Flash BIOS to an older version on unbootable laptop Nitro 5 AN515-52-54GU

Options
sanHD
sanHD Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited October 2020 in Nitro Gaming
First I updated the BIOS to latest version (v1.28) from Acer Product website using the .exe file , system booted normally and was running with no problems except it shuts down itself after 15-20 minutes without any warning (this problem started after BIOS update) , so I ran windows driver diagnostics tool just to make sure that the problem is not caused by any of the drivers , windows restarted and started checking drivers for any problems but got auto shut down before completion and so it entered a cycle in which whenever I turned on the laptop it starts checking for drivers and shuts itself down , so I tried to flash older BIOS v1.19 using .fd file and renaming it appropriately using USB Flash drive (Fn + Esc combo) but situation got worse and it was showing black screen and Power LED was constantly blinking, tried restarting 3-4 times but no luck.
After that I re flashed the newer BIOS (v1.28) using same method (Fn+Esc combo) , now it is at least showing the POST screen, but the HDD is not recognised in BIOS and so the laptop is unbootable .

(No need to mention but it is showing no bootable device found.)

Note 1: There is no physical damage to the laptop of any kind.

Note 2: I tried using Windows RE but no luck , also I tried using Windows PE (runs entirely on RAM with no problems) and ran chkdsk but HDD is not showing there too. Also the auto shut down problem still persists even on BIOS screen.

Laptop Model : Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-54GU

Best Answers

• sanHD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Update: So I replaced the Intel optane memory SSD with a WD Green and installed windows on it , now the laptop is bootable and then I properly flashed the newer BIOS v1.28. 
    After doing above procedure, the original 1 TB HGST harddrive was showing, so I formatted it and it is usable now :)

Now most of the problems are solved but laptop still shutdowns due to overheating, I guess I have to manually control the fan speed using Nitrosense app (probably coolboost isn't working) 

Please share if you guys have any advice on fixing the overheating problem.
    Also note that the fans/heatsink etc. are cleaned but problem still persists.
  • sanHD
    edited October 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Update 2: Now my laptop is working as expected, no more overheating and auto shutdowns.

The main reason behind all that was... Acer Care Center, after I uninstalled that I haven't faced any auto shutdowns and/or overheating issues.
    The system BIOS information is stored in Acer Care Center too and I think it's interfering with the system firmware somehow. Device Manager shows Firmware version 1.19 (which was the old one) but Acer Care Center shows 1.28.
    System restarts after 3 BIOS beeps which means RAM error but my RAM is working as expected (tested on other device) so its most likely the Care Center application creating the problem, now I uninstalled it and Laptop is running perfectly as new. :)

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is the hard drive showing up on the bios information tab? Also, on shutdown, try restarting the battery:
    Make sure your model has this button as well:
    Problema na bateria Nitro 5 AN515-51-52BF  Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sanHD
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hard drive is not showing up on the BIOS screen.
    That button in second image is not there.
    I will try restarting the battery and post an update.
  • sanHD
    Options
    Here's how it is
  • sanHD
    Options
    Tried restarting the battery, no luck
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a photo of the bios information guide?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sanHD
    Options
    BIOS Information.
  • sanHD
    edited October 2020
    Options
    BIOS Information

Thread was edited to hide sensitive information
  • sanHD
    Options
    One more thing, laptop gets auto shut down at 90°C (after BIOS update) , so, long operations can't be done.
  • sanHD
    Options
    waiting for response...
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    So now BIOS is ok right? Only HDD is not visible?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• sanHD
    Options
    Not sure if the BIOS are 100% ok because the auto shut down problem is still there , also HDD is not visible.
  • batmalin
    Options
    Reseat the HDD and set the sata operation mode in BIOS to AHCI. I option not available press Ctrl+S and it will show up.

• sanHD
    Options
    Tried HDD reseat and setting BIOS to AHCI, HDD still not visible.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Go to the advanced tab and check if the SATA CONFIGURATION or STORAGE DEVICE CONFIGURATION function appears.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sanHD
    Options
    It is there and both SATA ports (0 and 1) are enabled.
  • batmalin
    Options
    Try with other HDD then, if no avail. the BIOS is messed up and have to be force flashed with programmer.

• sanHD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Update: So I replaced the Intel optane memory SSD with a WD Green and installed windows on it , now the laptop is bootable and then I properly flashed the newer BIOS v1.28. 
    After doing above procedure, the original 1 TB HGST harddrive was showing, so I formatted it and it is usable now :)

Now most of the problems are solved but laptop still shutdowns due to overheating, I guess I have to manually control the fan speed using Nitrosense app (probably coolboost isn't working) 

Please share if you guys have any advice on fixing the overheating problem.
    Also note that the fans/heatsink etc. are cleaned but problem still persists.
  • batmalin
    Options
    For the fan control try this - https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc  it is the only SW which is able to read and to change settings of  the EC(embedded controller), as Acer has disabled fan conrol in BIOS and the option is not visible for the users. If it still overheats you have to think of re-paste and/or undervolt.

• sanHD
    Options
    Looks like not much can be done with the overheating problem, thanks everyone for the time and help.
  • batmalin
    Options
    You are welcome!