SP515-51GN-83YY TravelMate to Spin 5...or should I get something else?

Options
FenderGuy
FenderGuy Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited April 23 in 2020 Archives
So its time for an Upgrade and Ive had my Travemate for about 4 years now and its still a workhorse and awesome. I am looking at the Spin-5-SP515-51GN-83YY, seems to fit my needs and has the Nvidia graphics card like my current Travelmate has....Also the Spin has a pen, that I would like to use to sign documents if need be. My new laptop would be for 50/50 business and personal. Would this be a good choice? Looking for owners of the Spin-5-SP515-51GN-83YY-SP515_51GN_83YY, for feedback? Also looking USB-C

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I really like the Spin and Switch series. I find that these days if my laptop doesn't have a touchscreen it interferes with my use. I keep touching the screen and only switch back to the touchpad when it doesn't respond. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    Spin-5-SP515-51GN-83YY has a 1TB drive, does anyone know if you can add a SSD to this model? Id like to run OS on SSD and have the 1TB for my storage: docs, music, videos, etc 
  • billsey
    Options
    @FenderGuy (gotta ask, you play a guitar or do body work n cars? :)), your laptop does support an M.2 SSD 2280, either SATA or NVMe. Just pick up and appropriate size and install it, then clone the existing HDD to it. Make sure the cloning software doesn't muck with partition sizes for the reserved UEFI and recovery partitions. Once that's done pull the HDD and reboot to reset to using the SSD as boot drive, then you can format the HDD and reinstall it as a data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FenderGuy
    edited April 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    @FenderGuy (gotta ask, you play a guitar or do body work n cars? :)), your laptop does support an M.2 SSD 2280, either SATA or NVMe. Just pick up and appropriate size and install it, then clone the existing HDD to it. Make sure the cloning software doesn't muck with partition sizes for the reserved UEFI and recovery partitions. Once that's done pull the HDD and reboot to reset to using the SSD as boot drive, then you can format the HDD and reinstall it as a data drive.
    Fender Guitars Vintage ones Had a 65 Jag, 76 Strat and now I just own a 65 Mustang …...I don't have the Spin 5 yet, I am looking to see if its the right model for me. But getting conflicting information on ability to add SSD and what year it was released. I still need to transfer over my current info from Travelmate so I want to make sure I choose right...
  • billsey
    Options
    Sweet! I have several guitars, but most are acoustic and none are really name brands. One of the lawsuit dreadnoughts, a St. George from the early 60s and a Texas from Argentina. Release year on the SP515-51GN model was 2017 IIRC, SSD compatibility is as I posted before. I don't see a SKU that uses a 9th gen CPU so it doesn't look like there has been an in model respin.
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    Well even though it was introduced in 2017 and being now 2020. I ended up buying my Spin-5-SP515-51GN-83YY online for $749 from Acer Recert through Walmart and picked up a protection plan for $88 for 3 years. I ended up ordering a Sabrent 256GB Internal SSD High Performance Rocket. Read the cloning software has issues, so I am starting off with a fresh new OS install on the SSD, since I like to customize my installs and remove some of the microsoft junk thats added. I sssume its better to remove the 1TB HD drive and install the SSD drive and install OS and than reinstall 1T HD and format as second drive for storage?
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, that's likely to be easiest. Start first by downloading all drivers from the Acer support site to a flash drive, just in case something doesn't come with the Windows install. Which size Rocket did you get? I see they are shipping up to 4TB now...
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yes, that's likely to be easiest. Start first by downloading all drivers from the Acer support site to a flash drive, just in case something doesn't come with the Windows install. Which size Rocket did you get? I see they are shipping up to 4TB now...

256 GB as thats all I need, its in my current TravelMate and never needed anything bigger since I have an external 1TB drive for storage 
  • FenderGuy
    Options

Well I got my Spin 5 on Saturday and its been a nightmare trying to get the SSD drive installed and a clean Windows 10 install on it. I spent 8 hours on Saturday doing this and nothing happened. The first thing I did was install the SSD with the HDD in place to create a simple volume as it wasn’t showing up when I detached the HDD and just installed the SSD to do a clean install.  I can confirm that the SSD is showing up as a secondary.  

When I went into the BIOS I had zero options to change the boot order and even the HDD wasn’t showing up, all that was showing up was boot manager.  The boot manager option doesn’t even let me change the boot. Advanced options state that the system doesn’t have a usb boot option.

I have confirmed that the SATA mode is set to AHCI I am thinking that the SSD might be the issue.

I installed it in my travelmate and it said the same thing NO BOOTABLE DRIVE I tried to go into the BIOS and see if I could change the boot order and nothing also.

