Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 | CPU throttle 2.0Ghz when reaching 75 Celsius | AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

1337Braz1337Braz Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
edited May 2020 in Nitro and Aspire Gaming
Hello,

Im using Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 v1.17 BIOS update, with Ryzen 5 2500u RX 560X 4GB, 12 GB DDR4, SSD+HDD, Windows 10 PRO.
I have proper up to date AMD Chipset drivers and Adrenaline 2020 GPU driver.

Im getting issues with my CPU. Whenever CPU reaches 75 Celsius it will downclock to 2.00Ghz (base clock) even tho it can easly handle 95+ Celsius.
Boost clock (3+GHz) gets back as soon as it drops down a bit (usually in few seconds)

This bothers me because I get stuttering ingame because of this throttling for no reason. 75 Celsius is a joke for this CPU.

I've tried to repaste both GPU and CPU. I've used RyzenADJ and Ryzen Controller (Unofficial Ryzen Master overclock tool) but those programs cannot remove this 75 Celsius thermal restriction for some reason.

Is there any way to report this to ACER or increase max temperature to atleast 85 Celsius?
I assume a BIOS update would fix this.

Thanks!
Best regards.

Best Answers

• P25aniP25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Accepted Answer
    Finally Fixed it. I undervolted the Rx560x to 0.975v on core  and that reduced the overall system temps to -10°c. Used Ryzen Master to set tdp to 22W (Default was 25w) . set Fans Near max using NitroSense. Now Cpu goes Max to 71°c and keeps around 3.00-3.1 ghz on all cores and gpu styas at 59°c. Strange thing is even if it hits 75 now  its will throttle to 2ghz for a few seconds and then again boosts back to  3.2ghz. Seems like i finnaly got a workaround to this
  • P25aniP25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Accepted Answer
    Results after Undervolting and reducing TDp to 22W. Temps are way lower and Cpu is hitting 3.2ghz on all cores all the time.  No more throttling .

• 1337Braz1337Braz Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I will no longer reply or update this thread.

The reason is I sold my Acer Nitro 5 and bought the new Lenovo Legion 5 - that was the best fix for this issue.

In case anyone wants a workaround for Nitro 5 CPU throttle issue, user @P25ani explained above how undervolting GPU and limiting CPU TDP can "fix" this issue.

Have a good day everyone.

FAQ & Answers

Hello, 
    anyone?
    Im sure Im not te only one with this issue.

Thanks

• GAMING6698GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 4,510 Pathfinder
    @1337Braz
    How did you check temperature in nitrosense and when?
    windows 10 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community
    edited May 2020
    @GAMING6698
    Temperatures are provided by MSI Afterburner and HWinfo64. Displayed in Riva overlay ingame.
    So every change is real time and I can clearly see whats happening.

@1337Braz
    open nitrosense and minimize it, then play your game after sometime when there is throttling minimize your game and check temperature in nitrosense immediately.
    @GAMING6698
    Nitro sense is Always running.
    Temperatures match on both Nitro Sense and HWinfo64.

75 Celsius causes 2.0GHz throttle.

@1337Braz
    Did you try to update bios?
    @GAMING6698
    BIOS is updated to latest version, v1.17

@1337Braz
    🤔i am out of ideas
    Try to reset 
    @GAMING6698
    Reset what?
    Like Im certain this is a BIOS fault and should be fixed by Acer or with external program.. havent had any luck yet.

Acer email support is not helping with anything

Bump.

Anyone? Any ideas?
    Acer moderators?

Bump #2

• yeeeeeeeetyeeeeeeeet Member Posts: 1 New User
    @1337Braz
    Did you find a solution im having the exact same problem with the same laptop
    @yeeeeeeeet No, this cannot be "fixed" by any way. Tried everything. Even Acer Support cant help. Its supposed to be like that for protection... I assume only BIOS Flash would change this, but I wont do that.. we gotta learn how to live with it.

• WilliamRVWilliamRV Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I have the same ploblem in my Acer nitro an515-42 :(
  • Robin038Robin038 Member Posts: 125 Enthusiast
    edited April 10
    Same  problem... Anyone solved it???

When I try downgrading bios it works untill I restart windows then it downloads latest driver 
  • Robin038Robin038 Member Posts: 125 Enthusiast
    I downgraded to 1.16 and 1.13 but still the same issue... I think they wont fix it because they think it gets to Hot or something... Only 75 degrees... And i am sad because i updated the bios and my laptop is slower 
  • ostkrovostkrov Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

its a thermal throttling problem on a CPU-MB you need to give it to "Warranty Service for the change CPU" or MB or maybe unlock the safety things on mb
    note: i have the same problem with when degree going to 65C+ CPU stuck itself to 1.98 - 2.00 GHz (bios flash etc. not working)

and i gived to warranty service.
    @ostkrov @Robin038 @WilliamRV @yeeeeeeeet
    Hey guys!
    Acer released new BIOS update this month (v1.18) and it seems I no longer have issues with CPU.

Can you also check that out?

Link: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1

Nvm .. its still not fixed.

• KiksKiks Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey, i've got the exact same problem
    Its been like, 5 months... a week or another i come here to check the status of this post.... I research sometimes, never found any solution. Calling the support here (Brazil) they told me that it is probrably the BIOS, but when reverted to the older version available, the problem persisted. 
    I just registered in this forum to give volume on the number of people with this problem, and i think that acer can fix it, that this isnt something difficult to do
    Anyway, ill continue to research, and hopefully find the solution...
    Please, keep this thread alive and, if found, post the solution here.