Predator X27 Firmware Update

Jose-Acer
Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Acer has released a new firmware for the X27 that allows users to select sRGB gamma or the YUV gamma when using YUV color format. At this time, the firmware update is available by sending the monitor to a local service center for the update. If you want to update the firmware yourself, you can wait until later this year when a downloadable utility will be available. We have published a support article on this topic at: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56278.

Comments

• KjLAN
    KjLAN Member Posts: 1 New User
    When will the update tool be available?  Been waiting since June...
  • Zenairis
    Zenairis Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I talked with a rep about this about a month ago. Hoping it will be released within the coming weeks. It makes 144 Hz difficult to use without keeping windows in HDR mode all the time. Which adversely affects some programs and games that do not support it.
  • Zenairis

Tinkerer

Still waiting on a update on this nothing new as of yet.
  • PizzaSlize
    PizzaSlize Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer-Jose said:

Acer has released a new firmware for the X27 that allows users to select sRGB gamma or the YUV gamma when using YUV color format. At this time, the firmware update is available by sending the monitor to a local service center for the update. If you want to update the firmware yourself, you can wait until later this year when a downloadable utility will be available. We have published a support article on this topic at: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56278.

Oh Man! Thank you for realeasing this tool, made it so easy to update my  X27, you guys really care about your customers and for that i applaud you. <3

/S

Just kidding Acer being useless as always, should have went with the Asus.

No tool was ever seen.
  • zeny
    zeny Member Posts: 3 New User
    Is there any update for this firmware update?  Shipping monitor back will be a royal pain
  • KoopaKill
    KoopaKill Member Posts: 2 New User
    Also keen to apply this update, ideally not removing the monitor from the wall =)
  • Edirr
    Edirr Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

So, there is no tool unless you try to contact their support (good luck with that) using the convoluted options designed to make people give up. Why don't they just make it available from the XB271HU product page?

I need to power cord boot my computer to even make it POST unless I have one of my two XB271HUs connected via HDMI and I need firmware updates for them (already done for my motherboard and graphics card), but Acer's tech support pages and contact support information has so far been utterly useless. And this to someone who has 20 years experience digging up esoteric, hard to find stuff.
  • Edirr

Tinkerer

So, in order to apply firmware update, this is how it works:

Open service request for your monitor
    Uninstall and disassemble monitor
    Box monitor and ship it to Acer's support
    Technician unboxes and assembles monitor, performs upgrade
    Support disassembles and boxes monitor, ships it back
    Unbox, assemble and install monitor.

Takes as many days as it will, depending on the backlog of open service requests, unless you pay for premium expedited service.

The reason it works this way is that the interface for the firmware update is located beneath the rear panel of the monitor, inaccessible to the end customer. It's an utterly insane design decision that seems to be calculated to make things as hard as possible for both the end customer and Acer itself, but there you go. If the interface would be accessible or the update enabled through HDMI interface or even the external USB, they could just upload the firmware ROM and a software tool on their support site.

My issue was fortunately solved via motherboard CMOS reset and reconfiguring the BIOS and given that the wait time for Acer support to do the FW updates would have been somewhere around 16-20 days, I decided I won't bother. If they don't fix this insane design flaw in future products, my current monitors are the last Acer equipment I will ever buy.
  • Zenairis

Tinkerer

I'm hoping it will be supported via USB. I've been waiting a while for this tool as well.
  • Edirr

Tinkerer

Zenairis said:
    I'm hoping it will be supported via USB. I've been waiting a while for this tool as well.
    Based on what tech support told me, it requires specialized equipment to perform and the interface is physically behind the rear panel. So it is not and never will be accessible to the public via USB update and there is also some proprietary tech involved that for contractual reasons they cannot provide. So it's a vain hope.
  • Zenairis

