Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Switch 5 or 3 disassembly?

hedehede81hedehede81 Posts: 16Member Troubleshooter
Hello,

I can find instructions to disassemble Acer Switch Alpha 12 but not the next year's model, Switch 5 or Switch 3. The chassis looks slightly different, I couldn't find the screw at where the stand connects to chassis. Anybody managed to open one of these models? It would be awesome to change SSD or battery etc.

Regards.

Best Answer

• ZulucowboyZulucowboy Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Accepted Answer
    switch 5 is a pry apart no screws. start at the bottom between the grey outer shell and the screen. I use my thumb nail to get started then a plastic prying tool. be very careful and take your time. fragile plastic pins. 

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 14,769ACE Trailblazer
    What are the full model numbers you're looking for? Jack E/NJ
  • hedehede81hedehede81 Posts: 16Member Troubleshooter
    edited April 2018
    JackE said:
    What are the full model numbers you're looking for? Jack E/NJ
    SW512-52 is for Switch 5 (the model I have). SW312-31-P4G1 is for Switch 3. I assumed it would be similar to open these up, but of course instructions for Switch 5 is more appreciated if possible.
    It should be a pry-apart model. Google "sw5-012" and "disassembly" or "teardown" or "dismantle" for various videos. Jack E/NJ
    JackE said:
    It should be a pry-apart model. Google "sw5-012" and "disassembly" or "teardown" or "dismantle" for various videos. Jack E/NJ
    The model you are referring to is a completely different one, it is a detachable 2-in-1 for a start, where mine is a tablet. It might still be a pry-apart model of course, but I couldn't verify it.
    Yes, the tablet parts are similar. Both probably will result in broken plastic catches on trying to pry them apart. But nothing that color-coordinated duct tape can't fix. Jack E/NJ
  • ZulucowboyZulucowboy Posts: 10Member

Tinkerer

Accepted Answer
    switch 5 is a pry apart no screws. start at the bottom between the grey outer shell and the screen. I use my thumb nail to get started then a plastic prying tool. be very careful and take your time. fragile plastic pins. 
    Thank you very much for the comment. Have you opened the Switch 5 yourself? If yes, would you happen to have any photos of the process? It would be great.
    @hedehede81 ; I suggest that you NOT try to open the tablet as there are no serviceable parts inside except the battery. The SSD & RAM are soldered to the mainboard and not upgradeable. Jack E/NJ
    JackE said:
    @hedehede81 ; I suggest that you NOT try to open the tablet as there are no serviceable parts inside except the battery. The SSD & RAM are soldered to the mainboard and not upgradeable. Jack E/NJ
    I'm 99% sure that it has M.2 SATA SSD like its predecessor, Switch Alpha 12, and is upgradeable. RAM is soldered of course. 
    Sorry, the SW512-52 does indeed have the m.2 slot. Pry away and keep the duct tape handy.  :) Jack E/NJ

Tinkerer

Thank you very much for the comment. Have you opened the Switch 5 yourself? If yes, would you happen to have any photos of the process? It would be great.
    yes I have opened it a few times. No I don't have photos.

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I'm 99% sure that it has M.2 SATA SSD like its predecessor, Switch Alpha 12, and is upgradeable. RAM is soldered of course. 
    No its not. i have a 1T 850evo on mine.
  • inteksinteks Posts: 2Member New User
    its easy... but be carefull. ... i put a Samsung 970 Pro in and now im happy again. Benchmark could be better but its OK :)

very nice photos, thank you!