Second hard drive for Acer Aspire TC-710 Intel Core i5 Desktop?

Options
Hi, I'm new. Be gentle, I only have these two questions. I have the Aspire TC-710 Quad Core i5 6400 CPU 2.70 GHz, at 12GB RAM. 
1. Am I able to upgrade the RAM to 16GB? Seen similar models boast it but from what little I do know about computer builds, I at least know each have their limitations.. So thought I'd ask.
2. This desktop has a 2TB hard drive, and that's still not enough. I'm pricing external drives already but is this computer capable of having a second hard drive installed internally? It would be the better option, I'm sure anyone would agree...

Thanks for helping this noob.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    1. Yes you can upgrade the memory to 16GB.
    2. This model has only one HDD bay, you can upgrade it up to 3TB recommended maximum and a M.2 SATA SSD up to 256GB.
    I would suggest you to install a M.2 SSD, transfer the contents of HDD to it and use it as a boot drive, use the HDD for storage.

• NintendoFanatics
    NintendoFanatics Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Bless you, brummyfan2. Thank you for the information! 
  • Jtmon3y
    Jtmon3y Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    1. Yes you can upgrade the memory to 16GB.
    2. This model has only one HDD bay, you can upgrade it up to 3TB recommended maximum and a M.2 SATA SSD up to 256GB.
    I would suggest you to install a M.2 SSD, transfer the contents of HDD to it and use it as a boot drive, use the HDD for storage.

Hi brummyfan. Do you know if any SATA M.2 SSDs are compatible? I bought the Crucial Mx500 and I can't seem to fit it in that slot even at an angle  Thx 
  • Jtmon3y
    Jtmon3y Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I figured out I was trying to install it upside down. *facepalm*
  • pzuckermanaz
    pzuckermanaz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi brummyfan2. I just replaced my 2TB HDD with a 2 TB SSD. I'd like to figure out if I can install the old HDD as a second drive. There are only 2 SATA ports on the motherboard. Do you know if I can I use the optical drive's SATA port to connect my old HDD (if I don't need the optical drive anymore)? I realize there's only one HDD bay, but perhaps I can find a secure way to house the new SSD and install the old HDD in the drive bay?
  • Blackfox214
    Blackfox214 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    How do you fix the M2 SSD ? There a Rivet instead if a screw !
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    There should be a threaded standoff on the motherboard where the M.2 card mounts. It may or may not already have a screw in it. If it doesn't have a screw the correct size is M2x3mm.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.