This article only applies to: Aspire A515-55 and A515-56 models.
Some Aspire 5 models include a storage bay that allows for installation of a secondary 2.5" hard drive or solid state drive. Use the steps below to install a secondary drive in your system.
Note: Acer recommends wearing an anti-static wrist strap when adding hardware to your system.
1) Remove the AC adapter and make sure your system is completely powered off.
2) Remove the eleven (11) screws securing the lower case to the upper case.
3) Open the lid in 90°, place the LCD cover on a stable surface and remove the lower case as shown in the image below. You may need to use a plastic pry tool designed to work on electronics to get started.
5) Disconnect the battery from the mainboard.
6) Connect the hard drive cable to the hard drive module connector.
7) Place the assembled hard drive module into its slot on the upper case. Make sure the guide pins are properly aligned.
8) Secure the hard drive module to the upper case with the four (4) screws (screw torque force = 1.8~2.2kgf.cm).
9) Connect the hard drive cable to the mainboard connector and close the latch.
10) Connect the battery to the mainboard.
11) Align and place the lower case on the upper case.
12) Press firmly on the side latches until they are snapped into place.
13) Secure the lower case with the eleven (11) screws you removed in step 2.