How can I set a hard disk drive password on my computer?
Setting a hard disk drive (HDD) password is an effective way to prevent unauthorized access to your HDD. It will prompt you for a password when powering on the system, and will prevent to start up the system without the right password.
Setting a HDD password:
- Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to Security or BIOS Security Features.
- Highlight Set HDD Password or Change HDD Password and press the ENTER key.
- You will be prompted to enter a password, and a second time to verify it. To create the password, use only alphanumeric characters like A-Z, a-z, 0-9.
- Press ENTER to confirm password creation.
- A message will appear stating Changes have been saved. Press ENTER to continue.
- Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
Acer is not responsible for lost or forgotten personal passwords. When sending in a system for service, the password should be removed, as charges will be required for Acer to remove HDD passwords.