ThrottleStop Undervolt Profiles Pre-Made

Comments

• dontdropthesoap
    dontdropthesoap Member Posts: 3 New User
    I appreciate this info, but I am still confused on undervolting a helios 300 beyond the initial undervolt

https://youtu.be/bWrNGWVBw_E.

According to this review here it is suggested that predator sense overwrites and or deletes whatever custom changes you make to the undervolt.

Could you shine some light on this, looking at the forums it seems i'm not the only one confused on this. 

It seems no other tester had issues with this

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    I appreciate this info, but I am still confused on undervolting a helios 300 beyond the initial undervolt

According to this review here it is suggested that predator sense overwrites and or deletes whatever custom changes you make to the undervolt.

Could you shine some light on this, looking at the forums it seems i'm not the only one confused on this. 

Well.. Bob is NOT the guy you want to take advice from when undervolting (I'll explain in a bit).

It's a shame he pops up so high on the list when searching for Throttlestop undervolt guides on YouTube.
    And its waayyy to often people quote his videos to me as an argument against what I say like because he has a video it must be true......

BUT.. for thoroughness sake.. I went ahead and installed P-Sense fresh and tested using a non delayed task schedule for Throttlestop to test and found that Throttlestop overrides it just fine.
    I'm not sure why he was having issues.
    I even hit Turbo since it triggers the XTU profile for higher Power Limits then turned it off again and the UV did not change.
    So it does not appear that what he said is correct (And that's unsurprising).

Back to why he isn't a good person to follow...

Bob uses separate values for his Core and Cache offset values because he gets what he wants to see on SYNTHETIC benchmarks.
    Which is irrelevant.

If you have a different value for your Core and for Cache, the higher voltages of the two values will be used for "SSE2" CPU instructions.

For AVX CPU instructions, the cache voltage gets used and for SSE2 the core voltage gets used (or the higher of the two).
    This is important because for example:
    Prime95 utilizes AVX while games or other softwares might use SSE2.

These values should always be linked to match regardless if what you see in forums and on YouTube.

- Hotel Hero
  • Zeroel
    Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:

ThrottleStop Pre-Configured Setups

I've compiled a bundle of ThrottleStop configurations for various CPU types.
    Each of these downloads are specific to the CPU listed and come pre-setup to optimum undervolt, Speed Shift EPP, power limits and other various tweaks.

Each setup has energy governance for while plugged in and on battery:
    Profiles will automatically switch between AC and battery profiles when you plug or unplug your laptop.

Since the Nvidia GPU switches to "Powermizer" mode while on battery, the battery CPU profiles were adjusted accordingly to maintain proper performance and battery efficiency.

Note: Nothing negative can happen to your system from using these configurations. 
    At worst case - Your laptop will reboot but no damage would have been done (I have yet to see this happen from my files)
    These configurations can be used even if your Predator Sense has undervolting built in.

These profiles may cause certain games to lose a few FPS but drop temperatures variably between 5-20 C.

**DISCLAIMER**
    While I have tested these profiles extensively, that doesn't guarantee that your system will accept it without issue.
    Variables such as tweaks you've imposed yourself could cause conflicts with unknown effects.
    Please proceed with caution.

How to use these files:
    1. Simply download (& extract if required) the folder signatured with the same CPU you have in your system and place it in "My Documents"
    2. Open the folder and run the "Throttlestop.exe" and you're done. (Yes really it's that simple)

i5-7300HQ
    i7-7700HQ
    i5-8300Hi7-8750Hi5-9300H (Coming Soon)
    In progress (I do not have a system with this CPU at this time to test)
    i7-9750H

How to set Throttlestop to auto startup at boot

Once you have tested thoroughly the Throttlestop configurations you've downloaded (And by thoroughly I mean HOURS of gaming or high productivity use) you can set Throttlestop to automatically start at system boot up by following this guide to create a task schedule. I have yet to see any issues arise from using my setups.

Example photo of Before & After Throttlestop

Let me know in the comments below your results and if you have any questions!
    Enjoy!
    Hi there, master. I'm the guy that reformatted after predator sense wouldn't open and then had problems with the throttle stop app. I tried this solutions as you have advised on the other topic. Unfortunately, I have still been getting a lot of instances where my laptop would freeze. Most of the times under heavy load, and some times while browsing. I really believe it's throttle stop because I have tried 5 sessions without using it and my laptop didn't freeze. the problem though is that my temps hit 99C again. This is weird because before I reformatted, I followed the same video guide you posted on youtube to configure my TS. I know that different units have different values. which values should I try adjusting in the throttle stop app to try fixing this? Thank you!

