Acer Predator Helios 300 - Battery drain while gaming - Charger is plugged in

solocapers
solocapers Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, 

Im having a problem and im not sure if its a defective power brick (unlikely) or its just simply underpowered and im looking for advice.

Ive recently bought the UK model I5-8300H with 1050ti gpu and when gaming for long periods the battery discharges even though its plugged in.

Today as an example I have been gaming (pubg) for about 4 hours and the battery is down to about 30% from a full charge. As soon as I stop gaming the battery starts charging again.

I think im already answering the question in that its an underpowered charger for gaming.. even though its a gaming laptop. But do Acer supply higher watted power bricks? This one is about 130 watts so its clearly not enough. I wish I checked/realised that before buying this laptop.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @solocapers
    The internal components pull in more power than what the charger can supply when under full load, like playing heavy games. At such times it could use power from battery along with the power from charger... combining both into a hybrid power source. This battery drain wouldn't be too much though, atleast from what I observed, about 5-6% per 30 mins or so of game play.
    But if you wish you can just try to uninstall the battery driver once from the device manage and restart the unit and check

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• solocapers

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Thanks for the reply but that doesnt really answer the question.

You are correct that the laptop goes in to a hybrid mode thus draining the battery whilst also using the power brick because the power brick cant feed the laptop when its running at full power draw alone.

The problem is that the power brick really isnt fit for purpose if it cant feed the laptop running at full power draw. This is sold as a gaming laptop and when gaming, the power supply simply isnt powerful enough for the processor and the graphics card.

The question I have then is: Does Acer supply a power brick greater than 130w as this isn't sufficient?
  • Jack22
    @solocapers
    could you please provide me the model number of your laptop
    for example: PH315-XX-XXX 

• solocapers

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Its the PH317-52
  • Jack22
    @solocapers
    Power Adapter • 135W AC adapter (for 1050 model) / 180W AC adapter (for 1060 model)

• solocapers

Tinkerer

Again, yep in my original post I state the current power supply.

My point is that its not enough for the laptop. The laptop draws more than 130w when in high usage thus draining the battery even when plugged in.

Will Acer RMA me the higher rated 180w power supply?
  • Jack22
    @solocapers
    sorry to inform you, Acer always recommend people to use the charger which came along with the unit.

• solocapers

Tinkerer

Fair enough, thanks for the advice.

I will be returning the laptop then because the charger just isnt fit for purpose. Shame because its a really nice specced laptop for the price.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    @solocapers 1050ti variants always come with the 135w 1060 variants come with 180w acer will not replace your adapter but if you require you can buy the 180w from acer i have a 135 and my battery never discharges and i play 10h+ non stop i suggest u optimize windows and undervolt and if needed also repaste with kryonaut and by the way u can look for another manufacturer but will not do you any good they all ship with the same built in batteries (to aid the adapter when this one needs it) and same wattage adapters its a universal rule for all manufacturers meaning no matter what brand you go expensive or not you will always get the same specs and this is the only purpose of the battery on gaming laptops it's not a defect its a feature because a gaming laptop it's nothing more than a high powered desktop cpu/gpu in a small chassis my advice to everyone who doesn't like this universal battey feature is better get a desktop instead because a gaming laptop might not be for them

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• solocapers

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    @xapim Without being rude, undervolting and re-applying thermal paste is the go to answer on here for everything. If the machines cooling is poorly optimised then the blame should be laying straight at Acer's door. Not on the user. Dropping off a fraction of a volt by undervolting isnt going to chip in to the discrepancy when the system is running at full power regardless. Yes if the temperatures are a little high but not in this case that simply the power draw is too much for the power brick to handle.

Simply put, Acer have supplied a 130w power supply for a laptop thats draining probably in the region of 150w when the system is running at full speed...Its not the battery's fault.

Optimise windows you say, how exactly? Its not going to make the laptop more power efficient in performance mode. Thats the whole point of performance mode. To run at full performance. And with that, its draining the battery due to the power brick not being able to keep up.

"no matter what brand you go expensive or not you will always get the same specs" I dont mean to be rude but thats complete and utter nonsense. Other OEM's provide different watted power supply's depending on how they've specced their machine. "it's not a defect its a feature" good grief. 

Yes, you may be correct in that a desktop is usually better prepared for this however a simple thing such as providing an adequate power supply should be the bread and butter. This wouldn't likely be a problem had they provided the same power brick as they do with the 1060 specced laptop.

