Expanding RAM in Acer Aspire e5 575g

oirad360oirad360 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

<div>I ordered this laptop with 4gb ddr4 ram but I want to buy other 4gb. I chose Crucial but and I found 2 identical models, one shows "SR x8" and the other shows "SR x16", can you tell me the difference?</div><div>If you suggest other models, please write it :)
</div>

Best Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 20,102 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    I think it's the manufacturing process and not related to speed, for compatibility as I said before, after receiving the laptop check the specs of the RAM installed and get the matching module and install.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    You can install 2400MT/s module to match the original RAM but I guess both will run at 2133MT/s as the Motherboard supports the maximum speed of 2133MT/s.
  • SamClemensSamClemens Member Posts: 7 New User
    Accepted Answer
    Your CPU's data sheet is here:
    (paste this after the .com/ part of Intel's website) content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-7200u.html

@brummyfan2 gave the best advice, which is to simply buy an exact duplicate of the RAM that is in your machine already. This will meet your goal very nicely.

Your laptop will only take a total of two sticks. Just go for single rank memory and you'll be fine. Don't confuse it with single-channel, by the way. Channel and rank are two different things. Your CPU will support dual-channel memory, which is a huge improvement over single-channel, so you should pay attention to that. But rank--just get single rank.

Alternatively, to look at your upgrade options now that your machine has presumably been delivered, you can turn on your machine and go to Crucial's website and run their system scanner. Whatever you do, matching is always the best practice because any mismatch of specs will cause problems, whether it's the clock speed, CAS latency (CL), or what have you. That's why they sell kits of matched sticks.

FAQ & Answers

Hi,
    Could you please provide the details of the memory module installed in your laptop, you can find the details on the module itself or use CPU-z to find out the details.
  • oirad360oirad360 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

<blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/en/profile/brummyfan2">brummyfan2</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi,
    Could you please provide the details of the memory module installed in your laptop, you can find the details on the module itself or use CPU-z to find out the details.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    I still haven't got the pc, I just ordered it on Amazon (it should arrive on 2nd November)...

Tinkerer

<blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/en/profile/brummyfan2">brummyfan2</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi,
    Yes, that's fine.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    I'd just need the difference between the SR x8 and SR x16... If it stands for something like memory's speed or compatibility with the ram's slot, maybe I could solve the issue by my self.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    I think it's the manufacturing process and not related to speed, for compatibility as I said before, after receiving the laptop check the specs of the RAM installed and get the matching module and install.
    True, it is about compatibility in some ways.
    SR = single rank (as opposed to dual rank or quad rank)
    For context, you could replace four 4GB single-rank modules with a single 16GB quad-rank module. The question then would be, how many memory ranks can your operating system address? This is really a question for servers, not your laptop.

If you look at a memory module, you can see it has several chips on it. The x8 and x16 are classifiers for those chips.

In short, SRx8 and SRx16 are references to the entire module's density of chips.

What's your model number? (E5-575G-????)

Tinkerer

> @SamClemens said:
    > True, it is about compatibility in some ways.
    > SR = single rank (as opposed to dual rank or quad rank)
    > For context, you could replace four 4GB single-rank modules with a single 16GB quad-rank module. The question then would be, how many memory ranks can your operating system address? This is really a question for servers, not your laptop.
    >
    > If you look at a memory module, you can see it has several chips on it. The x8 and x16 are classifiers for those chips.
    >
    > In short, SRx8 and SRx16 are references to the entire module's density of chips.
    >
    > What's your model number? (E5-575G-????)

My laptop is a E5-575G-5385
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    You can install 2400MT/s module to match the original RAM but I guess both will run at 2133MT/s as the Motherboard supports the maximum speed of 2133MT/s.
    Accepted Answer
    Your CPU's data sheet is here:
    (paste this after the .com/ part of Intel's website) content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-7200u.html

@brummyfan2 gave the best advice, which is to simply buy an exact duplicate of the RAM that is in your machine already. This will meet your goal very nicely.

Your laptop will only take a total of two sticks. Just go for single rank memory and you'll be fine. Don't confuse it with single-channel, by the way. Channel and rank are two different things. Your CPU will support dual-channel memory, which is a huge improvement over single-channel, so you should pay attention to that. But rank--just get single rank.

Alternatively, to look at your upgrade options now that your machine has presumably been delivered, you can turn on your machine and go to Crucial's website and run their system scanner. Whatever you do, matching is always the best practice because any mismatch of specs will cause problems, whether it's the clock speed, CAS latency (CL), or what have you. That's why they sell kits of matched sticks.