

Any ideas?

Hi, please try this step to resolve the touchpad issue in your device. Go to device manager, then select touch pad settings, then right click on it to update driver through internet, it starts to automatic selection mode and it downloaded Elan tech driver and it replaced ps/2 Microsoft driver. Don't try to uninstall or don't try to change on registry editor, it makes is in corrupted state.

Thanks And regards,

DarkRaNgEr

Thanks and Regards,

DarkRaNgEr

• Daap
    Daap Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2018
    I had problems with the touchpad after opening the case to see if i could add more memory. Touchpad would move the mouse cursor but clicking did not work. After trying with drivers etc it turned out that the case hadn't clicked properly in place after reassembling. When i pressed the case firmly together near the touchpad, a click sounded and everything worked as usual again.