• theycallmeloaf
    theycallmeloaf Member Posts: 4 New User
    Red-Sand said:

Well.. Bob is NOT the guy you want to take advice from when undervolting (I'll explain in a bit).

It's a shame he pops up so high on the list when searching for Throttlestop undervolt guides on YouTube.
    And its waayyy to often people quote his videos to me as an argument against what I say like because he has a video it must be true......

BUT.. for thoroughness sake.. I went ahead and installed P-Sense fresh and tested using a non delayed task schedule for Throttlestop to test and found that Throttlestop overrides it just fine.
    I even hit Turbo since it triggers the XTU profile for higher Power Limits then turned it off again and the UV did not change.

Bob uses separate values for his Core and Cache offset values because he gets what he wants to see on SYNTHETIC benchmarks.
    Which is irrelevant.

If you have a different value for your Core and for Cache, the higher voltages of the two values will be used for "SSE2" CPU instructions.

For AVX CPU instructions, the cache voltage gets used and for SSE2 the core voltage gets used (or the higher of the two).

These values should always be linked to match regardless if what you see in forums and on YouTube.

Thank you so much, to be honest -- I found Bob's videos to be rather narcissistic and blowhardy and didn't enjoy his content, but i was still concerned about his issues in tuning it.

I ended up buying a 17" 2060     :) 

One more question though,

What about overclocking, does that get overwritten when pressing turbo? How would one circumvent this if that's the case? Just never use the turbo button?
  • Red-Sand
    edited October 2019
    Zeroel said:
    Red-Sand said:

Each of these downloads are specific to the CPU listed and come pre-setup to optimum undervolt, Speed Shift EPP, power limits and other various tweaks.

Profiles will automatically switch between AC and battery profiles when you plug or unplug your laptop.

Since the Nvidia GPU switches to "Powermizer" mode while on battery, the battery CPU profiles were adjusted accordingly to maintain proper performance and battery efficiency.

Note: Nothing negative can happen to your system from using these configurations. 
    At worst case - Your laptop will reboot but no damage would have been done (I have yet to see this happen from my files)
    These configurations can be used even if your Predator Sense has undervolting built in.

These profiles may cause certain games to lose a few FPS but drop temperatures variably between 5-20 C.

**DISCLAIMER**
    While I have tested these profiles extensively, that doesn't guarantee that your system will accept it without issue.
    Variables such as tweaks you've imposed yourself could cause conflicts with unknown effects.

How to use these files:
    1. Simply download (& extract if required) the folder signatured with the same CPU you have in your system and place it in "My Documents"
    2. Open the folder and run the "Throttlestop.exe" and you're done. (Yes really it's that simple)

i5-7300HQ
    i7-7700HQ
    i7-9750H

Once you have tested thoroughly the Throttlestop configurations you've downloaded (And by thoroughly I mean HOURS of gaming or high productivity use) you can set Throttlestop to automatically start at system boot up by following this guide to create a task schedule. I have yet to see any issues arise from using my setups.

Enjoy!
    Hi there, master. I'm the guy that reformatted after predator sense wouldn't open and then had problems with the throttle stop app. I tried this solutions as you have advised on the other topic. Unfortunately, I have still been getting a lot of instances where my laptop would freeze. Most of the times under heavy load, and some times while browsing. I really believe it's throttle stop because I have tried 5 sessions without using it and my laptop didn't freeze. the problem though is that my temps hit 99C again. This is weird because before I reformatted, I followed the same video guide you posted on youtube to configure my TS. I know that different units have different values. which values should I try adjusting in the throttle stop app to try fixing this? Thank you!

As I mentioned in this post, if your concerned the undervolt is too low for your system to handle you can try lessening the undervolt until things are stable.
    Example: If your currently at -0.125 then change it to -0.124, then -0.123, then -0.122 ETC until it is stable. Be sure you change BOTH Core offset and Cache offset (In FIVR on Throttlestop) to be the same values as you adjust.

Here's what I recommend you do:

1. Default your BIOs - Press F2 on boot up to enter BIOs > F9 to default the BIOS > F10 to save & exit

2. Lessen undervolt until stable like I mentioned above. Throttlestop has a built in benchmark called TSBench that is very helpful in determining stability. When running the benchmark it will say "Error" if it feels the undervolt is too low.

3. If you're reaching 99 C then there's most likely an issue of thermal paste application to consider.. these units don't typically get that high especially since the CPU throttles it's clock speeds at 95 C. So going beyond 95 C typically means your paste has dried out or isn't applied properly.

