Since 2 months we have wifi problems with 80 chromebooks C738T

MRVELDKAMP
MRVELDKAMP Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Since 2 months we have wifi problems with 80 chromebooks C738T, Chromebooks spontaneously lose WiFi connection. Wifi is no longer available
when via shell prompt (ctrl + t) wifi_power_safe status, the result is: no wifi device available...
This problem occurs with different networks. At school, at home and at work.

The number of chaperebooks with these problems is increasing.

a way to temporarily fix the problem is to reset the Chromebook or to shut down for a long time. It solves the problem for 1 - 3 days.

Disconnecting the battery also sometimes helps.

Replacing the internal wifi card for a new one does not solve the problem.
It is an Intel wifi card.

We are a school with 4200 chromebooks (acer) all included in Google G-Suite administration tool.
Google Chorme OS 63.0.3239.140

Is this a known problem?

Answers

• jaimeinla
    jaimeinla Member Posts: 1 New User
    We are experiencing same issues. We have about 10 devices with the no wifi device available. Wifi appears to be off, when wifi is turned on, its stays on for 2 seconds and automatically turns off again. We have 150 C738t devices total. Replacing the wifi card with a known working one does not work, power washing does not work, reinstalling ChromeOS does not work, disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnecting SOMETIMES solves the issue for one or two days. Restarting the device ( Refresh + Power ) random amount of times ( 5 to 15 times) also works but loses connection at the next shutdown or when lid is closed. We have 2 other manufacturer devices and only Acer seems to be affected. 

On Chrome OS 66.0.3359.158

Using a USB to Ethernet adapter is the only way to get them back online.

Any fix on this?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi MRVELDKAMP and jaimeinla,

I'm very sorry that you're having issues with your Chromebook's.  Can you all please send me a PM with the S/N from one of this units and respond to the PM i have sent?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• MRVELDKAMP
    MRVELDKAMP Member Posts: 2 New User
    Acer-Manny, 
    I sent you a message with some information,

Ronald.
  • ChrisDuke
    ChrisDuke Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi MRVELDKAMP and jaimeinla,

I'm very sorry that you're having issues with your Chromebook's.  Can you all please send me a PM with the S/N from one of this units and respond to the PM i have sent?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

I'm new around here but am having the same issue with my son's chromebook ... it's doing my head in!!  Can't see how to PM you ... can you help? 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi ChrisDuke,

I'm very sorry that you're having issues with your Chromebook.  Can you all please respond to the PM i have sent?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• massedtechguy
    massedtechguy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue.  Can you send me the same information?  Please and thank you.
  • OlleHesko
    OlleHesko Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just joined this forum and did it because we have exactly the same problem in our school.

We have about 300 Acer Chromebooks of which roughly one third is model C738T-C87F. Other models have had no problems.

Is there any solutiuon to this wifi-issue?

• TedMouse
    TedMouse Member Posts: 1 New User
    Exact same wifi problem here with C738T, Model No. N15Q8, Manufacture Date 2016/02/02!
    Please contact me and let me know how to fix this.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi all,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Chromebook's.  

Please contact your IT and have them contact our Premier Advocates to better assist with this or any issues on your Acer Chromebooks. Schools should have a procedure establish for this type of issues and in most of the cases an IT service representative is the one to respond, most of the time the IT rep. gets in touch with our Premier Team for faster resolution. Our team is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Phone: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Chat: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/chat/chat_launch/#_ga=2.157329657.2145093719.1543242893-1045363774.1531752932

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Anastatia
    Anastatia Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue.  Can you send me the same information?  Please and thank you.
  • Macuser
    Macuser Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem as everyone else.  What is the fix