i5 8250u thermal throttling

Options
OYahya
OYahya Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
i have aspire E5-576G-5762 with mx150 gpu, i have been doing some stress test with intel xtu and i realized my cpu is throttling down at 60 c only why is that although power plan is at maximum performance

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    This is a 15W quad core CPU, it can only sustain maximum clock speeds for a short amount of time. It performs very well in single threaded applications(where a single core is used), but when it comes to 4 core loads, the 15W power limit(it can vary depending on the manufacturer from 10W to 25W) isn't just enough to keep the cores running at very high frequencies. When the temperature rises the power needed to run at certain clock speed increases and as the power is limited, then the clock speed needs to be reduced. This is thorttling due to power limit, not high temperature. The temperature at which the system beings to throttle the CPU is around 96C.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can increase the CPU's performance a bit by undervolting it with XTU or Throttlestop. Less voltage equals less power consumed, in other words the performance per watt will increase a bit.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!