This post may sound like a rant and I apologise if it comes over that way however your post isnt helpful in the slightest and is only sticking up for Acer for no real reason. 

Repasting, undervolting and tweaking windows isnt going to fix a 20w gap in power consumption when running at top clock speeds and usage.
  • xapim
    edited January 2019
    @xapim Without being rude, undervolting and re-applying thermal paste is the go to answer on here for everything. If the machines cooling is poorly optimised then the blame should be laying straight at Acer's door. Not on the user. Dropping off a fraction of a volt by undervolting isnt going to chip in to the discrepancy when the system is running at full power regardless. Yes if the temperatures are a little high but not in this case that simply the power draw is too much for the power brick to handle.

Simply put, Acer have supplied a 130w power supply for a laptop thats draining probably in the region of 150w when the system is running at full speed...Its not the battery's fault.

Optimise windows you say, how exactly? Its not going to make the laptop more power efficient in performance mode. Thats the whole point of performance mode. To run at full performance. And with that, its draining the battery due to the power brick not being able to keep up.

"no matter what brand you go expensive or not you will always get the same specs" I dont mean to be rude but thats complete and utter nonsense. Other OEM's provide different watted power supply's depending on how they've specced their machine. "it's not a defect its a feature" good grief. 

Yes, you may be correct in that a desktop is usually better prepared for this however a simple thing such as providing an adequate power supply should be the bread and butter. This wouldn't likely be a problem had they provided the same power brick as they do with the 1060 specced laptop.

This post may sound like a rant and I apologise if it comes over that way however your post isnt helpful in the slightest and is only sticking up for Acer for no real reason. 

Repasting, undervolting and tweaking windows isnt going to fix a 20w gap in power consumption when running at top clock speeds and usage.
    solocapers you can always pay the extra cash for the H500 which has the best cooling system available in the market but it was you choice to got for the budget option so either you stick with it or fix it as i said i never had any issues with mine and again you have 135w adapter not 130 that doesn't exists and i cant understand if you say other manufacturers are better and don't have the same wattage on the adapters why don't u get one of those instead and all your issues are solved (not being rude but i am tired of reading in general everyone moaning about this not happy with it it should be you problem because i am pretty happy best laptop i had ever had and i have been with acer for almost 10 years now wouldn't swap even it it was for free) i did my research pretty well before i bought it maybe it's time everyone to do the same to avoid keeping moaning (not being rude just stating true facts) and in my view a gaming laptop it's not for any average user requires a bit of expertise to tweak it properly to the best settings and requires a lot of TLC so not for the average user who can't solve any issues that might arise it requires average IT knowledge not beginners.

And the issue here is in order to be able to provide enough power for the high performance cpu/gpu without frying the mobo at the same time because the H300 mobos were not made to support much more than 180w either fry in time or brick but hey there's no point in spending any time here explaining or trying to explain how a motherboard and it's components (chips transistors etc...) work and what might happen to them if you provide more power than what they support (all mobos are capped though so even with a more powerful adapter than the recommended it will not work) anyway i'm just here to help in the best i can and your only solutions are either buy a 180w adapter and see if it works for you or just return it because there's no other solutions for this.

And regarding applying thermal paste yes its the solution (for most especially me even if i have no need to) as everyone knows that all manufacturers use the cheapest thermal paste there is (as its obvious and sometimes really bad repastes for what i had seen i wouldn't do that kind of job even to my worst enemy) it's just useless i repasted mine first day i got it brand new and the factory paste was rock solid so yeah spend some money on a good paste like kryonaut it changes everything and i do the same on all my machines doesn't matter new or old it's just common sense and seems to me you just complained about all the suggestions given above and u state that none of that should be done by the end user i'm sorry to inform you that if you don't optimize/undervolt and maybe repaste you will never have any kind of expected performance on a gaming laptop (except maybe on the H500 if well repasted from factory) you will always have constantly battery issues and bsods/crashes and the meaning of undervolting do you actually know what that means  in fact ? its lowering the voltage (less power consuming and less heat) with the same clocks and performance seems to me you still have a lot to learn i would start to research it properly before you state it's not solution for anything or even buying another gaming laptop as u stated you are returning it because it's doesn't perform the way you expected to, i understand it might be a bit complicated for you to deal with the right voltage values to apply to your cpu (and there is also the silicone lottery you might end up with a good cpu or a bad cpu which nothing you do to try to lower the temps will work not even repasting i had seen cases like that) but there are TS configs pre made for most of the H300/H500 cpus so the work is all done just copy/paste mostly thanks to @red-sand for all the time put into providing those confs and videos available to everyone :)

