Anyone still having the same issue with the left hinge? Acer aspire v5-571P-6631

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Sorry. You've posted this on a users group who are neither ACER repair service employees nor contractors. I suggest that you go to this link to try to get it resolved by email or phone. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GeorgeBoast
    GeorgeBoast Member Posts: 1 New User

I also have an acer Aspire F5-573 model N16Q2

It is not even 2 years old and the left screen hinge is broker, causing the plastic all around the screen to buckle when the screen is opened. Makes for a difficult time opening it or closing it.

• JackE
    To prevent further damage and stress, strengthen the plasitc area with a 2-part epoxy like JBWeld and color-coordinated duct tape.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Disappointedmadhushalini
    Disappointedmadhushalini Member Posts: 2 New User
    We junked it and bought a new HP laptop for our daughter and it has held well for two years now. 
  • caldwjad000
    caldwjad000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've had my school issued Acer chromebook for 2.5 years and I've already had the headphone jack busted in twice for no reason and just now the left side hinge cracked in a straight line at the seam so now I am going to have to pay basically for a brand-new one in repairs, I am not very happy with acer.
  • We are facing the same issue. I had bought a laptop for my 10th grader. She has been quite responsible and had maintained the laptop in a very good condition.  It came out off warranty in September and now the monitor's left hinge has come off, the plastic was flimsy and has broke off.  The screen cannot be put back. The panel has come out of the frame. Such a shame! 
    Yes, the Acer cases are made of very poor plastics, they go brittle and/or crumble away, either after 12 months or most definitely over time, especially at the hinge area, where allot of force is put onto the bottom case mounts that are hinged into flimsy plastic mounts with brass female threading's, that either break or come apart. This happened to me on 2 Acer laptops models, that were out of warranty and I had to replace the bottom cases, which is a big job. Very poor from Acer as they should use better materials.
  • Sanguine
    Sanguine Member Posts: 1 New User
    So now it is the year 2020 and I note comments going back to 2014. Guess what?
    The left hinge on my acer lap top is broken, wish I had read this site before I bought the acer laptop. 
    I can't charge and I can't turn on, the computer is less than 1 yr old. 
  • JackE
    >>>I can't charge and I can't turn on, the computer is less than 1 yr old.  >>>

Then it should still be under warranty. Immediately click on the ACER worldwide link at the bottom of this page. Click your country. Then click on the support tab. Enter your machine's serial number  id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair service pronto. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• imene
    imene Member Posts: 3 New User
    I am facing the same issue .. I've been taking real good care of my SPIN 3 and now the hinge broke (that's what they told me) and the screen is popping out .. I am a student too and I can't afford to repair it.. I've had this pc since 2018 .. somebody has to take the blame for this and it is definitely not the customers
  • palms24
    palms24 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue. The left plastic hinge just broke on my 5-year Acer Switch 10 (aspire sw5-012). This would be my last Acer.
  • JackE
    Luckily they can usually be repaired with 2 part  epoxy like JBWeld. Unless you pay 50-100% more for a ruggedized metal case notebook of equivalent capabilities, all consumer grade plastic notebook mfrs have similar hinge failure rates due to the wear and tear of opening/closing the lid too much. It's the most physically-stressed part of any laptop, notebook or netbook.  Just google 'hinge' and the manufacturer of your choice (dell, asus, acer, hp, etc) and see the number of hinge-problem hits you get with each. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZedJack
    ZedJack Member Posts: 2 New User
    Alright this E1-E571 is old but the designed-in obsolescence has finally got to it, the left hinge has broken. I have had several laptops and worked on many more I have NEVER had an issue with ANY other make of laptop.

The stupid thing is Acer obviously design these things with a weakness and limited life-span that renders it unusable to create a replacement market. Well done I will be replacing this laptop soon but I will never, ever buy Acer again.

I suppose this will not get posted but I feel better now that I have commented on this design fault.
  • JackE
    ZedJack>>>I suppose this will not get posted but I feel better now that I have commented on this design fault.>>>

Sure your hinge rant get's posted here. So I suggest for your next laptop decision that you try this. Google 'hinge problem' & 'manufacturer name' (eg Dell, ACER, HP, ASUS, Toshiba or whatever you think might be a better laptop hinge design). Then simply look at the number of hits. Try the manufacturer with the least number of hits. I'm gonna guess that the manufacturer with a ruggedized case or a metal case laptop of yesteryear instead of a today's consumer plastic case will win your heart but not your wallet.   :)   Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• CarolV
    CarolV Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello.  My ASPIRE F15 F5-573G-58XS laptop left hinge area just broke.  There were bits of light gray plastic around, I can't see where from.  I have duct taped the screen face to the cover to keep it intact.  I am very carefully opening it and closing it with my thumb on the plastic hinge cover, now. I just need to know what I need to replace, it doesn't seem to be the metal hinge itself, I just took the laptop apart to try and figure it out. Can anyone from Acer please give me a hand figuring out what part needs to be replaced?  It's not warranty, I can do it myself.

• JackE
    Sorry. Very difficult to make any recommendations from a phoneshot. I suggest that you take it to a highly rated local shop like Mission for a repair estimate. https://www.missionrepaircentre.ca/

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Once you have it apart you can usually figure out what's wrong. Often when they're in the process of failing they wiggle enough to break the screw mounts. That pretty much needs something like epoxy or JB Weld to repair.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CarolV
    CarolV Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you.   Took it apart, the hinge 'arm', the part that goes up into the screen, had broken cleanly away from the hinge itself.   Replaced, done.   Not sure what the cracked plastic was, didn't have to glue anything, was expecting to. 
  • Dhiveshan
    Dhiveshan Member Posts: 1 New User
    We are experiencing the same issue. I had purchased an Acer laptop for her exams and the screw holding the screen on the left side gave out and the screen opened with the hinge coming out of place. We took it back to the store and when we asked that they check the damage they made it worse than it was now they are saying that the warranty doesn't cover it when it is evident that it was a manufacturing defect and now the blame is put on us, this is very disturbing to see your quality product being damaged so easily and no one is willing to own up to the damages caused to the laptop and making us pay for a problem the manufacturer did not check
  • Isa17
    Isa17 Member Posts: 2 New User
    We are having the same hinge issue with our Acer Swift as others. A screw, mounted in a plastic framed, broke out of the mounting and the screen separated. Thinking it would be fine because we bought an extended warranty which only excludes accidental damage, we sent it in. Like with others, Acer has deemed this accidental damage as there is no evidence of a history of mechanical defect per Acer. This issue is poor materials and design by Acer. We are currently in the process of escalating the issues, tho looking at the numerous issues people have had with the hinge and poor Acer support, I do not expect we will get anywhere. We are taking the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service though as there is nothing in the warranty mentioned the hinge is not covered and it was not accidental, so it should be under warranty. It feels as though Acer is passing the buck and refusing to support their product. Poor customer service eventually will catch up to them.
  • JackE
    Sorry, you are posting on an ACER users forum. We're not ACER employees or customer service. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.