WiFi Connectivity Issues upon Awakening from Sleep Mode

Options
Please_Help_My_WIFI
Please_Help_My_WIFI Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Computer Model: Aspire R5-471T, x64, i5-6200U CPU

Once my computer is closed for more than about 5 minutes, or if it is powered ON after being shut down, my WiFi will connect securely, but I will not be able to access the internet, i.e. my WiFi icon is lit up with a yellow exclamation point.

Once I run the troubleshooter, it fixes my WiFi connectivity and allows me to use WiFi as normal. I would love for this to be automatic.

I have attached screenshots of all of this, including Troubleshooter output below:

NOTE: I posted a previous question a while ago, so I have tried this and none of it worked: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/542639/acer-aspire-r-14-wifi-connectivity-issues

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,540 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Occasionally a router will drop the local address connection to the internet if it doesn't see the sleeping computer. You can usually solve this issue at the computer end more quickly by left clicking on the tray wifi icon, right clicking on your connection, then disconnect. Then re-connect. You may want to check if your router or modem settings are causing this behavior. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    Hey @JackE, appreciate the advice. Unfortunately disconnecting and reconnecting does not work. Moreover, this happens every single time my computer goes to sleep, not just occasionally.

Hopefully that clarification helps a little.
  • JackE
    Options
    I assume that the computer reconnects with the router but the gateway from the router to the internet is lost. Since this wasn't resolved in that earlier thread, I'm now even more inclined to take a look at the router and/or gateway settings. What's your router model and number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    JackE said:
    I assume that the computer reconnects with the router but the gateway from the router to the internet is lost. Since this wasn't resolved in that earlier thread, I'm now even more inclined to take a look at the router and/or gateway settings. What's your router model and number? Jack E/NJ
    Unfortunately, I am on my Universities WiFi, therefore I am unsure of the router model and number (unless there is a way to determine that). That being said, it also occurs on my home AT&T router.
  • JackE
    Options
    Have you tried to uninstall the wifi driver from Device Manager? Exit. Then reboot and let Windows re-detect and auto-reinstall the driver? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    @JackE yup I have done this before. My personal thought behind what may be happening has to do with maybe some faulty power saving settings on my computer. So that when I close my computer, the power management properties of some of my network devices are acting up. That being said, I have no idea how to check that.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> power management properties of some of my network devices are acting up. That being said, I have no idea how to check that.>>>

Sounds like a good idea to me. So open Control Panel. Search power. Edit power plan. Set it to balanced mode. Then click advanced. Click on the wifi and try max performance on both bat and plugged in. Look at sleep mode too to see what looks good to you and try it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    @JackE awesome I will try that. It takes a while to replicate the issue as the computer needs to be asleep for about 15 minutes and I need to work, so can't close it just now.

I will update you tomorrow when I return to work to see if that fixed it. Thank you!
  • JackE
    Options
    Also check what closing the lid does in Control Panel. Make sure it's not hibernate. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    @JackE sorry for the late update, but just wanted to try it two days in a row before confirming or denying if it works.

Unfortunately I ran into the same issue today after leaving my laptop shut overnight. I opened it up, and connected to WiFi, but had the yellow caution symbol telling me I was connected but without internet.

After troubleshooting, I was told that the issue was the my WiFi did not have a valid IP config.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. When you're internet connected again, go to the command prompt and enter "ipconfig" without the quotes. Take a screenshot of the result for the wifi adapter as shown below. Then when you lose the internet connection, run "ipconfig" and take another screenshot so we can compare the results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    Just checked and they are exactly the same. Double checked twice and all. Ipv6, IPv4, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway are identical.

However, now when running the troubleshoot to connect back to WiFi the resolution was not due to an invalid IP, it was back to the original "default gateway is not available".
  • sajancr1986
    sajancr1986 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Just checked and they are exactly the same. Double checked twice and all. Ipv6, IPv4, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway are identical.

However, now when running the troubleshoot to connect back to WiFi the resolution was not due to an invalid IP, it was back to the original "default gateway is not available".

hi,
     did you solve this issue?

br,
    Sajan

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Options
    @sajancr1986 I did not solve the issue. It still remains a problem. I simply right click on the WiFi symbol and run the troubleshooter to fix it every morning.
  • JackE
    Options
    Please_Help_My_WIFI >>>I simply right click on the WiFi symbol and run the troubleshooter to fix it every morning>>>

I wish you had mentioned this work-around earlier. Sounds like you have to change the current fastboot option in Control Panel's Power Button application. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