Second hard drive for Acer Aspire TC-710 Intel Core i5 Desktop?

Hi, I'm new. Be gentle, I only have these two questions. I have the Aspire TC-710 Quad Core i5 6400 CPU 2.70 GHz, at 12GB RAM. 
1. Am I able to upgrade the RAM to 16GB? Seen similar models boast it but from what little I do know about computer builds, I at least know each have their limitations.. So thought I'd ask.
2. This desktop has a 2TB hard drive, and that's still not enough. I'm pricing external drives already but is this computer capable of having a second hard drive installed internally? It would be the better option, I'm sure anyone would agree...

Thanks for helping this noob.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    1. Yes you can upgrade the memory to 16GB.
    2. This model has only one HDD bay, you can upgrade it up to 3TB recommended maximum and a M.2 SATA SSD up to 256GB.
    I would suggest you to install a M.2 SSD, transfer the contents of HDD to it and use it as a boot drive, use the HDD for storage.

• NintendoFanatics
    NintendoFanatics Member Posts: 2 New User
    Bless you, brummyfan2. Thank you for the information! 
  • Jtmon3y
    Jtmon3y Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,
    1. Yes you can upgrade the memory to 16GB.
    2. This model has only one HDD bay, you can upgrade it up to 3TB recommended maximum and a M.2 SATA SSD up to 256GB.
    I would suggest you to install a M.2 SSD, transfer the contents of HDD to it and use it as a boot drive, use the HDD for storage.

Hi brummyfan. Do you know if any SATA M.2 SSDs are compatible? I bought the Crucial Mx500 and I can't seem to fit it in that slot even at an angle  Thx 
  • Jtmon3y
    Jtmon3y Member Posts: 2 New User
    I figured out I was trying to install it upside down. *facepalm*
  • pzuckermanaz
    pzuckermanaz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi brummyfan2. I just replaced my 2TB HDD with a 2 TB SSD. I'd like to figure out if I can install the old HDD as a second drive. There are only 2 SATA ports on the motherboard. Do you know if I can I use the optical drive's SATA port to connect my old HDD (if I don't need the optical drive anymore)? I realize there's only one HDD bay, but perhaps I can find a secure way to house the new SSD and install the old HDD in the drive bay?
  • Blackfox214
    Blackfox214 Member Posts: 4 New User
    How do you fix the M2 SSD ? There a Rivet instead if a screw !
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    There should be a threaded standoff on the motherboard where the M.2 card mounts. It may or may not already have a screw in it. If it doesn't have a screw the correct size is M2x3mm.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.