How can I reset my administrator password?

Sarah432
Sarah432 Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I have an Acer Spin 1 with Windows 10 and recently forgot my password. I have tried doing a full system reset and just remove my files but the system doesn't have enough space for the reset. I do not have a reset disk, and my system does not have a boot from removable drive or network option. This is an administrator account not a Microsoft account and sign in options has been disabled. Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You have 4 choices. [1] You can try to install the generic Win10 from Microsoft from a USB thumbdrive made on another computer by following this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  You would have to disable secure boot in the BIOS menu and make the USB drive first in the boot order. [2] You can order the ACER-specific Win10 USB thumbdrive from this link https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ with your machine's serial number id (SNID). Price about $45. [3] Take it to a local computer repair shop to see if they can successfully re-install Win10 from the hidden partition using the ALT+F10 recovery method or somehow bypass the password. [4] ACER service could definitely re-set the machine but out-of-warranty price would likely significantly exceed $100. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    How did you try to do a full system reset? When was the last time you were able to log in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    The last time I was able to log in was mid-July. I tried to do a full system reset with alt f10 and through the menu accessible through shift+restart.
  • JackE
    If the ALT+F10 procedure successfully yielded a recovery screen, you should be able to get the extra temporary space it needs for a clean factory-fresh Win10 re-set by inserting an empty NTFS-formatted USB stick or SD card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    How much space would I need for a system reset
  • JackE
    16GB should be fine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    I NFTS formatted 2 16GB flash drives with 14.4GB available, restart/powered on th e laptop and then accessed the reset menu from alt f10 but still got an "additional space is required in the drive where Windows is installed. Free up some space and try again" error message.
  • JackE
    Try an SD card instead. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    SD card didn't work either
  • JackE
    Can you access the BIOS menu by tapping the F2 key immediately after turning the machine on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    Yes I am able to access the BIOS menu.
  • JackE
    OK. In the Main tab enable both the F12 and D2D recovery options if they aren't already. In the Security tab, make sure all password options are cleared or disabled. Then press F10 to save settings and exit. Try it again. And please note ***exact ***wording of any other error messages if it fails again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    I enabled f12 and D2D recovery options disabled all passwords for BIOS (supervisor and user), turned off secure boot and had the drives plugged in and the device charging selected fully clean the drive from the alt f10 drive but still got the error message "additional free space is needed in the drive where Windows is installed. Free up some space and try again"
  • JackE
    Do the ALT+F10 thing again. This time choose advanced options. In a submenu there should be a boot to the command prompt option. If it still asks for a password, just press the ENTER key. Can you access the command prompt without a password?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    I cannot access command prompt without a password
  • Sarah432
    No I cannot enter command without a password. 
  • JackE
    F2 again into the BIOS menu. Set a supervisor password in the Main tab. Don't forget it. Then make sure secure boot is still disabled in the Boot tab. The F10 to save settings and exit. Shut the machine completely off by pressing and holding the power button for 5-10 seconds. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping F2 again to enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password. Go back to the Boot tab and make sure secure boot is still disabled. Then F10 to save settings and exit again. Shut the machine completely off again. Then turn it back on and immediately do the ALT+F10 routine again. See if it's reset now. If still no joy, do the ALT+F10 once again to see if you can get into the command prompt this time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sarah432
    Can't reset or enter command prompt
  • Sarah432
    edited July 2018
    I have a picture password but that was disabled because my sister was trying to guess it
  • Sarah432
    edited July 2018

• JackE
    >>>The last time I was able to log in was mid-July>>>

Anything else we try now poses a risk of bricking or disabling the machine. So I gotta ask. How could you forget the password if the last time you logged in was only about 2 weeks ago? Do you have any clues whatsoever as to what it could've been such a short time ago? Like the names of the folks or things in your picture password. Anything at all? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