Intel Turbo boost Not working on Battery on Acer aspire 5 A515-51G-5072

Options
2»

Answers

• Pulkit_1
    Pulkit_1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Pulkit_1 said:
    I have Acer aspire 5 A515-51G-5072 this laptop.
    It has i5 8250u processor. Its processor speed is not going above 1.6 Ghz when i use on battery But its going up to 3.4 Ghz when I connect charger.
    How to resolve this issue?
    Please help.
    I have updated all the drivers.
    Finally found a permanent solution. There's an app called Real Temp. Download it. It's free. Open the app and go to settings. there will be a checkbox there saying Disable Turbo. Uncheck that and there you go. Thank me later.
    Pulkit_1 said:
    I have Acer aspire 5 A515-51G-5072 this laptop.
    It has i5 8250u processor. Its processor speed is not going above 1.6 Ghz when i use on battery But its going up to 3.4 Ghz when I connect charger.
    How to resolve this issue?
    Please help.
    I have updated all the drivers.
    Finally found a permanent solution. There's an app called Real Temp. Download it. It's free. Open the app and go to settings. there will be a checkbox there saying Disable Turbo. Uncheck that and there you go. Thank me later.
  • CALLm151
    CALLm151 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    It is designed to use turbo only when plugged in reduce battery drain and allow maximum CPU cooling. Trying to defeat this purpose is not recommended. Jack E/NJ
    This mean that this model laptop is very bad! I get it because it have 4core processor at 3.4ghz! What is problem a single core to work at 3.4GHz whan is battery powered? 
    At LINUX the tings are worse! If the laptop is powered on on battery, it work at 1.6GHz and pluging the power cable do not enable the turbo boost!
    The laptop work at 1.6GHz forever (to next shutdown). This is happen with the preinstalled "endless os" too!
    I think the ACER must correct this problem or must return the money!!! :(((
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,526 Trailblazer
    Options
    Did you try to make your own custom power plan like Brummyfan2 suggested above with the battery-only maximum CPU state set to 100%? I still think CPU should operate at maxspeed only when plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CALLm151
    CALLm151 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    Did you try to make your own custom power plan like Brummyfan2 suggested above with the battery-only maximum CPU state set to 100%? I still think CPU should operate at maxspeed only when plugged in. Jack E/NJ
    ... setting CPU to 100% at battery do not give a result...
    I tried to disable cpu cores by msconfig/advanst... and set only one core to be active! In this case it run at 1.6GHz too! I think if only one core is enabled, the battery can give enough power to it!
    What is happen with LINUX? I must restart the computer if I plug the power cable to enable the turbo boost! Other think is that the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo | more MHz" report for every 8 cores 1.8GHz always!!! 
    Is it possible for this model laptop to be enabled the advanced BIOS settings? I think this will solve the discussed problem! :)
  • JackE
    Options
    You better check Task Mgr to make sure only one core is running. You might find all cores are still running despite setting only one in MSConfig. The issue is not just the battery when you try to push only one core to the max on battery-only. It can also overheat that core if the CPU fan doesn't run full blast like it does when plugged in.

The BIOS advance settings only control virtual behavior. You can see if other options appear by setting a BIOS supervisor password but I don't think it will work.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Nandan
    Nandan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    The best way to solve this issue is to download an application named real temp. Go to settings and uncheck disable turbo boost. It's something Acer should something about but till then we need to help ourselves. Thank you.
  • JackE
    Options
    This model is designed to use boost only when plugged in to help prevent premature battery & CPU failure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beentheredonethat
    beentheredonethat Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    just use real temp app to untick the disable turbo boost in its setting.simple turbo boost trigger when ever you need it. although keeping windows up-to date will also solve the problem.