Acer Switch 5 or 3 disassembly?

hedehede81
hedehede81 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
Hello,

I can find instructions to disassemble Acer Switch Alpha 12 but not the next year's model, Switch 5 or Switch 3. The chassis looks slightly different, I couldn't find the screw at where the stand connects to chassis. Anybody managed to open one of these models? It would be awesome to change SSD or battery etc.

Regards.

Best Answer

• Zulucowboy
    Zulucowboy Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    switch 5 is a pry apart no screws. start at the bottom between the grey outer shell and the screen. I use my thumb nail to get started then a plastic prying tool. be very careful and take your time. fragile plastic pins. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What are the full model numbers you're looking for? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hedehede81
    edited April 2018
    JackE said:
    What are the full model numbers you're looking for? Jack E/NJ
    SW512-52 is for Switch 5 (the model I have). SW312-31-P4G1 is for Switch 3. I assumed it would be similar to open these up, but of course instructions for Switch 5 is more appreciated if possible.
  • JackE
    It should be a pry-apart model. Google "sw5-012" and "disassembly" or "teardown" or "dismantle" for various videos. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hedehede81
    JackE said:
    It should be a pry-apart model. Google "sw5-012" and "disassembly" or "teardown" or "dismantle" for various videos. Jack E/NJ
    The model you are referring to is a completely different one, it is a detachable 2-in-1 for a start, where mine is a tablet. It might still be a pry-apart model of course, but I couldn't verify it.
  • JackE
    Yes, the tablet parts are similar. Both probably will result in broken plastic catches on trying to pry them apart. But nothing that color-coordinated duct tape can't fix. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Zulucowboy

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    switch 5 is a pry apart no screws. start at the bottom between the grey outer shell and the screen. I use my thumb nail to get started then a plastic prying tool. be very careful and take your time. fragile plastic pins. 
  • hedehede81
    Thank you very much for the comment. Have you opened the Switch 5 yourself? If yes, would you happen to have any photos of the process? It would be great.
  • JackE
    @hedehede81 I suggest that you NOT try to open the tablet as there are no serviceable parts inside except the battery. The SSD & RAM are soldered to the mainboard and not upgradeable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hedehede81
    JackE said:
    @hedehede81 I suggest that you NOT try to open the tablet as there are no serviceable parts inside except the battery. The SSD & RAM are soldered to the mainboard and not upgradeable. Jack E/NJ
    I'm 99% sure that it has M.2 SATA SSD like its predecessor, Switch Alpha 12, and is upgradeable. RAM is soldered of course. 
  • JackE
    Sorry, the SW512-52 does indeed have the m.2 slot. Pry away and keep the duct tape handy.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Zulucowboy

Tinkerer

Thank you very much for the comment. Have you opened the Switch 5 yourself? If yes, would you happen to have any photos of the process? It would be great.
    yes I have opened it a few times. No I don't have photos.
  • Zulucowboy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I'm 99% sure that it has M.2 SATA SSD like its predecessor, Switch Alpha 12, and is upgradeable. RAM is soldered of course. 
    No its not. i have a 1T 850evo on mine.
  • inteks
    inteks Member Posts: 2 New User
    its easy... but be carefull. ... i put a Samsung 970 Pro in and now im happy again. Benchmark could be better but its OK :)

• hedehede81
    very nice photos, thank you!

• Dsparks84
    Dsparks84 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a SQ312-31. So is there no way that I can add RAM? Laptop has been incredibly slow since I purchased
  • JackE
    Sorry no If you mean the SW312-31. It either comes with 2GB or 4GB soldered to the mainboard. Slowness is likely due to unnecessary non-Microsoft antivirus scanner like McAfee, Norton, AVG. Malwarebytes, etc running in the background. It should be uninstalled. Microsoft Defender and Malicious software removal tool are all most folks needs and they're automatically updated by Win10. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Ozazi
    Ozazi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Does anybody have a pictures of how the inside of switch 3 looks like? I still can't find anywhere if storage can be replaced via ssd
  • JackE
    Sorry. The RAM and eMMC drive are soldered to the mainboard.  The mainboard only supports an SDCard but not an additional SSD or HDD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• amaster
    amaster Member Posts: 1 New User
    I can't find a video or instructions on how to replace the screen on a Switch 5, any ideas? Please post the link if you have found it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which Switch 5 model do you have? It should be something like SW5xx-xxx-xxxx.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.