Wifi adapter slow only when connecting to 5ghz network

hulmerous
hulmerous Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've been using my predator Helios 300 laptop for a while and all of the sudden the Wireless adapter is having problems with my network. Let me preface by saying that I have a lot of devices on the WiFi and they all get the full 100mbps in the exact same spots as the laptop. My laptop seems to be intentionally limited to 30mbps no matter the distance from the router. Strangly, when I switch to 2.4ghz I am getting faster speeds. I know it's my wifi network as my phone gets the correct speed from the same spot and I put my laptop right next to the router and it is still limited to 30mbps. Anyone seen this?

Answers

• hulmerous
    hulmerous Member Posts: 3 New User
    Well, if anyone else is having the issue, I believe I have found a workaround, although it may still be problematic going forward.

I have the wireless adapter... Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A. Doing some research I found similar issues with similar models, mainly https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/402935/qualcomm-atheros-qca61x4-wireless-network-adapter-driver-12-0-0-116-gives-slow-speed/p2.

I didn't have any luck changing driver versions, but on a whim I noticed my 5ghz network supported both n and ac and my laptop was negotiating ac. I forced my laptop to use n technology only.

Open settings > search 'network adapter' > choose device manager > choose network adapters > choose the one you're using (for me it was Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A) > click on the advanced tab > click on wireless mode > change to 11 a/b/g/n

I do still believe this to be a driver issue but at least it's a workaround for now.