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• Richard1971
    Richard1971 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2020
    xapim said:

solocapers you can always pay the extra cash for the H500 which has the best cooling system available in the market but it was you choice to got for the budget option so either you stick with it or fix it as i said i never had any issues with mine and again you have 135w adapter not 130 that doesn't exists and i cant understand if you say other manufacturers are better and don't have the same wattage on the adapters why don't u get one of those instead and all your issues are solved (not being rude but i am tired of reading in general everyone moaning about this not happy with it it should be you problem because i am pretty happy best laptop i had ever had and i have been with acer for almost 10 years now wouldn't swap even it it was for free) i did my research pretty well before i bought it maybe it's time everyone to do the same to avoid keeping moaning (not being rude just stating true facts) and in my view a gaming laptop it's not for any average user requires a bit of expertise to tweak it properly to the best settings and requires a lot of TLC so not for the average user who can't solve any issues that might arise it requires average IT knowledge not beginners.

And the issue here is in order to be able to provide enough power for the high performance cpu/gpu without frying the mobo at the same time because the H300 mobos were not made to support much more than 180w either fry in time or brick but hey there's no point in spending any time here explaining or trying to explain how a motherboard and it's components (chips transistors etc...) work and what might happen to them if you provide more power than what they support (all mobos are capped though so even with a more powerful adapter than the recommended it will not work) anyway i'm just here to help in the best i can and your only solutions are either buy a 180w adapter and see if it works for you or just return it because there's no other solutions for this.

And regarding applying thermal paste yes its the solution (for most especially me even if i have no need to) as everyone knows that all manufacturers use the cheapest thermal paste there is (as its obvious and sometimes really bad repastes for what i had seen i wouldn't do that kind of job even to my worst enemy) it's just useless i repasted mine first day i got it brand new and the factory paste was rock solid so yeah spend some money on a good paste like kryonaut it changes everything and i do the same on all my machines doesn't matter new or old it's just common sense and seems to me you just complained about all the suggestions given above and u state that none of that should be done by the end user i'm sorry to inform you that if you don't optimize/undervolt and maybe repaste you will never have any kind of expected performance on a gaming laptop (except maybe on the H500 if well repasted from factory) you will always have constantly battery issues and bsods/crashes and the meaning of undervolting do you actually know what that means  in fact ? its lowering the voltage (less power consuming and less heat) with the same clocks and performance seems to me you still have a lot to learn i would start to research it properly before you state it's not solution for anything or even buying another gaming laptop as u stated you are returning it because it's doesn't perform the way you expected to, i understand it might be a bit complicated for you to deal with the right voltage values to apply to your cpu (and there is also the silicone lottery you might end up with a good cpu or a bad cpu which nothing you do to try to lower the temps will work not even repasting i had seen cases like that) but there are TS configs pre made for most of the H300/H500 cpus so the work is all done just copy/paste mostly thanks to @red-sand for all the time put into providing those confs and videos available to everyone :)

Sorry but I signed up just to tell you that you are talking utter nonsense. Other manufacturers do not do the same thing at all. I recently upgraded ( downgraded now it seems ) to the Helios 300 with the RTX 2070 in from an Asus ROG that had a GTX 1070 and had NO battery drain issues whatsoever. In fact this is the 1st gaming laptop that I have ever had this issue with and after seeing my battery lower than full after playing while connected to the charger I went straight to google to see if there was an issue and found this thread.

You saying that people need to do research and that gaming laptops are not for the average user is just laughable , the only research someone should have to do when buying a laptop is that it will be suitable for the use you intend to use it for. Where quite frankly this gaming laptop falls well short of being suitable for its use. I shouldnt be sitting here gaming wondering if im suddenly going to lose power or performance because my battery is busy draining. Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard ... and no , a gaming laptop should require less user knowledge that a full fledged PC .. a laptop should just work and do what you want it to do and not have an IT background to baby it.
    I sure as hell didnt spend almost £2000 on a laptop that I need to baby and provide TLC to make it work ffs , ridiculous.

