Will Acer add support to Creators Update for Acer Liquid Jade Primo?

Answers

• luke_singer
    luke_singer Member Posts: 54 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited January 2018
    I've just installed the latest build 14393.1944 via Interop Tools using the registry values from Lumia 730 Dual Sim:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
    PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-1040
    PhoneManufacturer: NOKIA
    PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-1040_1020
    PhoneModelName: Lumia 730 Dual Sim
    After this update, I've restored the original keys from Acer
    Everything works fine!
  • tas
    tas Member Posts: 2 New User
    I don`t think lazy Acer team can do something about update. I updated via windows insider a few months before, i still use 15063.850 and it works fine.

• sjhartley2000
    sjhartley2000 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi folks,

Does this phone have the new look Windows store? I don't know whether this comes with the creators update but I'd like to know whether the store will be running the latest updates.
  • luke_singer
    edited February 2018
    Yes, the new Microsoft Store is available on Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update. All apps receive the same updates.
  • luke_singer
    edited March 2018
    Yesterday I installed the new build 14393.2126 with success. This phone works great with this build!
  • Stupops
    Stupops Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi. Does this build need the intertop tools? Mine seems to be holding up pretty good on build 14393.448. Don't want to jinx it. Last time went back into the insidser programme I totally messed it up! Messing with the registry seem way out of my capabilities!
  • luke_singer
    edited April 2018
    Yes, you have to temporarly change the registry to "Lumia 730 Dual Sim" to get the latest cumulative update for Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update (build 14393.2126). After that, restore the original values. 
  • luke_singer
    edited April 2018
    I've installed the new April cumulative update, so now I'm on the build 14393.2189. Everything works fine. I recommend it!
    Acer and Microsoft should release this update officially, so we don't need to edit the registry to install it.
  • Believer
    Believer Member Posts: 6 New User
    I updated from 10.0.14393.67 to 10.0.14393.2248. I followed directions that I found at the XDA developers forum. There was a period of time - BEFORE the new image was flash'd - when the Primo rebooted, but nothing appeared on the screen for about 10 minutes. I was beginning to worry that something had gone wrong. But nothing was wrong; just have to be patient.

Also, the phone rebooted when I turned off Developer mode. I don't know if that's normal, but all has been fine since then.

• RCeng
    RCeng Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have updated to 10.0.14393.2248 also following the directions that I found at the XDA developers forum. In my case I had no issues, and the whole process went smoothly.
  • boldun2
    boldun2 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    After 2 evenings of work especially with Interop Tools (turned out I needed version 1.9 in the starting 14393 build and then a version 2.0 from store plus some other files once creator's update was installed to get to Fall Creator's update), I pretended my phone was an Alcatel Idol 4 Pro in the Registry:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Platform/DeviceTargetingInfo
    1. 'PhoneManufacturer' - change to "Alcatel"
    2. 'PhoneManufacturerModelName', set this to "6077X"
    3. 'PhoneModelName', write in  'IDOL 4 Pro"
    The first version (15063.297) of Creator's Update took a long time and had a blank screen problem, but I connected it still running with its blank screen via USB to a windows PC running the otcupdater.exe app from Microsoft and said otcupdater uploaded the most recent 15063 build to it; this booted and the screen worked fine.
    I am now running version 10.0.15254.401 (=May 8, 2018) seemingly without too many glitches (the lock screen stayed on permanently until I did a hard reset using the power and volume buttons which also reinstates the phone as an Acer S58).
    The reason I upgraded is that I believe we have had the last AU monthly upgrade from Microsoft while 15254 is good till 2019… as a bonus the camera app seems better.

• Believer
    boldun2 said:
    After 2 evenings of work especially with Interop Tools (turned out I needed version 1.9 in the starting 14393 build and then a version 2.0 from store plus some other files once creator's update was installed to get to Fall Creator's update), I pretended my phone was an Alcatel Idol 4 Pro in the Registry:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Platform/DeviceTargetingInfo
    The first version (15063.297) of Creator's Update took a long time and had a blank screen problem, but I connected it still running with its blank screen via USB to a windows PC running the otcupdater.exe app from Microsoft and said otcupdater uploaded the most recent 15063 build to it; this booted and the screen worked fine.
    I am now running version 10.0.15254.401 (=May 8, 2018) seemingly without too many glitches (the lock screen stayed on permanently until I did a hard reset using the power and volume buttons which also reinstates the phone as an Acer S58).
    The reason I upgraded is that I believe we have had the last AU monthly upgrade from Microsoft while 15254 is good till 2019… as a bonus the camera app seems better.

