Anyone still having the same issue with the left hinge? Acer aspire v5-571P-6631

Disappointedmadhushalini
Disappointedmadhushalini Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2020 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
We are facing the same issue. I had bought a laptop for my 10th grader. She has been quite responsible and had maintained the laptop in a very good condition.  It came out off warranty in September and now the monitor's left hinge has come off, the plastic was flimsy and has broke off.  The screen cannot be put back. The panel has come out of the frame. Such a shame! 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

Same issue? What model and number? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• aannouza
    aannouza Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought the acer aspire v about 18 months ago at a retail shop. I was impressed with specs and everything that came along with the computer but just recently I have had problems with hinges. As they have popped out and I can not unfortunately close my computer. When purchasing the acer I have had a lot of problems in the past such as the charger port and hinges before. The material used for this laptop was cheap plastic. As a student I do not have that much money as I am in debt for school, I spent a fair amount on this laptop about $1000. When purchasing this I assumed it was made properly and researched on how durable this laptop. I called in the company in which they do not even fix themselves, they instead sent me to a third party in which their trying to charge me $200 usd which converts into $250 cad. This would turn my original laptop into a $1250. Which at this price I could have gotten an Alienware or gaming computer with better specs and materials. I have bought over three acer laptops and always had a problem, and they never want to fix it or take the blame. My parents have had these problems with hp and they have simply sent them a replacement laptop free of charge. To my knowledge they discounted my laptop model as they have found defects in it. So as a customer they did not take back my model or gave me extended warranty on this laptop. As well I am finding that my laptop keyboard is splitting in half with the bottom part which I always have to put back in its place. When making a product and putting your name on it you want it to be the best and when you have to recall these from retail shops and not give anything to customers who bought originally is actually absurd. When researching more into this problem you find out that there are thousands of people with this problem. As I take care of my laptop properly I have bag that I always put it in, which makes it secure. Now with the customer service and how cheap the materials are I am never going to buy an acer again or recommended it to my friends, especially with the customer service.

Here are examples of people’s problems with this laptop and the company. They had a lawsuit against them because they did not properly install the memory into their laptops.  These people only owned these laptops for 6 months to a year and they were cracking and destroying. Just research broken hinge acer aspire and google makes millions of results.  I would never recommend acer as there are problems with hinges and charger.

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-e1-571-hinge-loose.785357/

law360.com/articles/432468/acer-to-pay-23m-to-end-faulty-laptop-class-action

community.acer.com/en/discussion/249366/loose-screen-hinge-aspire-v5-571p

community.acer.com/en/discussion/298602/acer-aspire-v5-hinge-cracked-touchscreen

community.acer.com/en/discussion/296148/acer-laptop-left-side-screen-hinge-problem 

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Disappointedmadhushalini & aannouza,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems, can i have the serial number of your units via (PM) to take a look and better help on this matter?

Thanks,
    AcerManny
  • Lmaxwell
    Lmaxwell Member Posts: 1 New User
    We have had our Acer laptop for less than six months. We bought it for my son, and it lives on his desk 95% of the time. He is very responsible with it and it has never been dropped or abused. It has been cracking and popping when opening and closing for the last couple of weeks. Today, there are little shards of plastic that haven broken off and it appears the casing is coming apart from the screen, same as I have seen in many of these forums. Has anyone had luck with either returning the computer or having it adequately fixed? Does Acer have a solution for this apparently frequent and known issue?
  • JackE
    @Lmaxwell>>>We have had our Acer laptop for less than six months.>>>

Don't fuss with it. Arrange for warranty repair ASAP. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• accorreia
    accorreia Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2018

I'm from Portugal and bought the ACER E5-521-22pd Amd E2-6110-4-500-15.6'', on April 26, 2015. Besides the regular 3 years warranty, I bought a 2 years warranty period extension.

One month ago I had an issue with the left hinge, which made the laptop unusable. I tried to use the warranty extension but the computer vendor refused by arguing that it was a physical issue not covered by the supplementary warranty.

