Intel Turbo boost Not working on Battery on Acer aspire 5 A515-51G-5072

Options
rachitlucifer
rachitlucifer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have Acer aspire 5 A515-51G-5072 this laptop.
It has i5 8250u processor. Its processor speed is not going above 1.6 Ghz when i use on battery But its going up to 3.4 Ghz when I connect charger.
How to resolve this issue?
Please help.
I have updated all the drivers.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,539 Trailblazer
    Options
    That is how it is supposed to work to save wear and tear on the battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rachitlucifer

Tinkerer

Options
    It start to work sometimes, If the turbo boost can't be enabled on battery. It has very bad performance. Moreover In 7th gen laptops it can be enabled by just switching to high performance mode.
  • rachitlucifer

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    That is how it is supposed to work to save wear and tear on the battery. Jack E/NJ
    It start to work sometimes, If the turbo boost can't be enabled on battery. It has very bad performance. Moreover In 7th gen laptops it can be enabled by just switching to high performance mode.
  • brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,
    Try switching to High performance plan in Power Options, you can also create your custom plan, if you wish.

• JackE
    Options
    As noted, TurboBoost should only be available when the charger is plugged in. However, make sure power settings are for maximum performance and that there are no other CPU intensive activities such as anti-virus running in the background (use Task Manager to see CPU usage from various apps, programs and processes). When the SystemIdleProcess show high CPU usage, you should also see a significant CPU performance  boost. It has also been reported that the A515-51G will get a very nice additional performance boost by increasing the RAM to the adverstised 20GB max. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• rachitlucifer

Tinkerer

Options
    I switched to high performance mode, But it didn't worked. One more thing i noticed is when i wake the laptop from sleep mode. Turbo boost starts to run on Battery. I created my custom plan also but it didn't worked either.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    I switched to high performance mode, But it didn't worked. One more thing i noticed is when i wake the laptop from sleep mode. Turbo boost starts to run on Battery. I created my custom plan also but it didn't worked either.

Hi,
    Can you check whether Maximum Processor state is set to 100% in Advanced Power Options for "On battery".

• rachitlucifer

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes its already set on 100%.
  • rachitlucifer

Tinkerer

Options
    I also installed that brother
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    OK, try this, turn off Fast start-up and run sfc /scannow command at least 3 times, rebooting the laptop in between them, follow the instructions for Option three in this tutorial.
     https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-run-sfc-command-windows-10-a.html
  • CALLm151
    CALLm151 Member Posts: 9 New User
    edited December 2017
    Options
    model: A515-51G-51Y2
    cpu: i5-8250U

On battery and only one intensive process is running the core clock is 1.6GHz! 
    I think this behavior make this laptop more slower than 10years older laptops on single thread performance!!!
    Please give me a solution!

• JackE
    Options
    CALLm151---Please RE-read this thread from the beginning. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CALLm151
    Options
    JackE said:
    CALLm151---Please RE-read this thread from the beginning. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks... I re-read it!
    It is true that after exit from sleep the processor is faster! It is permanent to 3.4GHz all cores after exiting from sleep! If the power cable is plug/unplug in this case the state is return to initial one: the processor clock is max 1.6GHz. Only once (I do not know how) the state was "normal" on the battery: starting intensive process increase the clock to 3.4GHz.
    Is this strange behavior is by Acer design or it is a mistake?
  • JackE
    Options
    CALLm151>>> Only once (I do not know how) the state was "normal" on the battery: starting intensive process increase the clock to 3.4GHz.
    Is this strange behavior is by Acer design or it is a mistake?>>>

This should only be transient behavior. If the charger is unplugged, the speed should eventually slow down so the battery doesn't drain too fast. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CALLm151
    Options
    JackE said:
    CALLm151>>> Only once (I do not know how) the state was "normal" on the battery: starting intensive process increase the clock to 3.4GHz.
    Is this strange behavior is by Acer design or it is a mistake?>>>

This should only be transient behavior. If the charger is unplugged, the speed should eventually slow down so the battery doesn't drain too fast. Jack E/NJ

... after exiting from sleep (open the cover) the CPUs speed is 3.4GHz for around 1min. After that they are decreased to for example 800MHz... If a single intensive process is started the speed is increased to 3.4GHz! This state is stopped only if the charger is plugged and unplugged! In this case the processor's clock are no more than 1.6GHz.
    I think that idea of the "Turbo Boost" is if the processor is cool to increase its frequency at maximum! If only one intenisve process is started I think it is not a problem! If only one core from 4 work at maximum speed it is not a problem! Many intensive calculations used only one process!!! In this case this laptop is equivalent to a SINGLE CORE PROCESSOR AT 1.6GHz!!! I don't know who control this? Maybe Intel at processor core? Or BIOS or a OS driver??? How will be in a other OS, Linux for example?
  • JackE
    Options
    CALLm151>>> Maybe Intel at processor core? Or BIOS or a OS driver??? How will be in a other OS, Linux for example?>>>

I think all the factors that you mention are involved in determining when TurboBoost is enabled and disabled. Accordingly, the WinVer or LinVer installed could be reasonably expected to affect this as well as other hardware subsystems. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Pulkit_1
    Pulkit_1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    It has i5 8250u processor. Its processor speed is not going above 1.6 Ghz when i use on battery But its going up to 3.4 Ghz when I connect charger.
    Please help.

I own the same laptop and face same issue but there's a trick that I found that enables turbo boost. Boot your laptop normally then put it to sleep(fn+F4), let it go to sleep and then press any button to power it up again and check the task manager. You'll get turbo frequency. Looks like it's a driver or bios issue.

• JackE
    Options
    It is designed to use turbo only when plugged in reduce battery drain and allow maximum CPU cooling. Trying to defeat this purpose is not recommended. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pulkit_1
    Pulkit_1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Please help.
    Finally found a permanent solution. There's an app called Real Temp. Download it. It's free. Open the app and go to settings. there will be a checkbox there saying Disable Turbo. Uncheck that and there you go. Thank me later.