Can I upgrade the CPU Cooler on my Acer Predator Orion 3000?

FlowerBoi
FlowerBoi Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

My CPU has been "Overheating" like, the idle temp is 40c and the web browsing temp is around 56c and when running a virus scan, it goes up to 81c and when exporting a video in Adobe Premiere Pro, it reaches 84c while increasing my fan speed to almost max using predator sense and opening my window (It's -12 outside right now🥶)  because it doesn't increase it enough automatically. And I think the current cooler right now in my PC is a stock intel one, so I would like to upgrade to a better cooler. But I do have some questions. Will this void my warrenty? How big should the cooler be? What cooler should I use? Do I have to reconfigure anything in the bios? Any other steps would be helpful since I've never upgraded/touched a CPU cooler in my entire life.

My PC specs are: Intel i7 9700, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 500 WATT PSU

Answers

• FlowerBoi

Tinkerer

Also, when exporting a "29 Min or sometimes 40 Min 1440p 60fps Highly edited video" the temps keep rising even at Max fan speed, but when I opened the windows, it cooled down signifcantly. I live in a very cold and snowy place, but that won't last too long when the Summer comes.☀️
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,311 Trailblazer
    @FlowerBoi specs call for the CPU temperature to stay below somewhere near 95ºC, so 81ºC isn't nearly out of line. The CPU will shut down due to high temps between 100ºC and 105ºC. That being said there's no reason why you couldn't put a better cooler in, it's a pretty standard mod for gamers. Your warranty should only be affected if you screw something up and zap the CPU or CPU fan. Any changes you make release them from warranty for those changes, not for the rest of the system. Warranties typically cover defects in materials and workmanship...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FlowerBoi

Tinkerer

billsey Do know any coolers that will fit in this PC, cuz it's pretty small. Do I have to reconfigure anything in the BIOS?

Also, when exporting a 40 Minute, 1440P60FPS video in Adobe Premiere Pro, it reaches 84c, keep in mind, I had to manually adjust the Fan Speed to max, even after doing that, the temps kept rising, I had to open the windows to keep it at 84-76c. It is -12 outside, but it won't be like that in the Summer. If I don't do anything, I think my PC would be in the 100s Celsius.
  • billsey
    I don't know which specific coolers will fit, you'll want to do some measurements for sure. Try that same test with the windows closed. Does it actually get to the 100ºC point? You can tell if it gets over because it'll just shut down when it's too hot. If you are getting into that range, where it actually shuts down I'm going to be asking if you are still in warranty, because the cooler isn't doing it's job. If it peaks at 85, or 90, or even 95 then you likely don't have much to worry about because the cooler is working. A better one could work better, but just swapping it because it might not be working at it's best doesn't mean the new one will do a better job.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FlowerBoi

Tinkerer

@billsey Will this Cooler work? https://www.amazon.ca/SCYTHE-Big-Shuriken-Cooler-SCBSK-3000/dp/B07MDXVLCZ I don’t know about what sockets and stuff, I don’t know if this will fit in my current socket. Also, here some pictures of the inside of my PC, sorry if it’s hard to see. I believe it’s stock Acer Cooler which I don’t know the exact size of but I’ve heard that it’s 60mm and the cooler I’m referring to is 69mm. Also, I think it won’t like shutdown, I think the clock speed will go way down which I kinda don’t want, or it might shutdown, also I want the PC to last long but I’ve heard that high temps like these can result in a shorter lifespan. Also the Cooler has 4 screws. panel on)
  • billsey
    Fans are typically measured by the width between two adjacent screws. You will have to take a ruler or tape measure, pull that side panel off and see what the size is. You can also measure the thickness of the fan and the distance between the top of the fan and the motherboard. Under the fan is a heat sink with a bunch of fins. The fan is always blowing air down through the fins of the heat sink. If the fins are too dusty they won't cool well or if the contact between the heat sink and the processor has gotten dirty or dried out it won't pull as much heat away from the processor. You will have to know the size before you can try a different one. If the fan is a 60mm (meaning the screws form a square 60mm x 60mm) then a 69mm fan will certainly not fit.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    I upgraded mine.
    The stock Intel cooler is garbage.

- Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    I had issues finding one that had proper clearance since the case is so small. I ended up grabbing this one as a temporary deal until I can get a proper liquid loop installed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H1VZ11F/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_TjNmEbVKKRT2K
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    FYI: The one I linked came with a Mobo installation bracket. I had to remove all the components and the mobo in order to place the new mountain bracket for the CPU cooler.

It's a bit involved to remove the mobo since everything including the optical drive and front panel needs to be disassembled to get at the mobo.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Also upgraded the PSU. 500 watt just isn't enough juice.
    - Hotel Hero
  • OzzY00000
    OzzY00000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Red-Sand said:
    Red-Sand said:
    I have the same pc and I will also instal the cooler master fan. can u show me how you did it
  • CR_Apollo
    CR_Apollo Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
    Hello all, while I have not installed it yet, I bought this one and it is an oldie, but is the best out there for high load heat transfer. all LGA11XX are the same as LGA1200. Because they designed this heat-sink to work on many models with their mounting kit, I have not had the time to pull the system apart yet to confirm everything, but do not pay attention to the Amazon sizes listed for thes. In the pics, you see the true size of it, by clicking on one of the actual images to being it up in a popup window, there is the actual size listed there. Even appears that you will be able to have all RAM sticks in with this one. Below is vid and below that's the amazon listing. For 50$ total Canadian, it's a steal!

• CR_Apollo
    CR_Apollo Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
    Better post with the size in the image below.

For anyone searching around these days for the best replacement heatsink and fan for the i5 or i7 systems, I came across this one. I ordered it but have not installed it yet, however, it is designed to fit LGA11XX which is the same as LGA1200 for the screw holes on the boards. I'll update the post when I do this eventually, but something to consider for those looking.

Because they designed this heat-sink to work on many models with their mounting kit which requires to pull the system apart and put in a new plate, I have not had the time to pull the system apart yet to confirm everything, but do not pay attention to the Amazon sizes listed for these. In the pics, you see the true size of it, by clicking on one of the actual images to bring it up in a popup window, there is the actual size listed there. Even appears that you will be able to have all RAM sticks in with this one. Below is vid and below that's the amazon listing. For 50$ total Canadian, it's a steal!

Images with size