As for the thermal paste , well again the laptop should just work and do what it was sold and advertised to do and not require anyone to take the bottom off it to re-paste it. The only thing that would do anyway is help the unit get rid of its heat a little better , causing it to run at full power for longer and draining the battery quicker. I get it laptops need better paste for better heat management but they thermal throttle if you didnt re-paste and in this case thermal throttling would scale power use back and not drain the freaking battery.
    This laptop is working and providing the speed I require and its heat management is aqueduct , I will get around to re-pasting if I keep it eventually but the performance is as expected now so I dont see the point of invalidating my warranty .. which yes , taking the bottom off will do. The only thing it doesnt do , is have a power supply and or a motherboard inside that is up for the job it was sold to do. End of story , no excuses .. it didnt have a sticker on it saying .. warning only IT qualified people and must have skill at re-pasting as requires babying and TLC to get around battery loss on it when I bought it.
    So maybe if you insist on telling everyone with issues to re-paste , maybe in future make sure you let them know that the warranty is void if they do.

Overall your just talking nonsense and just praising a company for producing a laptop that cannot do the job it was sold to do. Your responses here are so defensive its almost as though you are embarrassed with the purchase you made and feel the need to defend that bad purchase by defending Acer for selling a gaming laptop that is not up to the job it was sold for.

I sure as hell will never be buying this brand again and wish I had kept my Asus RoG or at least bought a newer model ... at least my battery would never drain while being plugged in. I sure as heck am embarrassed that I spent all this money on a gaming laptop that doesnt have the components to support its use.
    and just for the record mine came with the 180w power pack and that still doesnt cut it
  • solocapers

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    @Richard1971 I do love how he says this isn't for an average user when my day job is working for a large British ISP maintaining IT networks, I'm glad you reminded me of this thread for that chuckle. =)

The fanboyism in the post was a delight. 

Anyway, the fact remains that the laptop still discharges by default. Its simply the power brick being under powered for continued heavy use and a wrong assumption was made by me it would be designed to cope. Interesting to note reviews didn't pick up on it.

A similar model non UK comes with a larger rated power brick. So it's unnecessary cost shaving. 

I will say, if its any help that undervolting the cpu has largely resolved the issue to the point that it doesn't cause too many problems now at all and I can game for hours with a fraction of the battery drain. You should give it a try and see if it works for you.

As you not thermal paste solution shows the fella up for not really having a clue after having a pop at me. Wouldn't dream of changing the thermal paste unless it's badly overheating/throttling. 
  • xapim
    edited February 2020
    xapim said:

Sorry but I signed up just to tell you that you are talking utter nonsense. Other manufacturers do not do the same thing at all. I recently upgraded ( downgraded now it seems ) to the Helios 300 with the RTX 2070 in from an Asus ROG that had a GTX 1070 and had NO battery drain issues whatsoever. In fact this is the 1st gaming laptop that I have ever had this issue with and after seeing my battery lower than full after playing while connected to the charger I went straight to google to see if there was an issue and found this thread.

You saying that people need to do research and that gaming laptops are not for the average user is just laughable , the only research someone should have to do when buying a laptop is that it will be suitable for the use you intend to use it for. Where quite frankly this gaming laptop falls well short of being suitable for its use. I shouldnt be sitting here gaming wondering if im suddenly going to lose power or performance because my battery is busy draining. Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard ... and no , a gaming laptop should require less user knowledge that a full fledged PC .. a laptop should just work and do what you want it to do and not have an IT background to baby it.
    I sure as hell didnt spend almost £2000 on a laptop that I need to baby and provide TLC to make it work ffs , ridiculous.

As for the thermal paste , well again the laptop should just work and do what it was sold and advertised to do and not require anyone to take the bottom off it to re-paste it. The only thing that would do anyway is help the unit get rid of its heat a little better , causing it to run at full power for longer and draining the battery quicker. I get it laptops need better paste for better heat management but they thermal throttle if you didnt re-paste and in this case thermal throttling would scale power use back and not drain the freaking battery.
    This laptop is working and providing the speed I require and its heat management is aqueduct , I will get around to re-pasting if I keep it eventually but the performance is as expected now so I dont see the point of invalidating my warranty .. which yes , taking the bottom off will do. The only thing it doesnt do , is have a power supply and or a motherboard inside that is up for the job it was sold to do. End of story , no excuses .. it didnt have a sticker on it saying .. warning only IT qualified people and must have skill at re-pasting as requires babying and TLC to get around battery loss on it when I bought it.
    So maybe if you insist on telling everyone with issues to re-paste , maybe in future make sure you let them know that the warranty is void if they do.

