SSD and Bios Acer ES 15 ( ES1-521-88R9 )

Marko
Marko Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi,

So like most people here i have problem with my Acer ES 15 ( ES1-521-88R9 ). It is AMD quad processor A8 with 8GB dd3 and R5 graphic card.

I have tried everything including updating Bios and fresh clean installation after reset. It is still really slow so I was thinking to switch on SSD.

Does anybody know does it support additional ssd hdd so i can put it in and install operation system on it and then have my 1000GB HDD as second drive or there is space for one only?

And is UEFI or Legacy BIOS boot mode faster, better for my laptop.

Sorry if this questions are silly but any help would be appreciated since I am not expert in these things.

Kind Regards

Marko

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You may replace the old 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD, remove the DVD tray and mount the old HDD on a DVD caddy. You definitely want  UEFI bootstrap, not legacy BIOS. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The hdd port and the hdd are integrated into the motherboard! Also, your notebook does not have a m2 door!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    As    egydiocoelho   says, no m.2 slot. Google 'HDD Caddy'. You must have a caddy to replace the DVD with old 2.5" 1TB HDD if you also want to use a 2.5" SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Go to this link for specs on compatible 2.5" SSDs. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-es1-521
    You don't have to purchase from them but they are competitive and usually guarantee what they recommend will work in your machine no questions asked. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Either slot should be fine for the primary. You might want to temporarily disconnect the old secondary HDD if it still has efi partition when first testing out the SSD boot. Sometimes the UEFI bootstrapper can get confused. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Hello! About slowness, have you checked that the disk is 100% in the task manager?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Marko

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Thank you for yor quick replay.
    No my disk usage jumps from 0-20 when not i use,
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    You may replace the old 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD, remove the DVD tray and mount the old HDD on a DVD caddy. You definitely want  UEFI bootstrap, not legacy BIOS. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Marko

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Cool,
    Do i need some adapterr cable to connect old hdd insted of DVD
    thank you
  • Marko

Tinkerer

Marko said:
    Cool,
    Do i need some adapterr cable to connect old hdd insted of DVD
    thank you

And do i have M.2 slot so  can buy only tiny card to put OS on it
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The hdd port and the hdd are integrated into the motherboard! Also, your notebook does not have a m2 door!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    As    egydiocoelho   says, no m.2 slot. Google 'HDD Caddy'. You must have a caddy to replace the DVD with old 2.5" 1TB HDD if you also want to use a 2.5" SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Marko

Tinkerer

Hi,

Thank you for you replay,

I will do that. Caddy cost only £5 and I do not remember last time I used DVD.

Thank you for you answers now only thing left is to find good SSD HDD for my laptop

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Go to this link for specs on compatible 2.5" SSDs. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-es1-521
    You don't have to purchase from them but they are competitive and usually guarantee what they recommend will work in your machine no questions asked. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Marko

Tinkerer

edited July 2019

Thank you.

I just ordered from them.

Benchmark results vs Kingston are much better.

Thank you for your help. I will report when everything arrives and is installed.

P.S.

Is it ok if I just put new SSD drive in DVD slot and make it primary after cloning it or preformance will be better if I put it in old hdd slot?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Either slot should be fine for the primary. You might want to temporarily disconnect the old secondary HDD if it still has efi partition when first testing out the SSD boot. Sometimes the UEFI bootstrapper can get confused. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