Tinkerer

Edirr said:
    Zenairis said:
    Based on what tech support told me, it requires specialized equipment to perform and the interface is physically behind the rear panel. So it is not and never will be accessible to the public via USB update and there is also some proprietary tech involved that for contractual reasons they cannot provide. So it's a vain hope.
    They really should not have stated this would be available to the end user if this was the case. Especially not when paying a premium of this price. Sure they've offered to have it setup if its shipped to Texas. However, I do not feel comfortable shipping an item of this value that distance especially when it could be damaged in shipping. I don't trust replacements either seeing that I went through 6 different $800+ Asus gaming monitors in the past from defects before finally returning all of them and calling it quits.
  • MechDragon
    MechDragon Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Did they really say that they would release a tool for updating the firmware, and then they did not release anything and are silent?
  • zeny
    zeny Member Posts: 3 New User
    yeah.  Once they realized they cannot do the online firmware tool they shoudl have let people know asap, but instead looks like they stay quiet to try to run people out of warranty instead so they save money.   Very scumbag of them to do to people who buy their flagship monitor. 
  • Zenairis

Tinkerer

zeny said:
    yeah.  Once they realized they cannot do the online firmware tool they shoudl have let people know asap, but instead looks like they stay quiet to try to run people out of warranty instead so they save money.   Very scumbag of them to do to people who buy their flagship monitor. 
    I sent mine off for the update today was about $94 in shipping after insurance. We'll see how everything goes.
  • Zenairis

Tinkerer

Still waiting I'm assuming they must be updating a large number of them. They received mine on Feb 22 still in the repair process.
  • Zenairis

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    After waiting almost a month I finally got my monitor back. They replaced the panel on the monitor and while it looks like an upgraded more glossy finish it has a few clusters of red pixels which can be seen below the R in Predator. The decal came back without the R as well although I don't care about that just the screen itself.

Although its only visible in dark areas or when the screen is powering on. The last screenshot is from normal sitting distance it's as visible from there.

• JianS
    JianS Member Posts: 4 New User
    Waited forever for this Firmware Update that never happened. Tonight I've decided to never do business with Acer again. I paid too much for a broken monitor that they wanted me to pay to have it shipped to fix. Sending monitors back to repairs usually ends up in either shipping damaging the monitor, and or receiving a monitor with other issues just like what happened to Zenairis with the red dots in the middle of his screen. Not only was I not going to take the chance, but I also needed my monitor for work too. So Even if I wanted top pay for shipping and risk it, I would have had to also buy another monitor for work. Had the Vertical line issue appeared in the first 30 days I would have just got NewEgg top refund me, and got a ROG
  • JianS
    JianS Member Posts: 4 New User
    Waited forever for this Firmware Update that never happened. Tonight I've decided to never do business with Acer again. I paid too much for a broken monitor that they wanted me to pay to have it shipped to fix. Sending monitors back to repairs usually ends up in either shipping damaging the monitor, and or receiving a monitor with other issues just like what happened to Zenairis with the red dots in the middle of his screen. Not only was I not going to take the chance, but I also needed my monitor for work too. So Even if I wanted top pay for shipping and risk it, I would have had to also buy another monitor for work. Had the Vertical line issue appeared in the first 30 days I would have just got NewEgg top refund me, and got a ROG. 
  • fenice19
    fenice19 Member Posts: 2 New User
    any news about online firmware release ?
  • shane2801
    shane2801 Member Posts: 11 New User
    I live in Sydney Australia and I purchased the X27 as a christmas present for myself. I set it up on Boxing day and the screen was blinking at intermittent times. Tried all the trouble shooting then called Acer Support. I got an absolute ***** to deal with the first go but I then called again the following day and got to speak to a guy that spoke way better english. I asked him about the firmware update and he started that with this version of the X27 it already had the latest firmware??? 

Luckily for me he understood that I lived quite close to the Acer Repair Centre here in Sydney and organised for me to drop it off. He even stamped to service to be expedited free of charge. When I pick the monitor up I will definately be testing it before I take it away. It would want to work perfectly or I will not accept it.