Good information. Have you had any issues with battery life since you updated it?
  • Greywolf1967
    Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    boldun2 said:

You should give a bit more detail, step by step,  as "plus some other files" is a bit of a mystery.

I am sure others like myself would like to follow, however after trying to guess, my phone is still locked I think and I have yet to have the Reg edits hold. Most times Interop just closes when I start to dig into the Reg.

Seeing as I had to restore to factory, and now I can't move back into the Insider preview.....I am locked out of a few store apps that I need.
     I am in hopes to switch to an Alcatel down the road, but could use more info so I can get out of this BS that Acer refuses to fix.
  • Greywolf1967
    Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
     Ok only 7 days to find the right combination that worked, but I am on the way up........if I could do a write up I would.....but to be honest at this point, the level of frustration to get here is unreal!!!!
     I haven't done something as hard as this since the old HTC HD2 days ( so fear and forgetting much played a part).

All I will say is the Windows 10 mobile forum over on XDA is a help, but go into this knowing you risk messing up your phone big time if you get it wrong.
     Get to know "Windows Device Recovery Tool", and the Windows " Over The Cable" update tool !!!!!

Good luck, and on a personal note this is the last phone I will ever do this with.....my heart and temper just don't have the strength to work through this fuss. In future I'll just buy another phone and retire the one I am using, rather than the havoc working on a phone hack causes !!!
  • Believer
    Microsoft has since removed OTCUPDATER.EXE from their website... any link I found to it on this site was broken... any idea where to find it?

• boldun2

Tinkerer

Re microsoft otc updater  (this installs on a pc)

Re: Interop tools (legacy that works under 14393 AU versions)

You need to enable developer mode, then install interop tools legacy + dependency apps bundles (you put them into the documents directory of Phone and then run them using "File Explorer").

Then you go to step 10 of the following tutorial for editing the registry:

Then you reboot and either go to update on the phone or run otcupdater.exe on PC with phone connected via USB.

This got me as far as Creator's update. But I needed to do a hard reset:
    see under 'unresponsive phone' here:

Unfortunately this resets the phone as an Acer S58. So to get Fall Creator's Update I installed the Microsoft Store version of Interop tools and then redid the same registry edits plus another hard reset. You may need to install extensions for this Interop Tools from here:

Good luck!
  • boldun2

Tinkerer

Further to my previous post, for the last  FCU step I should have said "…registry edits *plus O/S upgrade* and then hard reset" — the phone needs to show the spoof registry entries to download the upgrade. 
    As far as battery life is concerned, generally I have found it fine; I have however met a hardware overheating issue (also on earlier builds): if I put the phone in a pocket/pouch where it physically gets above a trigger temperature (eg a suit pocket), then suddenly a spiral process starts whereby the phone converts all its battery reserve into heat in about 20 minutes and then 'dies' when battery power fails. I am unable to abort the spiral by switching off. This happened to me on a flight, and so I had no power left make calls on arrival and had to find somewhere to charge it for an hour or so…
  • boldun2

Tinkerer

June 12,2018 was 'patch Tuesday' and my Acer automatically downloaded OS build 10.0.15254.489 from –.401; that means that once a phone is on 15254.xxx you only need Microsoft (thank you!) and Acer does not have to intervene; maybe you only need to 'spoof' the registry for major feature upgrades. The only annoyance was that the lock screen stayed permanently on (I managed to cure this by doing a hard reset and then also toggling Personalisation/Navigation Bar/Vibration (which involved a reboot - not sure that hard reset was in fact necessary).
    I believe that this patch goes some way to resolve the Meltdown /Spectre vulnerabilities (which were less serious on arm processors anyway).

• luke_singer
    I have just installed the new July 2018 Update (build 14393.2363) on my Acer Liquid Jade Primo. As usual, everything works great!
  • Stupops
    Stupops Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I think I am going to try the registry fix/update method.
    Is it something I can do with a step by step guide?