Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 | CPU throttle 2.0Ghz when reaching 75 Celsius | AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

Options

Answers

• 1337Braz
    1337Braz Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Kiks said:
    Hey, i've got the exact same problem
    Its been like, 5 months... a week or another i come here to check the status of this post.... I research sometimes, never found any solution. Calling the support here (Brazil) they told me that it is probrably the BIOS, but when reverted to the older version available, the problem persisted. 
    I just registered in this forum to give volume on the number of people with this problem, and i think that acer can fix it, that this isnt something difficult to do
    Anyway, ill continue to research, and hopefully find the solution...
    Please, keep this thread alive and, if found, post the solution here.

Hello!
    Thank you for your comment. Sadly I don't think it will be fixed. We gotta deal with it.

• GAMING6698
    Options
    @1337Braz
    I think you need to update your bios version and you also need to open your laptop for cleaning dust 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • 1337Braz
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @GAMING6698
    Already did that. BIOS is updated to latest v1.18.
    Everything from my side has been done.

• GAMING6698
    Options
    @1337Braz
    Download msi afterburner then check temperature limit (default is 90+)

• 1337Braz
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @GAMING6698
    Im not trying to be rude or anything mate but you already posted same info on First page of this topic. Please post only NEW info.
    And as you can see you have "-43" version of your Nitro 5 and we have issue with "-42".
    Those two are different models with different CPU. The biggest difference is H series CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 3550H) while we have 2500U.

*Also the issue we experience is CPU throttle not GPU.

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,353 Pathfinder
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @1337Braz
    Oh i forgot about that then download ryzen controller(work on ryzen mobile series)
    →Download and open ryzen controller 
    →tick on temperature limit and check 
    https://www.ryzencontroller.com/
    (Just check temperature limit otherwise you will damage your laptop)

• 1337Braz
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @GAMING6698
    As you can read from my first post:
    "I've used RyzenADJ and Ryzen Controller (Unofficial Ryzen Master overclock tool) but those programs cannot remove this 75 Celsius thermal restriction for some reason."

Please read whole thread mate so we dont have to spam with same info/posts. :)

• amoleb1982
    amoleb1982 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Any luck so far? Same problem I'm facing. Ofc all games will make the temps to go beyond 75 but cpu throttling at such temps is not acceptable at all knowing that ryzen cpu can easily withstand temps upto 95 degrees.
  • 1337Braz
    Options
    @amoleb1982
    Nah man, nothing changed.

• P25ani
    P25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Same problem here, throttles to 2ghz when temps reaches 75. and stays at that frequency the entire gaming session. Can someone tell me how to contact Acer
  • 1337Braz
    Options
    @P25ani
    Acer Support is not gonna help... Dont waste your time.

• P25ani
    Options
    Only option left is repasting the CPU with a good thermal compound and then use a cooling pad. The max temps of the CPU as per AMD's website is 95c and here its throttling at 75.I get solid 130+fps in csgo , as soon as it throttles to 2ghz fps drops to 80-100ish .We are missing out some serious performance here. Acer Needs to look into this and push a BIOS update.
  • P25ani
    Options
    Same case in other games like Valorant 140+fps in the beginning and after a minute it throttles and fps drops to 70-100 ish
  • 1337Braz
    Options
    Yeah I dont think they will fix it lol

• P25ani
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Finally Fixed it. I undervolted the Rx560x to 0.975v on core  and that reduced the overall system temps to -10°c. Used Ryzen Master to set tdp to 22W (Default was 25w) . set Fans Near max using NitroSense. Now Cpu goes Max to 71°c and keeps around 3.00-3.1 ghz on all cores and gpu styas at 59°c. Strange thing is even if it hits 75 now  its will throttle to 2ghz for a few seconds and then again boosts back to  3.2ghz. Seems like i finnaly got a workaround to this
  • P25ani
    Options
    Undervolt the dgpu bois. that will significantly reduce overall temps.
  • 1337Braz
    Options
    @P25ani
    You used msi afterburner to undervolt?

While this might give you Lower temps you will lose some GPU performance while playing GPU intensive games

• P25ani
    Options
    undervolting doesnt reduce performance bro. underclocking does. i am infact getting higher fps in some games now. And yes I used Msi Afterburner to unlock voltage controls
  • 1337Braz
    Options
    I might give it a try actually... Even tho it doesnt bother me that much anymore lol