How to upgrade the RAM on a ES1-512 Laptop

dsmail
dsmail Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives

I read RAM upgrade is available for this laptop although it has no rear access plate common to may other laptops.

I assume the whole back has to be removed. Anyone else done this and ableto  point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

Dave

Best Answer

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Hello dsmail,

There are many online videos, photos and instructionals for the DIYers.

Look for hidden screws between the keys or top plate covers that will allow

the bottom to come loose from the top. I only have this data for you on this Model

(note that it only has one memory socket, limiting it's upgrade capabilities. Hope this helps):

Manufacturer:Acer
    Model Name:Aspire ES1-512-C9EC
    HD Bus Type: 
    Standard Memory:4096 MB (1 x 4 GB)
    Max Memory:8192 MB
    Number of Sockets:1
    Memory Comments:PC3-12800 1600Mhz DDR3L SDRAM SO DIMM 204-pin

Answers

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Hello dsmail,

There are many online videos, photos and instructionals for the DIYers.

Look for hidden screws between the keys or top plate covers that will allow

the bottom to come loose from the top. I only have this data for you on this Model

(note that it only has one memory socket, limiting it's upgrade capabilities. Hope this helps):

Manufacturer:Acer
    Model Name:Aspire ES1-512-C9EC
    HD Bus Type: 
    Standard Memory:4096 MB (1 x 4 GB)
    Max Memory:8192 MB
    Number of Sockets:1
    Memory Comments:PC3-12800 1600Mhz DDR3L SDRAM SO DIMM 204-pin
  • dsmail
    dsmail Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for this info. There must be a way in!

Dave

• aukumar
    aukumar Member Posts: 2 New User

Dave,

Did you get to upgrade the RAM on your ACER ES1-512? I am having difficulty with replacing the stock RAM (2GB)  with a 4GB DDR3? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

• howellroy
    howellroy Member Posts: 1 New User

There is, remove all the screws from the bottom and gently pull the case apart. Be careful as the keyboard and touch pad are attached. Lift the keyboard there are two ribbon cables the narrow one connector is a lift and the wide one is a slide connector. With the keyboard\touchpad free set it aside.

There are 4 more screws to remove. First there is a screw on the cooling fan remove it and one on the mother board to the right next to the hook for the optical drive, remove it. Slide the optical disk drive out (there is no screw holding in in place now with the keyboard off. There is screw holding the HDD in place, remove it and slide the HDD out and set it aside. That is 3 screws, there is one more holding the wireless card in place near the back, it must be removed before the wireless card will come out.

There are two wires toward the front of the MB one is the battery connect, not sure what the other is for, the both need to be unplugged. Now gently lifit and roll over the MB and there is the memory module.

I know all of the because I tried to upgrade my 4 gigs to 8, but I couldn't get it to work and I am not sure why.

Oh, one last thing, the on\off switch is a micro switch on the left hand side of the computer just below the left hing on the SD card reader. It is a strange place but it does work. BEFORE you button it all Check to make sure it recognizes the new memory. Flip the MB back into place and attach the two cables at the front and click the microswitch. If the monitor comes on and gives you a HDD error then you are good to go, just hold the microswitch down for 5 seconds to turn off the computer and finish installing everything else.

if the screens doesn't come on then you have the same issue I have and the memory isn't compatible with the computer.

• Member Posts: 6 New User

Thanks for all the detailed info.

Did you ever figuire out why the memory you were replacing didn't work?

Was it because it wasn't DDR3 or perhaps it needs to be Proprietary ACER Memory Module?

http://tinyurl.com/glye9e2 8GB RAM Memory for Acer Aspire ES1-512 (DDR3-12800) - Laptop Memory Upgrade from OFFTEK

• Member Posts: 6 New User

Thanks for all the detailed info.

Did you ever figuire out why the memory you were replacing didn't work?

Was it because it wasn't DDR3 or perhaps it needs to be Proprietary ACER Memory Module?

http://tinyurl.com/glye9e2 8GB RAM Memory for Acer Aspire ES1-512 (DDR3-12800) - Laptop Memory Upgrade from OFFTEK

• guypredd
    guypredd Member Posts: 12 New User

im joining to the discussion. i got an acer aspire es1-512 too, which i already upgraded his hdd to ssd. now i want to upgrade the ram too. kingston 1.35v 1600mhz ddr3l wont work? 

the link

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

• Conwyn
    Conwyn Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a ES1-521-88R9. It has two memory slots one was populated with a 8GB Samsung. I bought 8GB Skhynix from e-bay and installed it and it works perfectly. The hardest part is re-attaching the mouse pad cable.

9397 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2018
    I recently upgraded RAM of an ACER ES1-512 from 4GB to 8GB (only one RAM slot). The disassembly is surprising easy after you watch the video in youtube (you find even two separate good videos on that). Its just 10 min and you are there. More problematic is, that the motherboard doesn't digest any memory module. I frist tried with an Elpida PC3L module, didnt boot. Second try with Samsung PC3L module, works. 
  • zoka40
    zoka40 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2019
    Acer Aspire ES1-512 laptop gyári 2Gb ramot (ACR16D3LFS1KBG / 2GB) szeretnék frissíteni 4GB-ra.Mily Sorozat számú samsung memóriaát vegyi, amelyhez komplikált gépjármű? Pl: (M471B5273CHO-YKO) ez Jó?

Acer Aspire ES1-512 Laptop Factory 2Gb Ram (ACR16D3LFS1KBG / 2GB) I would like to upgrade to 4GB. Ex: (M471B5273CHO-YKO) is this Good? 

[Edited the post using Google Translator as it was posted in Hungarian Language. Acer-Harvey]
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, your ES1-512 supports a maximum of 8GB in the one memory slot. It should be a DDR3L-1333 SO-DIMM memory stick and you can replace your existing 2GB with either a 4GB or 8GB.

Igen, az ES1-512 maximálisan 8 GB-ot támogat az egyetlen memóriahelyen. DDR3L-1333 SO-DIMM memóriakártyának kell lennie, és a meglévő 2 GB-ot kicserélheti 4 GB-ra vagy 8 GB-ra.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.