Windows Update stuck on “Please wait while we install a system update” message (Acer r5-471t-534x)

Jose-Acer
Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator
edited October 2023 in Windows 10

Hello everyone,

Acer is aware that some units may be unable to boot into Windows after installing Windows Updates. Users have reported receiving a blank screen or a message that reads: “Please wait while we install a system update”.  This issue has been escalated and Acer is working with the appropriate parties to identify and deliver a solution as soon as possible.  We will provide updates on this topic as additional information becomes available.

We ask for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience,

Acer-Jose

Comments

• trvrh
    trvrh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

This just happened to me this morning too.  Please let us know what needs to be done.  I need this laptop to work.  I have read some stuff about BIOS possibly needing an update.  I don't know what BIOS I was on but I see that there is a new 1.12 version.  Do I need to update to this and if so, how since I can't boot the machine up?
  • SkittleBeast
    SkittleBeast Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
     said:
    This just happened to me this morning too.  Please let us know what needs to be done.  I need this laptop to work.  I have read some stuff about BIOS possibly needing an update.  I don't know what BIOS I was on but I see that there is a new 1.12 version.  Do I need to update to this and if so, how since I can't boot the machine up?
    A bunch of users including me updated our BIOS and are back up and running.  See the thread at: 
    community.acer.com/en/discussion/533702/does-anyone-know-how-to-perform-a-bios-recover-for-acer-aspire-r5-471t#_ga=2.78756626.769631956.1511304292-1051814982.1511304292

• trvrh

Tinkerer

Thanks, but how do you do that?  When i download the BIOS it comes in a zip.  Do I extract that and put that on the flash drive?  Do I leave it as a zip?  Do I have to rename the file?  What's the process?
  • SkittleBeast
     said:
    Thanks, but how do you do that?  When i download the BIOS it comes in a zip.  Do I extract that and put that on the flash drive?  Do I leave it as a zip?  Do I have to rename the file?  What's the process?

Yes extract and you have to rename the BIOS file to  SKI2Luffy.fd

I had problems until I used this version (1.12) of the BIOS at this link below... BTW it is already renamed. Just download it and copy to USB stick.
    drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6x...RXvL3/view

That's the only file you need on the USB stick.

Then flash using this procedure:

1. Copy the BIOS file to an empty and with FAT16/32 formatted usb stick.  I used a 4GB usb stick.
    2. Unplug the AC adapter.
    3. Plug in the USB flash disk.
    4. Press and hold <Fn> and <Esc>, and then plug in the AC adapter while still holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    5. Press the Power button. You can now stop holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    6. The BIOS flash should now begin, the fan will spin up and the power led should change its state.
    7. After everything is done, the notebook will shut down.
  • trvrh

Tinkerer

said:

I had problems until I used this version (1.12) of the BIOS at this link below... BTW it is already renamed. Just download it and copy to USB stick.

1. Copy the BIOS file to an empty and with FAT16/32 formatted usb stick.  I used a 4GB usb stick.
    4. Press and hold <Fn> and <Esc>, and then plug in the AC adapter while still holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    6. The BIOS flash should now begin, the fan will spin up and the power led should change its state.
    Thanks, I tried that but it still doesn't seem to be working.  The drive I have is a 2 GB drive formatted to FAT16.  I renamed the file (used to be BIOS_112.exe, now is SK12Luffy.fd).  The screen is still black when it powers on.  Occasionally it will flash like the screen light is trying to turn on but that's it.  About every 30 seconds the flash drive light will flash but then go back off.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.
  • SkittleBeast
    Use the BIOS file from the link I posted.
  • Fireheyzk
    Fireheyzk Member Posts: 6 New User
    Please fix this issue soon as possible. 
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    @trvrh

you misspelled it.  That isn't the number 1.  It's the letter I. 
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • SkittleBeast
    JordanB said:
    @trvrh

you misspelled it.  There's no one.  It's the letter I. 
    " I renamed the file (used to be BIOS_112.exe, now is SK12Luffy.fd)."

Good catch!  He may have misspelled it!  If he uses the BIOS from the link he'll be ok.  It has the correct spelling already. :)
  • trvrh

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    @trvrh

you misspelled it.  There's no one.  It's the letter I. 
    " I renamed the file (used to be BIOS_112.exe, now is SK12Luffy.fd)."

Good catch!  He may have misspelled it!  If he uses the BIOS from the link he'll be ok.  It has the correct spelling already. :)
    Thanks for checking that.  That was actually a mistype when I was responding in here.  When I renamed it I copied and pasted so as long as you spelled it correctly it should be good.  I'll check again when I get back to my computer but I don't think that is the issue.
  • trvrh

Tinkerer

I couldn't get the link to work.  Please repost the link.  (drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6x...RXvL3/view)  I don't think the "..." is supposed to be there.
  • SkittleBeast
    trvrh said:
    I couldn't get the link to work.  Please repost the link.  (drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6x...RXvL3/view)  I don't think the "..." is supposed to be there.
    Sorry... here it is.  You have to put a http in front of the link.  The forum doesn't allow me to add an actual link here.

drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6xmKy6iR16Eru9JK1LKOtkRXvL3/view
  • Fireheyzk
    Fireheyzk Member Posts: 6 New User

said:

Thanks, I tried that but it still doesn't seem to be working.  The drive I have is a 2 GB drive formatted to FAT16.  I renamed the file (used to be BIOS_112.exe, now is SK12Luffy.fd).  The screen is still black when it powers on.  Occasionally it will flash like the screen light is trying to turn on but that's it.  About every 30 seconds the flash drive light will flash but then go back off.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.
    It didn't work for me either.
  • msmith123
    msmith123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Simply renaming the exe/zip file won't work.
    You need the pure BIOS file, which is hidden inside the exe-File (which also includes the Windows-Flasher that isn't needed here).
    The procedure to get the BIOS file from the exe is described here: community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/536806/#Comment_536806

The easiest way would be to just use the linked file (which is the untouched BIOS file from Acer).

• trvrh

Tinkerer

msmith123 said:
    Simply renaming the exe/zip file won't work.
    You need the pure BIOS file, which is hidden inside the exe-File (which also includes the Windows-Flasher that isn't needed here).
    The procedure to get the BIOS file from the exe is described here: community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/536806/#Comment_536806

The easiest way would be to just use the linked file (which is the untouched BIOS file from Acer).

That worked!  Thank you so much for your help.  My machine is back up and running on the new BIOS version.
  • Nefastus
    Nefastus Member Posts: 2 New User
    BIOS update worked for us, thanks so much!
  • TheSwede
    TheSwede Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Still nothing official from ACER, really bad of them....
  • RCheslek
    RCheslek Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2017
    This may sound stupid, but do these instructions start with the laptop currently on and on a black screen or with the laptop off?  I can't seem to get the machine to start the update from either state...

And how long should the update take to complete?  I don't mind the wait, but don't want to waste time staring at a black screen for an hour for something that should take 30 seconds to complete.
  • JJandera
    JJandera Member Posts: 2 New User
    My Acer r5-471t-534x updated as well. Just saying... I'm going to try the fix and see what happens.

• Laura123
    Laura123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    First restart the system and then try it.  Clear the cache as it can also put an impact on windows. Then try again if still you face an issue then  go to offiicial windows website
This discussion has been closed.