*Edit* Also try lessening Speed Shift EPP to 110
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand said:

Which is irrelevant.

Thank you so much, to be honest -- I found Bob's videos to be rather narcissistic and blowhardy and didn't enjoy his content, but i was still concerned about his issues in tuning it.

What about overclocking, does that get overwritten when pressing turbo? How would one circumvent this if that's the case? Just never use the turbo button?

Overclocking does overwrite the values of third party softwares (like MSI AB) if ticked. So if you have a OC Scanner profile from MSI AB then hitting Turbo will reset the OC to be whatever Predator Senses OC values are.

A little trick for you:

1. Navigate to C:/ProgramData/OEM/PredatorSense > open the PredatorSense.config in Notepad. Here you will find the OC values P-Sense runs when hitting "Normal", "Fast" and "Turbo".

2. You can modify the values for your GPU's "Matching Device ID" in that config to be whatever values you've found to be stable. (I suggest leaving "Normal" at it's default values so there's no issues.

3. In order to save the config you have to take ownership of the config before Windows will let you save once you've edited.
    Here is a registry tweak that allows you to have a "Take Ownership" option pop up when you right click a folder and it will allow you to take ownership of that folder and all its contents.

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip

It also includes a file to remove the context menu item after if you don't want to leave it installed (I find it's quite useful).

You will right click the entire Predator Sense folder that the config is inside and take ownership.
    Once you've set the values to your liking, save and reboot your laptop.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Zeroel
    Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:
    Zeroel said:
    Red-Sand said:

**DISCLAIMER**

How to use these files:

i5-7300HQ
    i7-7700HQ
    i7-9750H

Enjoy!

As I mentioned in this post, if your concerned the undervolt is too low for your system to handle you can try lessening the undervolt until things are stable.
    Example: If your currently at -0.125 then change it to -0.124, then -0.123, then -0.122 ETC until it is stable. Be sure you change BOTH Core offset and Cache offset (In FIVR on Throttlestop) to be the same values as you adjust.

Here's what I recommend you do:

1. Default your BIOs - Press F2 on boot up to enter BIOs > F9 to default the BIOS > F10 to save & exit

2. Lessen undervolt until stable like I mentioned above. Throttlestop has a built in benchmark called TSBench that is very helpful in determining stability. When running the benchmark it will say "Error" if it feels the undervolt is too low.

3. If you're reaching 99 C then there's most likely an issue of thermal paste application to consider.. these units don't typically get that high especially since the CPU throttles it's clock speeds at 95 C. So going beyond 95 C typically means your paste has dried out or isn't applied properly.

*Edit* Also try lessening Speed Shift EPP to 110
    Thank you, senpai, this is why I always look for your posts and comments in this forum <3
  • PriyamMitra
    PriyamMitra Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Red-Sand said:

**DISCLAIMER**

How to use these files:

i5-7300HQ
    i7-7700HQ
    i7-9750H

Enjoy!
    Downloaded the values for i5-8300H and tried to apply it but pc got a blue screen of death after 5 minutes of gameplay. I then decreased the cache and core offset voltages by -10.00mv and then my pc was running fine after testing 3 hours of gameplay. Sadly, i didn't notice any difference in my cpu and gpu temperature as per predator sense- both of these had max temps of 95 degrees regardless if i used TS or not. I didn't fiddle with the rest of the values. Please help.
    I am also experiencing sudden lag spikes while gaming when my charger is plugged in. These spikes happen too often and it doesn't make a difference if i play a game from 2002 or 2019. I have already tried to see if changing my power plan between balanced and performance has any effect on this but there's no difference whatsoever. This problem gets solved when i unplug the charger but then i have to contend with the lag which happens as a result of unplugging the charger. :'3
  • ohfoxy
    ohfoxy Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2019
    I just wanted to report that the 8300h profile works perfectly with the 9300h as well. The processors are very similar as it is, so it made sense that they should require similar undervolt settings. I worked with tweaking your config in different ways but ultimately your existing profile for the 8300h offers the best balance of performance and temperature management that I have been able to attain. The battery profiles are phenomenal too, I wasn't able to play my usual games on battery without throttlestop as the system just didn't pump enough power into the CPU by default, and even more wonderful is the plugged-in profile which works flawlessly keeping temps hovering around 74c even when gaming for hours.

I know you may prefer to test yourself before putting your name on a release, but I have used the 8300h profile on my 9300h and played probably 80 hours cumulatively of Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3 on it (and we all know how hard BL3 works any system), and I haven't had any BSODs, and the max temp I've hit is 82c. 

