Not detecting second HDD PH315-51

drdavidrs1
drdavidrs1 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a PH315-51 laptop, and i have installed a second HDD (Toshiba 1tb SATA). Now the Bios doesn't show it. I already formatted the disk as GPT and even installed a windows 10 copy using another laptop. I tried installing another disk (HGST 750 GB SATA) and also is not being detected by the bios. My bios version is 1.19. Please help.

Best Answer

• drdavidrs1
    Answer ✓
    Problem solved!!! I went to see a tech and he fixed the motherboard failure that was causing this issue. It was a problem with the motherboard, the cable, the disk and the port are perfect.

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    drdavidrs1 could it be that you pulled your sata cable a bit more and disconnected it from the mobo itself ?

Did you had a hdd in there when you bought it ? if not and this is the first time you are installing the 2.5" hdd could also be the sata cable does the hdd power up when you switch it one or theres no noise at all 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• drdavidrs1
    It didn't had the HDD, i bought it and install it for the first time... i don't feel the disk powering up, and the Intel rapid storage says 'empty port 4'. Already disconnected an reconnected the cable but nothing happened. if the problem is the SATA cable, what model should i get??
  • drdavidrs1
    Maybe Intel vtx and/or Intel vtd has anything to do with that problem??
  • These are the correct sata cables, depending on the video card version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Also as i previously said your cable might be loosen from the other end that connects to the mobo

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• drdavidrs1
    I'll see the cable connection with an expert.. update you later... Thank you
  • Ok my friend.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • drdavidrs1
    quick question... its possible that the SATA Port for the second bay may be factory locked or something??
  • No. But it is possible that the sata port is disabled here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdavidrs1
    OK, i went to see an expert he measured the power to the drive an is alright but its not getting the start signal to turn on the drive... he has power but not signal. The SATA ports were enable all the time and secure boot disable. I need to know if the start signal for the HDD comes from the Processor or nor and if there's any way to get the motherboard diagram. Thanks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    You said your notebook didn't come with hdd, right?
    It didn't had the HDD, i bought it and install it for the first time... i don't feel the disk powering up, and the Intel rapid storage says 'empty port 4'. Already disconnected an reconnected the cable but nothing happened. if the problem is the SATA cable, what model should i get??
    In this case, can you enter the exact model of your notebook? Example PH315-51-78NP. Also, did you get the correct cable according to the graphics card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdavidrs1
    edited August 2019
    The cable came with the laptop already. In the bios says is a PH315-51-78NP. If that's not enough, see if the serial number helps, NHQ3FAA001XXXXXXXXXXXX. I can't see the exact model right now.
    This model comes with i7-8750, 16 GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD.

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• One question: is hdd recognized in the information tab? At the beginning of the topic, you said that hdd is not recognized, but it may not be recognized only on the boot tab.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdavidrs1
    No, in the information tab it doesn't show it either, just intel SSD in HDD 0 but the other fiels are empty, the ones for HDD1 and ATAPI MODEL. In SATA mode I already tried RAID (RSD with Optane) and AHCI. Nothing
  • Have you tried uefi bios update? If the problem still persists, can you test with another sata cable?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdavidrs1
    the bios is currently 1.26 tahs the latest version in the acer site for this model
  • Have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdavidrs1
    Yes i did tried the battery reset. nothing worked. I need to know if the signal to start the HDD in the motherboard comes from the main processor, that's what's missing, the HDD has power.
    And also if there's any motherboard diagram/schematics that i can get.
    Thanks
  • I believe this kind of information cannot be published here in the community. In addition, it is very likely that the sata cable is in trouble. Could you test with another sata cable? Also, is your notebook under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdavidrs1
    The notebook is not in warranty, i that would be the case i didn't open it to check the cable connection. Yes, i'll try another sata cable. told you later.
    I understand about the motherboard schematics. Thank you