Has the Acer Aspire E5-576-392H Black Screen/Sleep/Screen Timeout issue been figured out yet?

Options
Kevinnivek
Kevinnivek Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

I've frequented many of the posts in this community regarding this pesky issue. It's been happening to my laptop since around March 2019 and for a few weeks after a microsoft update in December of that year it went away, until another microsoft update in January 2020 when it returned. 

Specifically my issue is that when my laptop is plugged in IF I leave it idle either for screen timeout or auto-sleep the screen goes black, the hard drive continues to spin and the activity light stays on. controls are unresponsive, FN+F6 or F5 do not work and a forced shutdown is needed. In this state I've even plugged it into a different monitor and confirmed there is no display output either. I'm currently running Windows 10 update 2004, drivers and Intel graphics drivers are up to date, BIOS is 1.49, I've run situations in which I disable fast startup hibernate etc and the problem still persists. When unplugged I encounter none of these problems.

I've done battery resets, uninstalled/reinstalled the  even changed the screen turn off times to NEVER when plugged in, and in this case when the laptop is unplugged it can successfully go into a sleep state. However when waking from the sleep state I get a black screen and no display output when using an external monitor. 

A couple things I have noticed when trying to get to the bottom of this issue. On the user sign-in screen when plugged in and left to idle (basically I don't log in). The screen will timeout after about 1-2 minutes and the laptop becomes unresponsive like the situation explained above. Well before the set time (10 minutes) for the screen to turn off in that state. This problem also occurs during under diagnostic mode (basic services and devices), but does NOT occur when in Safe mode. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,686 Trailblazer
    Options
    About when did you install BIOS v1.49? What was the factory version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    I installed it around June 2019 to my knowledge. I'm unsure of the factory version I want to guess 1.43 as that would've been the latest bios prior to me buying it. 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> changed the screen turn off times to NEVER when plugged in, and in this case when the laptop is unplugged it can successfully go into a sleep state. However when waking from the sleep state I get a black screen and no display output when using an external monitor. >>>

What happens when you change everything  in the power plan to never both plugged in and on battery AND everything in the power button settings to sleep both plugged in and on battery, then manually put the laptop to sleep by pressing the power button? Does the screen come back on when you press a key? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    >>> What happens when you change everything  in the power plan to never both plugged in and on battery AND everything in the power button settings to sleep both plugged in and on battery, then manually put the laptop to sleep by pressing the power button? Does the screen come back on when you press a key? >>>

When unplugged the laptop went to sleep with no issues,  when plugged in the same problem occurred.
  • JackE
    Options
    Is the charger's AC plug polarized? Or does it have a ground pin? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Is the charger's AC plug polarized? Or does it have a ground pin? Jack E/NJ

Yes
  • JackE
    Options
    Have you tried another wall socket preferrably on another circuit? Ideally at another house. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    Have you tried another wall socket preferrably on another circuit? Ideally at another house. Jack E/NJ

Oh sorry I didn't read that last part correctly. It's a grounded AC plug
  • JackE
    Options
    I just want to check that your wall socket is polarized correctly by checking the laptop's behavior on another wall socket, preferrably on another circuit or in another house. A properly grounded or polarized charger plug won't work the way it should  if the socket is improperly grounded or polarized. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    I just want to check that your wall socket is polarized correctly by checking the laptop's behavior on another wall socket, preferrably on another circuit or in another house. A properly grounded or polarized charger plug won't work the way it should  if the socket is improperly grounded or polarized. Jack E/NJ
    No problem, I'm a student at the moment and use different wall sockets or different circuits all the time around campus and that doesn't make any difference regardless. I forgot to mention in my OP so this may add a twist to your current thinking. But if left unplugged the problem does occur occasionally. 
  • b34stl0rd
    b34stl0rd Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    seems like this is an issue with almost all the acer laptops.
    I've been seeing so much posts about the black screen issue after sleep.
    Unfortunately I have the same issue and have been troubleshooting since months but didn't find any solution yet.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>But if left unplugged the problem does occur occasionally.  >>>

Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot of beginning of report if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    In case the picture doesn't load. 
    Design capacity: 62,160 mWh
    Full charge capacity: 47,086 mWh
  • JackE
    Options
    Seems OK. What happens when you change only the power/sleep button to turn the display off instead of put computer to sleep, both plugged in and unplugged? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    In both states the same issue happens. Fan is on and hard drive is spinning. 

I tried again in both states and quickly pressed a keyboard key to make sure it can wake up. In these situations the laptop did wake up only if a button was pressed immediately after turning off the screen otherwise. The crash above happened in both states
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The crash above happened in both states >>>

When the power button setting is still set to display off, what happens when you press FN+F6 to toggle the screen off? Then try to toggle it back on again with FN+F6, immediately and after a minute or two? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Options
    Yep, I actually tried that when testing your recommendation and still nothing. Plugged it into a different monitor and there was no display output there. 
  • JackE
    Options
    If FN+F6 and FN+F5 can't reliably and repeatedly toggle the screen off & on, then this seems more like a hardware or firmware issue. Does the v1.49 firmware have a function key behavior option in the Main tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinnivek

Tinkerer

Options
    Adding another test I did. After setting those same options to turn display off I tested it by pressing fn+f5 and fn+f6 before pressing the sleep button. They functioned as intended. But for some reason if the display turned off due to the sleep.button

I do not have a function key behavior tab. Just to verify are you're referring to the firmware tabs in device manager?
  • JackE
    Options
    No. The BIOS Main tab. Doesn't matter anyway. If FN+F5 and F6 work OK, then it's likely not the firmware or hardware. More likely just another Win10 power plan/button quirk. Not a rare thing. If it was mine, I'd live with the annoyance and hope a future update resolves it. If however you can't live with it, then back up your personal files and do an ALT+F10 Win10 refresh or full reset. Then immediately make sure ControlPanel's restore point app has SystemProtection turned on so that the offending Win10 update can be identified, reversed and avoided till a future update fixes it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