Thank you so much for this, you really made me love my laptop that I otherwise wasn't certain that I was happy with!
  • Red-Sand
    edited October 2019
    Red-Sand said:

**DISCLAIMER**

How to use these files:

i5-7300HQ
    i7-7700HQ
    i7-9750H

Enjoy!
    Downloaded the values for i5-8300H and tried to apply it but pc got a blue screen of death after 5 minutes of gameplay. I then decreased the cache and core offset voltages by -10.00mv and then my pc was running fine after testing 3 hours of gameplay. Sadly, i didn't notice any difference in my cpu and gpu temperature as per predator sense- both of these had max temps of 95 degrees regardless if i used TS or not. I didn't fiddle with the rest of the values. Please help.
    I am also experiencing sudden lag spikes while gaming when my charger is plugged in. These spikes happen too often and it doesn't make a difference if i play a game from 2002 or 2019. I have already tried to see if changing my power plan between balanced and performance has any effect on this but there's no difference whatsoever. This problem gets solved when i unplug the charger but then i have to contend with the lag which happens as a result of unplugging the charger. :'3
    If your having temperatures of 95/95 C for CPU/GPU then your issue is either an excess amount of DUST or dried out/poor application of THERMAL PASTE.

A system properly pasted and not clogged with dust: The GPU should NEVER surpass 75-77 C even overclocked to it's maximum.
    Due to increased temps of the GPU+CPU the surrounding VRMs/chips/transistors etc have a vastly increased heat and causes BSODs and shut downs etc.

I recommend you have a qualified service technician clean your fans/heatsinks and repaste your CPU/GPU then give my configuration an unmodified test run.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Emdrag13
    Emdrag13 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Red-Sand said:
    Red-Sand said:

Which is irrelevant.

Overclocking does overwrite the values of third party softwares (like MSI AB) if ticked. So if you have a OC Scanner profile from MSI AB then hitting Turbo will reset the OC to be whatever Predator Senses OC values are.

A little trick for you:

1. Navigate to C:/ProgramData/OEM/PredatorSense > open the PredatorSense.config in Notepad. Here you will find the OC values P-Sense runs when hitting "Normal", "Fast" and "Turbo".

2. You can modify the values for your GPU's "Matching Device ID" in that config to be whatever values you've found to be stable. (I suggest leaving "Normal" at it's default values so there's no issues.

3. In order to save the config you have to take ownership of the config before Windows will let you save once you've edited.
    Here is a registry tweak that allows you to have a "Take Ownership" option pop up when you right click a folder and it will allow you to take ownership of that folder and all its contents.

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip

It also includes a file to remove the context menu item after if you don't want to leave it installed (I find it's quite useful).

You will right click the entire Predator Sense folder that the config is inside and take ownership.
    Once you've set the values to your liking, save and reboot your laptop.
    This is a cool trick is there anyway to adjust the fan profiles by editing the value of the fan speed??? I just want to drop the fan speed 500 rpm from idle so I can enjoy some quiet study session!!! Or maybe drop the CPU TDP from 45 to 40-35 as other laptop manufacturer will have set for quiet/office mode.

WILL LOVE YOU FOR LIFE IF YOU KNOW HOW
  • sepulturero
    sepulturero Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thank you for this! Will check if this will lower down the temp of my laptop. I recently upgraded my Ram and added a 2666mhz on my Acer nitro 5 which runs 2400mhz. After adding the ram, I played Ghost Recon Wildlands for around 30 minutes and the CPU temp reached 91 degrees. Not sure if it was due to the additional ram since I usually don't reach above 85 degrees when playing.
  • xChatog
    xChatog Member Posts: 4 New User
    I will like to say thanks, but i can't. Since i buy my laptop (predator 2018 ph315-51) i have issues such as performance and temperatures. before my cpu and gpu will most likely to hit up to 90 degrees, and also having bunch of lag spikes. Since i apply the pre made profiles, the lag spike has stopped but now my cpu hits almost 99 degrees and gpu constantly 95. HELP PLEASE.
  • Abrar_Rahman
    Abrar_Rahman Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:

**DISCLAIMER**

How to use these files:

i5-7300HQ
    i7-7700HQ
    i7-9750H

Enjoy!

Thanks red sand ... It was really great that it was possible to attain this kind of temp in full load ...I have tried the 8300H profile on my I5-9300H ... it has been worked pretty well .. but since 9300H is faster 100MHZ than the 8300H ... So is this profile limiting that extra juice that 9300H has over the 8300H ? And also when is the I5-9300H profile coming ?

