Predator Helios 300 CPU Fan Not Working

eetle35
eetle35 Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi!

I've had this computer for nearly 2 years now. It's the 2017-2018 model for the Predator Helios 300. For some reason, after hearing a weird clicking noise when running the fans during the day, my CPU fan simply won't run. When checking with Predator Sense, I see 0 rpm for the CPU. The GPU fan runs fine. I can confirm the fan itself isn't running, as I can see the GPU fan running from underneath the computer, whereas the CPU fan does not. Does anyone have solutions?

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It is ideal to really check the problem visually by opening the notebook as long as you really know how to open it! I suggest you check out these videos:
    https://youtu.be/Ph2ibK79zd8
    https://youtu.be/aPUCYUiGWZQ
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    edited December 2019
    In this case, you should open the notebook and check what is going on. Can you enter the exact model? Example V3-571-6682.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • eetle35
    The model is G3-571-77QK & I was planning on checking the inside. I just wanted to see if there was a simple solution I could do before that.
  • You can try resetting the battery:
    But I think it's some cpu fan failure.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eetle35
    Right, but the fan was working fine just today, aside from making a weird clicking noise for a few seconds. It was in my bag in the back seat of my car and fell from the seat onto the floor of the car. That makes me wonder if there's was just a loose wire or something?
  • eetle35
    Oh, and I don't think there's a hole for this model, is there?
  • Why you should open the notebook to check the fan:
    Above the battery reset hole is located in the lower right corner under the memory compartment.
    Resultado de imagem para reset battery acer an515-51

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eetle35
    I have the opportunity to open it up tomorrow, what should I be looking for? And, I recently applied thermal paste, so I'm worried about messing up the paste underneath the fan module. Is there a solution or is it nothing to worry about?
  • You should visually check whether fans are working or not. Is your notebook under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eetle35
    I can see that the CPU fan isn't working, as it is visible from beneath the laptop. The GPU fan is fine & able to run at maximum speed. I do not have the warranty, as I have repasted the laptop. Anyway, if I shut down the computer, how can I see if the fan is running?
  • When repeating, did you correctly connect the cpu fan? Have you tried just disconnecting and reconnecting the fans? 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eetle35
    I'll try it out and see what happens, but it will take a while, as I would have to rebuild the laptop every time I try something. Is there a way to test the fan without rebuilding the laptop?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    It is ideal to really check the problem visually by opening the notebook as long as you really know how to open it! I suggest you check out these videos:
    https://youtu.be/Ph2ibK79zd8
    https://youtu.be/aPUCYUiGWZQ

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eetle35
    I understand and I will open it up. My question is how do I know if what I've done will work? I open it, change something, close it, then test the fan. Is it possible to test the fan before I close the laptop up?
  • eetle35
    I managed to fix it, thanks for the help.
  • As well? How did you get it right? It would be interesting to post the solution here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ad33b
    Ad33b Member Posts: 3 New User
    eetle35 said:
    I managed to fix it, thanks for the help.
    How did you fix it? I am facing the same problem like you and I have ordered a replacement fan from ebay. Still have to wait a couple weeks before I get it in hand. Can you tell me how did you solve yours?
  • @Ad33b Do you own the model g3-571?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eetle35
    @Ad33b
    I didn't do anything to solve it, I think something was stuck in the fan. I opened my laptop up and hit it with some compressed air, to make sure anything stuck got out.
  • Ad33b
    Ad33b Member Posts: 3 New User

@Ad33b Do you own the model g3-571?
    No, I own ph317-51.