Do I have to use Single Rank x8 or x16?

oirad360
oirad360 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I've got an Acer Aspire e5 575g 5385, it has got 4 gb ddr4 ram sr x16 and I'd like to add 4gb more. I'm going to choose Crucial but there's only the sr x8 model, what are the consequences of installing a sr x8 on a pc with sr x16 ram? Is it better to buy sr x16? Do you suggest other brands that might be present in my Amazon with sr x16 model and might be better than Crucial? 

Best Answers

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Having x8 and x16 RAM is likely to stop the PC from booting, or if it boots, they won't work in a dual channel. The memory you already have is sr x16, so the RAM you want to buy should also be sr x16.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• oirad360

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    Having x8 and x16 RAM is likely to stop the PC from booting, or if it boots, they won't work in a dual channel. The memory you already have is sr x16, so the RAM you want to buy should also be sr x16.
    One more question, even if my laptop supports a max of 2133 mhz, will there be problems if I install a ram of 2400? Would it run however at 2133?
  • ven98
    If you install 2400Mhz RAM, it will be downclocked to 2133MHz.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• oirad360

Tinkerer

Can I install a dual rank even if mine is single rank?
  • ven98
    edited November 2017
    I am not sure, whether the system will boot, but if it does boot, the RAM sticks won't work in dual channel.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• oirad360

Tinkerer

Do you have any suggestion for a 4gb ddr4 2133mhz sr x16?
  • oirad360

Tinkerer

oirad360 said:
    Do you have any suggestion for a 4gb ddr4 2133mhz sr x16?
    However, I used the Scan tool provided by crucial and it shows many compatible models, included the sr x8 and also dual rank, even if my ram is sr x16... What should I do?
  • ven98
    The system may or may not boot, but the RAM modules won't work in dual-channel.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    You have a trial peroid, so if the RAM isn't compatible you can just return it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• oirad360

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    The system may or may not boot, but the RAM modules won't work in dual-channel.
    So if it boots, the laptop recognizes 8 gb of ram but the 2 modules won't work in dual channel? There's a big difference between dual channel and single?
  • ven98
    When you have 2 memory modules(each 64bit bandwidth) having them work in dual channel mode will result in 128bit bandwidth. In gaming the differens between single and dual channel won't be noticable(excpet a bit better loading times), but in situations where intensive use of RAM is required you may see about 5-15% improvement.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @oirad360

I looked at your Micron part # in your other topic that you started.

If you want the same exact part number that you have in it, then take a look at netpatibles.  The Netpatiples in link below is just micron memory with a netpatibles sticker on it.  They sell it here in USA at Staples and few other places.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/533662#Comment_533662

http://www.nothingbutsavings.com/Product/413453-Netpatibles-Micron-Compatibles-4GB-x64-SR-260-Pin-DDR4-SODIMM-Memory-Module

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netpatibles-Micron-Compatibles-4GB-x64-SR-260-Pin-DDR4-SODIMM-Memory-Module/201923654128?hash=item2f039671f0:g:QRYAAOSwR6RaA134

If you're in doubt about buying Crucial, then send them an email.  Keep in mind that Crucial is technically the offical retail arm of Micron although they don't always have the exact OEM part that's in your laptop.  The netpatibles appears to be the same exact OEM Micron part that's in your laptop.  Good luck.

I'm not an Acer employee.