Since this seems to be a structural problem with this ACER model (and I bought the supplementary warranty), it is possible to have the problem correct by ACER representative here in Portugal?

s/n: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Regards
    A.Correia

[Edited post to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]
  • JackE
    edited May 2018
    @accorreia Go here to try to arrange for a warranty repair. https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/PT/content/support  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bking25
    Bking25 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @Acer-Manny

Daughter came home from college with the same issue, broken hinge.   What can we do to fix? 
  • iToki
    iToki Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just bought my Acer Aspire E15 near a year ago, just this week I realized that the left corner of the screen frame made a cracking sound when I opened it. I used my laptop with care thus far, and am satisfied with its performance. I have never opened/closed my laptop roughly but I'm quite disappointed when the crack happened since I found out that lots of other Acer users out there have the same problem as me. For now, it is best that I leave the screen opened as it is and leave it on the table. No other hardware problems so far and I hope that none would come in the near future. My family have a bunch of other laptops and none have a broken hinge problem so far. I figured that my problem occurred might be because of my laptop's slim feature, but I did handle it with care. So why the heck does this.... Am very disappointed in this. Hope your company could fix this in your future products.
  • JackE
    @iToki>>>I just bought my Acer Aspire E15 near a year ago>>>

Just bought? Near a year? If it's less than a year, then arrange for a warranty repair ASAP. If not, then use duct tape to help prevent any further stress damage. Excessive and unnecessary laptop opening/closing generally isn't a good habit anyway. It not only stresses hinges, but can result in conductor trace breaks in the ribbon cable or wire bundles from the mainboard to the screen, vidicam and other components. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into issues with hinges. I can certainly understand the frustration, however, I can assure you that a far larger portion of Acer laptops do not have this issue. A lot of research, time and development go into the area around the hinges to minimize issues, but hinges have been failing on clam-shell notebooks for as long as they've been built, and that's not just related to Acer, a quick google search replacing Acer for another manufacture is sure to produce the same results. If your unit is still under warranty please contact your local Acer support center for better assistance, you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Unfortunately, the hinge is the weak point in a folding process that also has to be a hollow enough to allow for wires to pass through and not krinkle them. They take all the stress created when opening the device, but it also has to be capable of moving to allow anyone (think children) to open it. I know we've continued to make improvements and modifications to the way hinges work, but if someone was to come up with a way to prevent hinges from failing the way they've done in the past, they would extremely wealthy.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• slowpo
    slowpo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am disagree with this suggestion completely.  I spend entire career around laptops, desktops and servers.  Brands are HP and Dell, this is the first time I saw laptop hinge broken so fast and often base on this group discussion and my own.

I have no doubt this is ACER craftsmanship or flaw design. 

I am using my Acer Aspire VX for daily work and it is very well protect, no scratch, no drop, no bump....etc and the hinge broken out of nowhere.   

Yet there are no mechanism or solution for customer to resolve their own issues.   I will not hesitate to point my finger right back at ACER for not taking care of loyal customers.

• Manny-Acer_Retired

Hello slowpo,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with hinges. Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Ken4444
    Ken4444 Member Posts: 3 New User
    The left hinge of my laptop has just encountered the same problem.  It is only 6 months old.  Never had a problem with any laptop like this before.   I am extremely disappointed.  Is it fixable.   
  • JackE
    Ken4444 Send Acer-Manny  a PM. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Umer1
    Umer1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My laptop had similar issues,(I purchased a about a year ago). I thought that just the plastic pops open a tiny bit whenever I flipped opened my laptop and I would just snap the plastic bezel in place, but a few days earlier the plastic bezel broke, then I saw that the hinge was broken. I did not know what to do, so just snapped the broken plastic bezel back into place. Today as I snapped the broken plastic bezel back into place a black line appear across the screen on the left side near the hinge. I don't know what to do now. I am in a urgent need of help.
  • JackE
    Umer1
    Arrange for a warranty or out-of-warranty repair here https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/content/support Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vipul87
    vipul87 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2019
    I have exactly the same issue with my ACER Aspire f15 f5-573g-57tq (Serial number  NXGDHSI011XXXXXXXXXXXXX). I purchased the laptop 1 and a half year back with an extended 2 years warranty. And since last 4-5 months, the metal piece broke (the one that holds the bezel with screws at the bottom) and hinges are becoming loose on left side. Obivously because of continuous usage the screw that gets tighten in the plastic part at the bottom is loosening. because the plastic piece is worn off. Now this laptop is just as good as a desktop. Cant shut it, cant move it, just lying at one place. This is sheer poor quality of the material used. I have used previously acer laptops but never faced any such problems. On contacting the acer support, they once came and investigated the problem. But it wasnt of any use, as they said its a physical damage and is not covered in extended warranty. I am just so sick of this issue and constantly reporting to customer care. This petty issue is just causing me a lot of stress.

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• JackE
    Sorry. You must re-submit your request for warranty repair. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jen1408
    Jen1408 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2019
    You Acer guys are impossible, I bought two nitro 5s and both of them faced the same issue with the hinge. Luckily one of them faced the issue when it was in one year warranty. But the second one is facing it after the warranty. And even after knowing that it's a so common issue here with your laptops. You have the odesity to tell me that it would have broken due to me. XXXXXXXXXXXX

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

This discussion has been closed.