Overall your just talking nonsense and just praising a company for producing a laptop that cannot do the job it was sold to do. Your responses here are so defensive its almost as though you are embarrassed with the purchase you made and feel the need to defend that bad purchase by defending Acer for selling a gaming laptop that is not up to the job it was sold for.

I sure as hell will never be buying this brand again and wish I had kept my Asus RoG or at least bought a newer model ... at least my battery would never drain while being plugged in. I sure as heck am embarrassed that I spent all this money on a gaming laptop that doesnt have the components to support its use.
    and just for the record mine came with the 180w power pack and that still doesnt cut it
    Richard1971 sorry to disagree with you but youre the one that do not make sense and say nonsense its the same on all gaming laptops from all manufacturers they all behave the same so good luck changing brand's youll get the same if you dont like what i said its one thing youre on your own right to but its the reality and thats how it works so its not nonsense at all also you need to tweak everything yourself to get the best performance of any machine if you dunno how to do so please learn it and my discussion on this ends here i have nothing else to say about it period

PS: Also im not defending anyone i have been working with acer laptops since 2008 never had a single issue i cant say the same about asus/hp/compaq exc... and i dont fix laptops/desktops for a living because i dont make a living out of it but already have my share for years fixing/cleaning them for friends etc and i do tell everyone that they can only repaste themselves if they dont have any stickers/seals neither damage anything by doing it i never advised anyone to repaste it to void the warranty plus in the US/CA you are free to open any device you will not loose the warranty also in UK i repasted mine the first week i got it and my warranty its intact in fact i extended for 3 years still valid till 2021 and no im not embarrassed of any of the acer devices i have all still alive and working cant say the same about other brands in fact im very proud of being an acer owner for more than 10 years if it wasnt good i wouldnt keep buying it

<<<I sure as hell will never be buying this brand again and wish I had kept my Asus RoG or at least bought a newer model ... >>>>
    Well dunno about the ROG but TUF its a complete waste of money just rubbish and too expensive for the rubbish specs had a co worker here that bought one returned it after 1 month and went to the shop every week with a new issue that they didnt solved i told him to get a nitro 5 instead less expensive and much better and thats what he did and i also repasted and upgraded his nitro 5 to the 32gb 2666 hyperx i used to have (have vengeance now) m.2 ssd etc and its working perfectly since no issues also optimized and undervolted and its the exacty same specs as the OP above

solocapers and yes in my personal opinion thermal paste should be changed for a better one if you can (without voiding the warranty) even if you dont have thermal issues as the stock tends to be bad cpu shouldnt go over 85'ish and gpu 70/75 max you shoul know that as you say youre an (IT) expert hey i dont have any fancy paper saying that im qualified to do anything i didnt studied for it that doesnt mean i cant do it neither i dont know what im doing or does it ?????

That doesnt give anyone the right to say someone doesnt know nothing about what hes doing/talking about and ex i have seen/meet/dealt with many supposed IT experts that they are utterly useless they didnt really know what they are doing i suppose they probably got their fancy certification papers in the cereals package as its the only explanation for such and i wouldnt trust to give them any of my devices for them to fix even if it was for free fortunately i can do it myself.

And anyone of you can try and get a more powerful adapter but i doubt it would work if the mobo has limits in the input also undervolting its the sonly solution without repasting in fact Acer was the first manufacturer to implement undervolting on stock units in all H300 2019 thankfully they accepted the recommendations of many users here and followed thru with it not all manufacturers listen to any customers recommendations and im still to see any other manufacturer to follow these steps

Acer support:

• xapim
    edited February 2020
    xapim said:
    xapim said:

Richard1971 sorry to disagree with you but youre the one that do not make sense and say nonsense its the same on all gaming laptops from all manufacturers they all behave the same so good luck changing brand's youll get the same if you dont like what i said its one thing youre on your own right to but its the reality and thats how it works so its not nonsense at all also you need to tweak everything yourself to get the best performance of any machine if you dunno how to do so please learn it and my discussion on this ends here i have nothing else to say about it period

