Dave2D Reviews the Predator Helios 500: 8-Core Ryzen Laptop – IT’S A BEAST!!!

Jose-Acer
Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Dave2D posted his review of the Predator Helios 500 - (PH517-61-R0GX), calling it an absolute beast.  He notes he’s tested out the AMD Ryzen 7 processor in desktops, but never before in a laptop.

Watch his full review:

Comments

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Yeah the AMD H500 is a monster.

+1 Cause Dave2D approves 👍
    - Hotel Hero
  • ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    I passed up on the Ryzen version of the H500 because the GPU portion of it's APU just wasn't powerful enough to take over the GTX 1070.
  • Red-Sand
    I passed up on the Ryzen version of the H500 because the GPU portion of it's APU just wasn't powerful enough to take over the GTX 1070.
    Yeah for gaming the Intel is the way to go (because of the 1070).

A full desktop Ryzen 7 in a laptop just sounds boss though.
    - Hotel Hero
  • ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:
    Yeah for gaming the Intel is the way to go (because of the 1070).

A full desktop Ryzen 7 in a laptop just sounds boss though.
    Would be perfect for video editing (CPU intensive).  But other than that, not much.
  • Red-Sand
    Does the Ryzen model have Thunderbolt?
    I was just speaking to a colleague at Intel and hes saying its Intel mobo supported only.. ?
    - Hotel Hero
  • evolucion8
    evolucion8 Member Posts: 1 New User
    These Helios laptops have no integrated GPU and aren't APUs either, they are using full desktop Ryzen CPUs which lacks of any integrated GPUs. It has an RX Vega 56 which is a dedicated GPU that can match and outperform the GTX 1070 depending on the type of game and API.
  • Red-Sand
    These Helios laptops have no integrated GPU and aren't APUs either, they are using full desktop Ryzen CPUs which lacks of any integrated GPUs. It has an RX Vega 56 which is a dedicated GPU that can match and outperform the GTX 1070 depending on the type of game and API.

The Vega 56 is close but definately doesn't stack up to a 1070 in games.
    Evem my 1070 + i7-8750H outperforms the Ryzen model on benchmarks (except CPU of course lol)
    - Hotel Hero
  • jahramika
    jahramika Member Posts: 1 New User
    LOL okay
  • Bergman
    Bergman Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey Guys, does anyone know where I can order the Helios 500 i7 ? Everywhere I look they seem to be out of stock? I am not in the US. Any help would be grate!