X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

Answers

• Aldur67
    Aldur67 Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    billsey said:
    My guess is you'd all be more incensed if they released a fix that wasn't proven to work instead of waiting for them to verify they have it fully solved. :)
    Obviously people would be more upset if the firmware update didn't work or it caused problems. But it's kind of a jerk move to come here and say something along the lines of "calm down guys" when some of us, like myself, have been dealing with this problem for over 5 months.

I, for one, am fine with waiting a bit longer, but you need to understand the frustrations that many people having here after this $2700 gaming monitor started having massive problems from day one. Coming in here and telling everybody to "calm down" is neither helpful or productive.
  • Freedomx90a
    Freedomx90a Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

dlim389 said:
    Hi, I have the PG35VQ, I can confirm after updating to the new firmware released today i have no flicker or scanlines in any games. FH4, Witcher 3 and PUBG were 3 of the worst and its completely resolved now. Hope you guys get the x35 firmware asap!
    Thank you for the great news! I can't wait for Acer to release it's own firmware. Acer, how long for the x35 firmware update??? It's been overdue.. =)
    Yeah. If ASUS released new firmware update, then Acer better release new firmware update today! There's no excuse! 
    Here is the link for PG35 firmware:
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1041768/
  • dlim389
    dlim389 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    dlim389 said:
    Hi, I have the PG35VQ, I can confirm after updating to the new firmware released today i have no flicker or scanlines in any games. FH4, Witcher 3 and PUBG were 3 of the worst and its completely resolved now. Hope you guys get the x35 firmware asap!
    Thank you for the great news! I can't wait for Acer to release it's own firmware. Acer, how long for the x35 firmware update??? It's been overdue.. =)
    Yeah. If ASUS released new firmware update, then Acer better release new firmware update today! There's no excuse! 
    Here is the link for PG35 firmware:
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1041768/
    Oh thank god! Finally! 
  • dlim389
  • Ilcose
    Ilcose Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Updating right now. I’ll give you a feedback as soon as it finished.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Boatkettlecheese Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi Manny, firstly thanks for your work on this.

Does this update earse the professional colour calibration that 
    was done on the monitor(with the report) by acer?
  • Restzu
    Restzu Member Posts: 1 New User
    The Firmware Update for the PG35VQ has been officially released.
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD%20Monitors/PG35VQ/ROG_Swift_PG35VQ_FW_updater_MCM_105.zip
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited January 2020
    Hi Manny, firstly thanks for your work on this.

Does this update earse the professional colour calibration that 
    was done on the monitor(with the report) by acer?
    My apologies Boatkettlecheese, it looks it does change it. 
  • Ilcose
    Ilcose Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    The problem seems mitigated in game. But i was able to reproduce a very light interlace pattern in war thunder in a couple of contidions. But it is no longer showing heavy interlace pattern or flickering (scanlines on/off) like before.

This test works perfectly now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUgJ-2B7zo
    With this test it is still really bad instead: http://www.techmind.org/lcd/crosstalk2.html

The worst game i have currently installed showing this problem is war thunder with only SSAA 4x. So i can't effectively test with other games atm

• dlim389
    Hi all,

Great news! We have the firmware update available, please follow the instructions here: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/65552

Note: If you have HDR enable in Windows, please turn it off while performing the update.

Thank you,
    Acer-Manny
    So far so good, flickering is finally gone after new firmware update! 🤟
  • Aldur67
    Aldur67 Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    The flickering is gone for me too. I was a bit concerned at first because the update failed with a message about not being able to normalize the settings. So I tried to run the updater again and I received the message that my monitor was ineligible to update. So it looks like it updated correctly as the flickering is gone.  I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone out there that might get the "unable to normalize settings" warning.

Also, I had my X35 set to the User color settings, the firmware update set it to the Standard color settings and also reset my Relative Gamma settings to default. Easy fix but just another heads up for everyone.
  • Uzap
    Uzap Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Updates took me around 45 min(from screen) with a few blinking and calibrating during the process. Overall smooth software and monitor rebooted itself at the end of the installation. Upon reboot, monitor setting went back to default(65 brightness). Thumbs up for ACER
  • Junyosenkan
    Junyosenkan Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Aldur67 said:
    The flickering is gone for me too. I was a bit concerned at first because the update failed with a message about not being able to normalize the settings. So I tried to run the updater again and I received the message that my monitor was ineligible to update. So it looks like it updated correctly as the flickering is gone.  I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone out there that might get the "unable to normalize settings" warning.

Also, I had my X35 set to the User color settings, the firmware update set it to the Standard color settings and also reset my Relative Gamma settings to default. Easy fix but just another heads up for everyone.
    Which settings do you use on your monitor?

• Feklar
    Feklar Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Same here. Update was easy and took ~45 minutes. Same error message regarding normalized settings but the update worked and the flickering is gone. I just reset the monitor to factory specs before the update. After the update I simply recalibrated the monitor using the i1 Display Pro and DisplayCal and all good. Thanks Manny and Acer for making it easy and not send the monitor in. But next time please try and get it out before Asus. Bragging rights you know.
  • Blejd
    Blejd Member Posts: 4 New User
    For me I had to reset the monitor to factory settings and then I could upload the firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91Em_EqMg8
    Can someone give a link to this picture from youtube because I can't find anywhere ? ?
  • Paco572
    Paco572 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    I'll be the one to say it. 1000Nit, 200hz HDR gaming has arrived. I'm glad I didn't play my 3 other games, now I'll get the chance to play them in all their glory. I was amazed a just how much flickering was actually going on in FH4. I really didn't notice the scan lines all that much mostly due to always moving forward on the screen and not strafing left or right which really can highlight the scan-line problems, but now after the update, it's is so smooth, butter smooth perfect eye candy. I got eye strain looking as I might to see if it would flicker or anything out of the ordinary but there are no problems. Simply stunning.

I did have issues updating due to a multi monitor SLI setup.

Updating: Here's what I know, SLI must be disabled in NV control panel. All multi-monitors must be disconnected. SLI Bridge must be disconnected. In addition to the procedures outlined, IE: Never, Never and HDR off. Something of note, when the monitor came back to life after a successful update, G-Sync was disabled in the NV control panel. I suspect this was what caused my last update failure. Since I can't do it again, I would suggest to have G-Sync off in addition prior to updating. That's all I can think of. I would like now to extend a sincere thank you @AcerManny and to a certain Acer Facebook employee for everything you folks did for me. Please have a wonderful prosperous new year. Cheers!

PACO572

• Paco572
    Paco572 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Here you go @Blejd
    Enjoy
  • Blejd
    Blejd Member Posts: 4 New User
    Paco572 said:
    Here you go @Blejd
    Enjoy

Thx Dude :) all works fine now on my pg35vq :)
This discussion has been closed.