PS: Also im not defending anyone i have been working with acer laptops since 2008 never had a single issue i cant say the same about asus/hp/compaq exc... and i dont fix laptops/desktops for a living because i dont make a living out of it but already have my share for years fixing/cleaning them for friends etc and i do tell everyone that they can only repaste themselves if they dont have any stickers/seals neither damage anything by doing it i never advised anyone to repaste it to void the warranty plus in the US/CA you are free to open any device you will not loose the warranty also in UK i repasted mine the first week i got it and my warranty its intact in fact i extended for 3 years still valid till 2021 and no im not embarrassed of any of the acer devices i have all still alive and working cant say the same about other brands in fact im very proud of being an acer owner for more than 10 years if it wasnt good i wouldnt keep buying it

<<<I sure as hell will never be buying this brand again and wish I had kept my Asus RoG or at least bought a newer model ... >>>>
    Well dunno about the ROG but TUF its a complete waste of money just rubbish and too expensive for the rubbish specs had a co worker here that bought one returned it after 1 month and went to the shop every week with a new issue that they didnt solved i told him to get a nitro 5 instead less expensive and much better and thats what he did and i also repasted and upgraded his nitro 5 to the 32gb 2666 hyperx i used to have (have vengeance now) m.2 ssd etc and its working perfectly since no issues also optimized and undervolted and its the exacty same specs as the OP above

solocapers and yes in my personal opinion thermal paste should be changed for a better one if you can (without voiding the warranty) even if you dont have thermal issues as the stock tends to be bad cpu shouldnt go over 85'ish and gpu 70/75 max you shoul know that as you say youre an (IT) expert hey i dont have any fancy paper saying that im qualified to do anything i didnt studied for it that doesnt mean i cant do it neither i dont know what im doing or does it ?????

That doesnt give anyone the right to say someone doesnt know nothing about what hes doing/talking about and ex i have seen/meet/dealt with many supposed IT experts that they are utterly useless they didnt really know what they are doing i suppose they probably got their fancy certification papers in the cereals package as its the only explanation for such and i wouldnt trust to give them any of my devices for them to fix even if it was for free fortunately i can do it myself.

And anyone of you can try and get a more powerful adapter but i doubt it would work if the mobo has limits in the input also undervolting its the sonly solution without repasting in fact Acer was the first manufacturer to implement undervolting on stock units in all H300 2019 thankfully they accepted the recommendations of many users here and followed thru with it not all manufacturers listen to any customers recommendations and im still to see any other manufacturer to follow these steps
    No im not special I'm just normal like everyone else and I wasn't talking about you at all I just gave an example of some cases that I have seen myself with my own eyes (if you got offended by it again it wasn't about you unless you feel the hat fits in that case not my fault) and no I didn't learned everything I know from any videos it did it myself with many trial and errors (since 95 when I started to get interested in it computers/hardware /networks) in the beginning as its supposed to again sorry if u got offense by my example and no I didn't make neither tried to make anyone look as a noob I just stated the obvious and why the battery in some cases drains also I have nothing else to discuss here because there is no point at all in doing it it won't fix the issues neither help anyone

Sorry if anyone got offended in any way that wasn't the intention I'm just here voluntarily to try to help the best way I can accordingly to what I know

Acer support:

• Richard1971
    Richard1971 Member Posts: 2 New User
    xapim said:
    xapim said:

You say good luck changing brands as they all do behave the same ....Did you literally miss the part I said I had just upgraded ( which was a baaaaad move ) from an Asus RoG laptop with a GTX 1070 in it that does not behave the same way this Acer does with regards to battery drain while plugged in ?? So I stand by what I said and tell you its nonsense , it might happen with some brands but it doesnt happen with all. Mainly it comes from manufacturers that still use an older base platform and integrate newer hardware into it causing the issue rather than redesigning. Im sure the early model H300 with lower end CPU and GPU in it didnt have this issue. 

Oh I agree with you , if you want the best performance you should tweak and repaste , dont get me wrong ... but the laptop out of the box should work as expected and not need babying or tweaking just to do something it was sold to do. You should only have to tweak if you want more performance than what you had when you opened it.
    I know what I am doing thanks and have no issues doing any of these things .. the point is on a 2 grand laptop I SHOULDNT HAVE TOO

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi All,

Please read the following article: Gaming notebook may use battery and AC power when the system requires additional power if you still have any question and need further assistance, please contact your local Acer technical support:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact

Note: This thread will be closed.

Sorry for any inconveniences,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.