And Thanks again ...
  • Red-Sand
    @Emdrag13

"This is a cool trick is there anyway to adjust the fan profiles by editing the value of the fan speed??? I just want to drop the fan speed 500 rpm from idle so I can enjoy some quiet study session!!! Or maybe drop the CPU TDP from 45 to 40-35 as other laptop manufacturer will have set for quiet/office mode.

WILL LOVE YOU FOR LIFE IF YOU KNOW HOW"

Well depends on your model.
    I did find a registry you can enable to get a "Silent Mode" added to Acer Quick Access and it works great on my Helios 500.
    But I noticed that it didn't work for all models just some.

The TDP can be lowered easily in Throttlestop, just go to the TPL section and at the top you'll be able to input both PL1 & PL2 to whatever you want.

Easier than that you can just activate the battery profile of my pre-configured setup which has a built in CPU clock cap l.. and when used simply as a profile lessens clock speeds, lowering fan noise considerably.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Thank you for this! Will check if this will lower down the temp of my laptop. I recently upgraded my Ram and added a 2666mhz on my Acer nitro 5 which runs 2400mhz. After adding the ram, I played Ghost Recon Wildlands for around 30 minutes and the CPU temp reached 91 degrees. Not sure if it was due to the additional ram since I usually don't reach above 85 degrees when playing.

With increased RAM comes increased CPU power/ability.
    That's most likely why you have a temperature increase.

Since your under 95 C there isn't any performance hit to worry about.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    xChatog said:
    I will like to say thanks, but i can't. Since i buy my laptop (predator 2018 ph315-51) i have issues such as performance and temperatures. before my cpu and gpu will most likely to hit up to 90 degrees, and also having bunch of lag spikes. Since i apply the pre made profiles, the lag spike has stopped but now my cpu hits almost 99 degrees and gpu constantly 95. HELP PLEASE.
    These issues require a repasting of the CPU/GPU or you simply have a lot of dust blocking the heatsinks for your airflow.

If it's new, then it's most likely in need of a repaste.

FYI: I have messed with the 2018 H300, and when everything is pasted properly, it's a beast of a machine.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ismar79
    Ismar79 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hy Guys,
    Im new to the predator community and never posted before but this time around i have get my self predator helios 2019 version with i7-9750H cpu and rtx 2060 gpu and im interesting in
    undervolthing cpu with throttlestop have use it before on my 2 year old nitro vn7-792G but there he was not undervolted with-125mV out of the box. My main concern is xtu and throttlestop i have read maybe for last 4 days thru de predator community but never saw someone ask this ad least not in this form like i needed to know so i don't make mistake and do something wrong. I saw red sand wroth in hes posts that they not conflict with each other, ok i can understand that part but now come the part i like to now what happens
    1. Relation between stock undervolt -125mV with XTU and Throttlestop  undervolt if i use it, lets say -140 mV like this one is most used by others. He wil get overwritten by throttlestop ??
    2. If i make task so throttlestop starts every time i turn my laptop on or reboot will he overwrite the stock XTU undervolt so i don't get conflicts with it.
    3 What happens with turbo button of the PS  if i need it to boost  the fans to max when needed and can i use it after using throttlestop at all ? because i red somewhere PS button will overwrite stock XTU with hes -125mV and throttlestop wil be absolete at that point. And if i turn turbo off will he come back to throttlestop values or will he remain on -125mV till next reboot?
    4. Also wil i be able to run the overclock of the gpu and boost of cpu with Throttlestop as mine main undervolt or like i wrote before i get -125mV with XTU service till next reboot of the laptop
    5.With HW monitor i cant see the stock undervolt and is this ok ?? It can only be seen if i run XTU uttility software??
    6. PS and HW monitor they show ad least to me 10 degree diffrance in temperatures of CPU only, Gpu ones are the same is this correct?? probably like some one sad we need to relay on predator sense to be accurate one.
    7. For how long can u mantain turbo button on with other words max fans and overclock of gpu cpu boost in watts?? is it 10 hours or just 1 hour or as long im gaming it shoud be on.
    My current temps are 85C on cpu with fans on auto with havy load of WOT all on ultra  with cpu usage of 50 procent so i think with more cpu demanding game he will get overheated,
    on turbo he gets around 78C-80C for GPU is 70 on auto and 60C with turbo  (1 hour gaming maybe 2) Hope you guys can shed some light on this before i do something i regret
    Thanks to all nice community i my say lots of diffrent stuf and expirinace to gain :)
  • ItsZenyn
    ItsZenyn Member Posts: 11 New User
    when everytime i open throttlestop it keeps on giving me the message "access is denies".what should i do?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Check your administrative permissions 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/