Vertical lines on Acer XB270HU bprz, flickering, and shutting down

cyllibi
cyllibi Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi Acer community,

I've got a problem with my XB270HU bprz IPS monitor. This started over a year ago, and continues to this day. There are 3 problems now, but it started with this one: weird discolored vertical lines appearing on the left side of the screen. Here is a screenshot of how it looks and how it impacts various colors:

https://i.imgur.com/TYhG0dS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KT5az8g.jpg

At first, I could get a temporary fix by shifting the Displayport cable around, but it became tougher over time. Then the display started flickering sometimes, and now, after a little flickering, the display will shut off. The monitor will still register as "on" and my computer still sees it, but no image.

I sent the monitor back to Acer once while it was under warranty and they reported that they were unable to replicate the issue. When I received it back, it did indeed work for about a month, but then the problems came back, and they came harder. The monitor is currently unusable. The warranty has expired and I don't know how to repair this or get it repaired - the "Repair my Acer" option on the product page won't even let me submit a request. With 27" size, IPS panels, 144hz, 4ms response and G-Sync, this is still the best I can get so I really don't want to have to discard it. I'm willing to try replacing components but I don't know where to find them. I welcome any suggestions.

Answers

• cyllibi
    Hey Acer community,

Hope everyone had a good week and a Happy Father's Day! I am still looking forward to some help on how I can repair my monitor.

Thanks.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Have you tried a new cable yet?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cyllibi
    Yeah, I tried new displayport cables and new power cables too in case there was some weird interference maybe. Plugged into the wall and plugged into a surge protector. Different ports on my video card too. Sometimes I'll get temporary screen restoration but the problems always come back.

At this time, I've bought another monitor that I'm using but I would readily swap the XB270HU back in if I could get it working again. The thing that's crazy to me is that I can't find anyone within reasonable distance of San Diego, at all, who is willing to attempt a repair. Used models of this are going for $300+ on eBay so I would gladly pay up to that amount to get this going again.
  • billsey
    On your SKU does it have more ports than just the DP? It's possible you have a mechanical problem with that connector.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cyllibi
    I think you might be right about that, but no, it's just the Displayport so I have nothing else to try. When I get some time, I'm gonna crack it open - I'll see if I can find a replacement part and then maybe I can find a way to get it going myself or at least I can more easily accept its fate as e-waste knowing I tried what I could. Thanks for checking in and responding billsey
  • billsey
    Let us know what you find.
  • BottomsUp
    BottomsUp Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have this exact same issue. did you find any solution? i am handy with a soldering iron and willing to crack upon and fix but can't find parts or schematics. I paid $700 for this monitor!!
  • cyllibi
    Sorry Bottoms, I haven't found a solution. I did open up the device but I didn't notice any apparent damage and I'm not really savvy enough to go much beyond that. I did think to take pictures at least; here's an album: https://imgur.com/a/VMS9yGi

I'm giving up. Mine is just waiting for an electronics recycling event at the high school near my place.
  • BottomsUp
    BottomsUp Member Posts: 2 New User
    thanks for the reply. I may trip to de-solder and replace that display port connector in your 3rd pic. thanks so much for responding. this is a great monitor. I'm so annoyed it's died. since I wrote the it started working but I bet as soon as I fire up a game it dies again. 
  • Caeg
    Caeg Member Posts: 1 New User
    BottomsUp said:
    thanks for the reply. I may trip to de-solder and replace that display port connector in your 3rd pic. thanks so much for responding. this is a great monitor. I'm so annoyed it's died. since I wrote the it started working but I bet as soon as I fire up a game it dies again. 
    Did you ever try replacing the display port? I’m having this issue too and thinking about doing the same. 
  • Musti999
    Musti999 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did anyone solve this issue?