I have the Sabrent 256gb rocket nvme pcie m.2 2280 Gen3 x4.

I am beyond frustrated at the moment and I am very disappointed with the Spin 5. The battery is horrible in the unit, unsure why Acer would even use 1TB HDD in a unit that seems to be of higher performance, I almost wanted to punch the screen on the windows upgrade I did to Pro. That took over 2 hours. Since I did just get it, I will send this unit back if I am not able to get the SSD as the main boot.

• billsey
    Options
    Your problem is actually that you know too much, things have changed a lot (for the better) since the old days of MBR disks. :) With a UEFI system there will only be Boot Manager, which is actually the boot info in the UEFI partition on your boot drive. If you have dual booting setup for multiple OSes then the boot manager will be what gives you the choice. When you clone the existing drive to the SSD it will create that partition (and the recovery partitions) as well as create and possibly resize the system partition ( C: ). If you then remove the HDD and boot it will use the SSD for booting and set the UEFI on the SSD as the default UEFI. You then reinstall the HDD and you'll be able to wipe it for use as a data partition. If you leave the UEFI partition intact then it might use that as default and it might just leave it as a backup. I believe the enumeration of devices during POST is what determines who's first on the list. To have a USB show up as a boot option you first turn on the boot option menu in BIOS, disable Secure Boot, which requires a known signed boot image, and save and exit. When you use the F12 to open the boot menu all UEFI boot options are shown, so a UEFI flash drive shows up in the list.
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    billsey said:
    Your problem is actually that you know too much, things have changed a lot (for the better) since the old days of MBR disks. :) With a UEFI system there will only be Boot Manager, which is actually the boot info in the UEFI partition on your boot drive. If you have dual booting setup for multiple OSes then the boot manager will be what gives you the choice. When you clone the existing drive to the SSD it will create that partition (and the recovery partitions) as well as create and possibly resize the system partition ( C: ). If you then remove the HDD and boot it will use the SSD for booting and set the UEFI on the SSD as the default UEFI. You then reinstall the HDD and you'll be able to wipe it for use as a data partition. If you leave the UEFI partition intact then it might use that as default and it might just leave it as a backup. I believe the enumeration of devices during POST is what determines who's first on the list. To have a USB show up as a boot option you first turn on the boot option menu in BIOS, disable Secure Boot, which requires a known signed boot image, and save and exit. When you use the F12 to open the boot menu all UEFI boot options are shown, so a UEFI flash drive shows up in the list.

Cant Clone the HDD to SSD as the HDD is 4096 and the SSD is 512 I have gotten errors using Macrium Reflect backup, imaging and cloning software stated sectors sizes are incomptiable. Ive used 3 cloning software programs.  I made the wrong choice in SSD size and the 2/1. 

I am done with it for now. I have requested to return the SSD and will do the same for the Spin 5 on Monday when I call in. I even think if I got it to work, I would not be happy with the batte y life and the size of the Spin 5. I also noticed that Acer released 4 new spin 5 models and the 13.5 model would work better for me than the 15.6 and might have better battery life due to the size. The spin 5 is a nice design and I not just giving up on owning one, I just got to make sure I am able to customize it to my needs: 2 drives, built in pen, etc 
  • billsey
    Options
    One of my friends just picked up a Spin 7 last week and I got to play with it while moving her files over from her old system (a Lenovo that originally came with Vista and was still running that. :)) it was awfully nice, so thin and light yet really decent speed. Windows was saying the battery life was just over 10 hours, but I didn't get to play long enough to test that...
    I think the last clone I did from big to small was with Minitool Partition Wizard and that worked cleanly for 1TB to 256GB.
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    @billsey Can you explain 1 x USB 3.1 (Type-C) port (Gen 1 up to 5 Gbps) supporting data, power and DisplayPort over USB-C? The Spin 5 SP515-51GN-83YY that I just sent back had this port, butI was not able to use my work Targus dock with it? The model is Tragus 4K Universal Docking Station USB 3.0, Single 4K or Dual HD Video, this dock does not have Thunderbolt. I have a daul monitor system at home and the Spin 5 would not connect to the Targus dock. 

