Windows 10 boot error after 1.13 update on R5-471T aspire

Options
Globulvert
Globulvert Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

I have updated my Aspire R5-471T laptop with bios 1.13 proposed release (previous release 1.12).
Since, I can't boot anymore on my Windows 10 (last release 1803)
I have a BSOD: System Service exception error ndis.sys
Who to resolve while I can't access windows 10 (no options works).
I accessed only once and I tried to downgrade to 1.12 but there is a protection to block this operation.
Is it possible to create an bootable USB stick and downgrade ?
Please help me

Thank you

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Congrats on you success! Check Device Manager for any red or yellow device driver warning after re-doing all the Win10 updates. And make sure system protection is still enabled just in case. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    What problem were you having with v1.12 that you thought the BIOS v1.13 would fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    I did not have any problem with the 1.12 release but the Bios 1.13 update mentionned "Intel microcode revision to fix the Spectre security vulnerabilities"
    So I downloaded this security bios update.

• JackE
    Options
    Can you still get into Windows safe mode or command prompt by immediately tapping the F8 key after turning the machine on?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    No, I can't. the F8 key has no effect.
    The boot always displays now either Automatic Repair Preparation or Diagnotic or Attempting repair
    Without result
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I accessed only once and I tried to downgrade to 1.12 but there is a protection to block this operation.>>>

Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shuts off. Remove the charger. On the bottom of the laptop, there should be a battery disconnect pinhole. Push and hold a paper clip into the pinhole for about a minute. Let the machine stabilize for about 15 minutes. Plug the charger back in. Turn the machine back on and ***immediately*** start tapping the F2 key to try to access the BIOS menu. Report back if you can access the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You can try to do a restore by activating the d2drecovery function and after saving on exit, press alt + f10!
    If it does not work, download windows 10 from this site "https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" and select the "pendrive" option! The program will set you up to boot! Inside the windows 10 installation, press shift + f10 and type notepad; then go to file, open and save your files on a USB stick! Then just close the cmd and proceed with a custom install!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you JackE,
    I have the BIOS menu
  • Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    You can try to do a restore by activating the d2drecovery function and after saving on exit, press alt + f10!
    If it does not work, download windows 10 from this site "https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" and select the "pendrive" option! The program will set you up to boot! Inside the windows 10 installation, press shift + f10 and type notepad; then go to file, open and save your files on a USB stick! Then just close the cmd and proceed with a custom install!
    Will I lose all my data on the laptop ?
    I would prefer to downgrade the Bios. is it possible ?
    Thank you
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is possible to do a bios downgrade! However it is not advisable, therefore, this procedure could damage the notebook!
    You can save the files by opening notepad as I said earlier!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for your explanations egydiocoelho
    Then, I will be sure to have a clean windows install even with this 1.13 Bios ?
  • Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    My Windows 10 was pre-installed.
    No problem with the serial number ?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can try doing a restore using the acer recovery partition by activating the d2drecovery function, as I said earlier!
    However, if you decide to do a clean installation by the pendrive, there are no problems either, as the notebook's serial is saved in bios! In this case an equivalent version of your serial is automatically installed! It is enough at the end of the process to put in the same email and password that you used for the first time!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Globulvert

Tinkerer

edited July 2018
    Options
    Magnifique ! :)
    Thank you very much
    Thank you for your explanations egydiocoelho
    Then, I will be sure to have a clean windows install even with this 1.13 Bios ?
    The installation will take into account the 1.13 bios?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I do not know if a clean installation will solve your problem! However an installation always leaves the notebook faster, since, it is not the bloatwares (programs installed by the manufacturer on the factory windows)! Usually a clean installation solves many problems!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    However be careful not to delete the recovery partition of the acer that contains on average 15gb!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I have the BIOS menu>>>

Half the battle right there. Congrats. As @egydiocoelho says, I wouldn't fuss with trying to revert back to an earlier firmware. Too risky. If it were mine, I'd probably make sure the D2D recovery was enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Save settings and exit. Then if it's still stuck, press and hold the power for about 5 secs till it completely shutsdown. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below if the hidden ACER recovery partition is still intact. I'd probably first try to refresh the system to try to save the data and personal files. If no joy, then do a factory reset. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA 

Jack E/NJ

• Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you again
    JackE said:
    >>>I have the BIOS menu>>>

Half the battle right there. Congrats. As @egydiocoelho says, I wouldn't fuss with trying to revert back to an earlier firmware. Too risky. If it were mine, I'd probably make sure the D2D recovery was enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Save settings and exit.

It means that the D2D recovery will not erase my personal files ?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In the acer recovery partition, there is the option to keep the personal files as shown in the video and also the option to delete everything! But if you want to make sure your files are saved, download windows 10 on that site and choose the pendrive! When the pendrive is configured, restart the computer, press f2 and in the boot section, put the pendrive first; also create an easy password in setsupervisorpassword so you can disable the secureboot and boot the pendrive! Inside the installation press shift + f10 and type notepad.exe so you can save your files to an external hd!
    Once backed up, you can use the recovery partition without worrying about losing data or a clean installation via the pendrive (I particularly prefer a clean installation because of bloatwares)!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    edited July 2018
    Options
    >>>It means that the D2D recovery will not erase my personal files ?>>>

No 100% guarantees that any method will be able to save your files. The ALT+F10 refresh method is the fastest and most direct way to try save them and get the machine running again. Just select the recovery method "keep my files". If this doesn't get the machine running again, then I'd explore other way as suggested above. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Globulvert

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you again for your help !
    When I try the D2D recovery (already enabled in bios menu) I have this :