REVO 70 - Windows 10 Install - Two issues - HDMI Sound and Shut down issue.

Options

Answers

• IXL
    IXL Member Posts: 43 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I'll give that a try and let you know... (probably be tomorrow)  :)
  • IXL
    Options
    Well, this is getting pretty annoying now.

I tried your suggestion, and this time I sourced the .inf file that was being used on the W7 revo I have running, for the High Def Audio Bus controller, saved it onto a usb stick, then fired up the W10 Revo and disabled wifi and then uninstalled the driver and device, then tried to update the driver to the inf file I have saved.

This is what comes up, which kind of suggests why it probably wont run and causes the Error 10 issue.  I dont know why its coming up with "cannot find the file specified, as I pointed it directly to it... (ive done this 6 times now and it does it every time)

I need someone to help supply me with the right .inf file (I think) that does actually work, as the "latest one" that gets installed by windows itself, doesnt work... 

• IXL
    Options
    It would help if I actually posted the right screenshot.  Sorry.. this is what I encounter when trying to install the .inf file directly when the wifi is disabled...

Is there a way around this, or turning off digital sig info from being needed?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>BIOS Mode UEFI >>>

These factory Win7 machines seem to be what I've deemed "in-betweeners". Previous models were BIOS mainboards. These are UEFI mainboards operating in Legacy mode to support factory Win7, Win7 device drivers & even some Win7 hardware that didn't appear on factory Win8x and above.  I know it's painful, but have we tried to install Win10 yet in legacy mode where Win7 compatibility mode drivers might have a better chance of working? Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• IXL
    Options
    Hi, welcome to my thread... I'm determined to resolve this with anyone's help lol

I'm not seeing such an option you describe unfortunately.... 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In fact, it is referring to boot mode, which should be changed from uefi to legacy mode. However, on desktops, you must look for the launch csm function and enable it to enable legacy mode. You might need to create a password in changesupervisorpassword.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • IXL
    Options
    Ah ok, sorry. 

Well, I believe this is it, but I don't see a way to disable it, just change the order. 

I did try when I last installed w10, putting the boot manager last... But we're still here with the same outcome. 

Open to suggestions... 

• IXL
    Options
    Just to explain this a tad further, I have installed the latest install with this order as per screenshot as well...  So basically to answer your question Jack, yes, I believe that has already been tried... 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,760 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Try reinstalling windows in legacy mode, as colleague JackE said, like this: 

Unable to boot from a USB recovery key on the Revo RL70

How can I boot from a UEFI USB recovery key?

A UEFI USB recovery key will be seen as a normal USB device.

Use the following steps to make the UEFI USB device visible in the boot menu.

1. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    2. At the BIOS screen, use the left arrow key to highlight Advanced.
    3. Use the down arrow key to highlight and select Legacy USB Support.
    4. Press Enter and select DISABLED.
    5. Press the F10 key to save and exit setup.

Your UEFI USB device will now been seen from the boot menu as a UEFI device.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,760 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    With the legacy usb support option disabled and the flash drive converted to mbr, I think you can reinstall windows in legacy mode.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• IXL
    Options
    OK, I will give that a try...  I will come back tomorrow and let you know... (Wife will kill me if I do anymore today, its our Wedding Anniversary, so were off out.. lol)

Thank you so much for the moment.  I'll update you tomorrow. 

• IXL
    Options
    With the legacy usb support option disabled and the flash drive converted to mbr, I think you can reinstall windows in legacy mode.

Hi Sorry, I havent had chance to look into this since last post, its been a major busy week.  

I understood the bit about USB Support disabled, but I overlooked your comment on MBR, its not something I have done before.  Please can you explain what you mean here please?   

The USB drive can currently be accessed and started just fine as it is and W10 installs fine from it, but what I think you are saying is that the USB drive itself needs to be converted to MBR for it to still install W10 in a legacy mode. (This is all a bit strange and new to me).

I dont want to loose what I have on the USB drive, is there a way to do this properly that you can recommend?

• JackE
    Options
    MBR is an older boot and partitioning scheme for HDDs limited to 4 physical partitons of about 2TB each. GPT is a newer scheme offering more partitions of much higher capacity.

Legacy mode uses MBR partitioning for booting. UEFI mode uses GPT. Win7 only uses legacy MBR. Win10 can use both legacy MBR and UEFI GPT partitoned HDDs.

As I noted earlier, device drivers might have a better chance if Win10 was installed in legacy MBR Win7 compatibility mode. Not guaranteed to work though.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• IXL
    Options
    Hiya, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I read about that elsewhere, but I dont know how in this case to actually do this, Are you suggesting the usb stick has to be formatted in MBR and then somehow get the media installed onto the usb stick, so that it will then install the same way to teh HDD when I come to do the install onto the REVO?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes using Rufus freeware. Basically Rufus makes a bootable USB stick to use for installing Windows or Linux isos on both MBR and/or GPT partitioned HDDs. Very easy and intuitive to use Rufus.

Once you've made the installation USB stick, use set the BIOS to legacy mode and boot from the stick. If the HDD isn't recognized by the installation stick, then it probably means the HDD is GPT partitioned. The stick should have an advanced option to run the X : \ > command prompt. From the X ; \ > command prompt, we'd run DISKPART to change the HDD to MBR partitioning from GPT.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes, you should convert the flash drive to mbr like this:

Then you can install 32bit or 64bit windows. I would opt for the 32bits version. The problem is, I am not finding the option to enable launch csm and thus disable uefi mode in the rl70 bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    Maybe setting and saving a BIOS password will allow changing to Legacy mode after re-entering the BIOS with the password? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• IXL
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your replies.  

I'll start by setting a BIOS password first and see what that does.  I'll come back to you in a few hours (just out away at the moment).  
  • IXL
    Options
    OK, so what will do a bit later, is to download the windows 10 again via the media creation tool, but this time get it to create an ISO.  (Previously I just got the media creation tool, to create the media directly onto the USB drive.)

I'll then use Rufus to create the ISO onto the USB stick, in MBR format. (if I am making sense).

Once this is done, I'll first check the BIOS as per my last message and see if I can set a password and see what this shows.  I'll let you know before doing anything else.

Let me know if I have anything wrong in what I have said so far. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I always choose to convert the usb stick manually, as it is in my screenshot. Be sure to disable secure boot as well.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer