How can I reset my administrator password?

Options
2»

Answers

• Sarah432
    Sarah432 Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I only had to change the password because a younger sister had guessed it on the car drive and I couldn't write it down without her seeing. I do have a general idea of the password but forgot the exact numbers, capitalization etc. I have tried a lot of different combinations but none have worked.
  • Sarah432
    Options
    I know the password has something to do with wizard Jedi but forgot capitalization numbers etc and have tried manually making a combo list including with/without caps lock.
  • Sarah432
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If i cannot guess or bypass the password are there any affordable places you would recommend taking it?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options
    Have you tried the old password again? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    Options
    Yes but no luck
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You have 4 choices. [1] You can try to install the generic Win10 from Microsoft from a USB thumbdrive made on another computer by following this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  You would have to disable secure boot in the BIOS menu and make the USB drive first in the boot order. [2] You can order the ACER-specific Win10 USB thumbdrive from this link https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ with your machine's serial number id (SNID). Price about $45. [3] Take it to a local computer repair shop to see if they can successfully re-install Win10 from the hidden partition using the ALT+F10 recovery method or somehow bypass the password. [4] ACER service could definitely re-set the machine but out-of-warranty price would likely significantly exceed $100. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I only had to change the password because a younger sister had guessed it>>> password has something to do with wizard Jedi but forgot capitalization numbers etc >>>

One more choice [5] Tell your younger sister the "password has something to do with wizard Jedi but forgot capitalization numbers etc" Then let her have a go at it. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    Options
    Asking my sister to guess it was the first thing I did (other than trying to guess it myself :) ) I'll try generic windows 10. I bought the laptop from Target about 4 months ago so would a full system reset be included in the warranty?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, definitely arrange for a warranty repair. Just say your password won't work anymore.  Nothing more. Have your serial number id ready and go to this link to arrange the repair, pronto! Jack E/NJ

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    Options
    I ordered the disk (which came yesterday) and it automatically started a system restore. Thank you so muck for your help!
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats Sarah! Keep that disk in a safe place! :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hunilydeny
    hunilydeny Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, it is easy now to reset administrator password in Windows 10 computer. If you have a Windows 10 install disk, you can use it to reset your Windows 10 password with Command Prompt even the administrator was disabled. And the account will be enabled after you reset its password.

1. Insert your Windows 10 installation disk to your lenovo laptop, start it and press Fn+F12 to open boot menu options, select CD/DVD/USB HDD to boot from.

2. When the install screen appears, click Next to select Command Prompt. Use it to copy the cmd.exe and then restart.

3. CLick "Ease of Access" to open cmd.exe. Type "net user username newpassword" to reset your user account password.

If you don't have a Windows 10 install disk, you can easily create one with USB. Read more about how to create a Windows 10 installation disk with Windows Media Creation Tool and use it to reset Windows 10 password. The steps is in Part 3 of the page.

Free download Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool  if you need.