• billsey
    Options
    Sure: 1 x USB 3.1 (Type-C) port (Gen 1 up to 5 Gbps) supporting data, power and DisplayPort over USB-C
    That means there is one USB-C port on the machine. That port meets to USB 3.1 generation 1 standard which bumps the speed up to 5Gbps from the 3.0 speed. It support data connection (such as a flash drive or other external data storage device. It also supports providing power for charging a device (note that it doesn't mean you can charge the laptop through this port), likely there are extended stats somewhere that say how much power it can provide to a device for charging, as well as the voltage that can be provided. Finally it allows you to connect a USB-C to DP cable and run a monitor directly off it.
    I have no idea why it wouldn't work with your Targus dock, unless maybe the dock expected USB-C 3.0 instead? But that really doesn't make sense... I see your dock is only version 3.0, but that shouldn't make any difference. What was failing with it?
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    @billsey I could not get the monitors to work with the Spin 5, I just recieved  my Acer Spin 5 SP513-53N-56CR  13.5 and this one is a winner for sure, smaller compact and just like my Travelmate its replacing, thinner. Ill connect my spin 5 to the targus and see if that works the monitors. The process of the change over has been slow, expecially transfering a lot of data from a HDD to SSD, I waited too long to get an external drive lol......do you know what SSDs Acer used in the Acer Spin 5 SP513-53N-56CR  or any Spins? Mine seems to be an Intel 600P SSD, looked up the reviews and it they havent been good for this SSD? They released in 2018 and my Acer Spin 5 SP513-53N-56CR  was made in 2019
  • billsey
    Options
    In the Service Guide they only list two SSDs installed in the SP513-53N:
    • SSD-M M.2 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A FW:80002C00 KN.2560G.027
    • SSD NAND 512GB SSDPEKKW512G7X3 MM#954501 KN.5120N.002
    That's a Hynix and the Intel 600P. The Hynix is 256GB, the Intel 512GB. I've got an Intel 2TB in my desktop and it's been just great! But I'm comparing it to the 2.5" 500GB SSD that was in there before. :)
    Let us know how the dock works out.
  • FenderGuy
    Options
    billsey said:
    In the Service Guide they only list two SSDs installed in the SP513-53N:
    • SSD-M M.2 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A FW:80002C00 KN.2560G.027
    • SSD NAND 512GB SSDPEKKW512G7X3 MM#954501 KN.5120N.002
    That's a Hynix and the Intel 600P. The Hynix is 256GB, the Intel 512GB. I've got an Intel 2TB in my desktop and it's been just great! But I'm comparing it to the 2.5" 500GB SSD that was in there before. :)
    Let us know how the dock works out.

Initially the setup on my SP513-53N-56CR was a pain, everything that could go wrong did. Window Pro upgrade and Office 2016 product keys not working and, icloud for outlook erroring out. As of today, everything is setup and working properly. So far the unit is amazing and everything that I wanted for my first 2 and 1, the metal finish is so much nicer than the plastic finish my Travelmate had, it just feels fancy and professional.  Being able to write and sign in digital PDFs is a plus for the business I am in and the ability to switch to tablet mode is a huge plus when signing documents. I opened up the internals to see if I could add a second SSD, no such look as there is no room due to the thin design, that’s a plus. I did notice that I have the Intel 600P at 256GB and not 512GB, no big deal as I picked up a 512GB SSD shortage unit for my documents, music and videos. I was able to connect my C-Port to the Targus dock I am using and use the dual monitors as well, this is a huge plus for me. As far the processor though, I was kind of expecting the 8th Gen i5 8526U to make a noticeable difference than the 5th Gen i7 I was using before? I mean I don’t notice lag but I also don’t notice a difference too. I waited a little too long to upgrade my devices and that’s something that I need to think about in the next 2 years, I was able to pay for my new device and SSD storage with the sale of my old Travelmate, dock 3 and 1TB Iomega HHD. Looking forward using the Spin 5.

• FenderGuy
    edited April 2020
    Options

I am not going to use my Spin 5 for gaming at all, but today as I am surfing I feel the lag and wondering if my Spin 5 is performing below? Bootup is super quick, but Ive noticed some lag on the net somtimes? 
  • billsey
    Options
    That scan is weird... It thinks your i5 is a single core processor? An i5 is a fair amount slower than the same generation i7, but not that much! What test are you running?
  • FenderGuy
    edited April 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    That scan is weird... It thinks your i5 is a single core processor? An i5 is a fair amount slower than the same generation i7, but not that much! What test are you running?
    @billsey The test is legit and came from https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Software I tested my old laptop before I sold it here also and the tests were correct. There is something wrong my Spin 5, today I backuped my itunes music to a folder on my desktop and when I clickec on the folders, the lag I was expericing to get into was that of a 1t gen HDD drive. I think my SSD drive is bad or something, it lags badly at times just doing simple task and gettng into folders on the drive itself. Just an FYI its a quad core i5 8th gen 1.6ghz vs 5th gen i7 dual core 2.45ghz processor that I replaced it with. I also went to user benchmark to compare processors and the i5 was at or above level proformance of the 5th gen i7 that i replaced, hence why I went with an i5. I have contacted ACER since the unit is till under warranty. I looked up the intel p600 SSD and it seems its a junk SSD....