Linux on W700

colorprint
colorprint Member Posts: 2 New User

Does somebody tried to install Ubuntu linux on W700P ?

Are all components works with linux?

Answers

• cosmos10040
    cosmos10040 Member Posts: 1 New User

i would like to know if this is possible too!

• h0bbe
    h0bbe Member Posts: 12 New User

Me too. Report here if you dare trying!

Edit: Ubuntu should work and it looks like this guy is running it.

• sopaj96
    sopaj96 Member Posts: 154 Troubleshooter
  • Mucchan
    Mucchan Member Posts: 9 New User

Is it possible to install Linux to a bootable USB stick and boot it up from the W700 I wonder? I'd like to have Linux or Android (Android x86 or Android IA) on W700, but I don't want to mess around with the Windows partition.

• h0bbe
    h0bbe Member Posts: 12 New User

More about Ubuntu on W700, but in german.

My plan is to be patient and wait for 13.04 before I try to install Ubuntu on the W700 (I don't even have one yet, but hopefully next week). By then there might be a guide somewhere that I can follow! After some googling on the topic it doesn't seem to be painless dual booting Win 8 and Ubuntu in general. Many seem to have had trouble changing the boot priority and to make the W700 to boot from an USB.

• sopaj96
    sopaj96 Member Posts: 154 Troubleshooter
    h0bbe: its not hard to change the boot priority, its easy change able from the uefi or what its called settings Smiley Happy The question is how to change to boot priority when your on ubuntu, or maybe its not needed when you eject the usb stick Smiley Happy I think I might give this a try but with mac maybe Smiley Happy I will report if I do something Smiley Happy
  • penguinbait
    penguinbait Member Posts: 2 New User

I a runing Fedora 18, I do not have dual booting working yet.  Stick to legacy boot in bios for linux, every time I try UEFI  it hoses windows8, even just booting from a UEFI dvd hoses windows8??  I did also boot from USB and take a backup of the 128GB drive before starting.  It also comes with media to reload windows8.  I am typing from it right now via h buetooth keyboard.  Could not get to pair properly, but if connected with no pairing it works great.

• penguinbait
    penguinbait Member Posts: 2 New User

I restored windows 8.  I then deleted the second recovery partition it created and used minitool partition wizard to resize windows 8, and rebooted.  I then went into the bios, added a supervisor password, and disabled "secure boot", password is necessary to disable secureboot.  I then booted uefi cd fedora 18 and reinstalled.  It worked perfectly however the windows partition is not in grub.  So if you want to switch between windows and fedora you need to change boot order in bios.  I am sure you could add the line in grub, just not looked at it yet, and I can move the selecting in grub menu but no enter key, so that needs remapped during boot to use grub withut an external keyboard anyway.   I am sure any distro would work well, but some are less tablet friendly.    

• holtek
    holtek Member Posts: 3 New User

No, but I got windows embedded 7 standard running on a W700 after much effort. 

• smaug42
    smaug42 Member Posts: 3 New User

Was there ever any movement on this?

I've installed Linux on the W700, and it works.. mostly.  The ONLY issue I've got is getting the BlueTooth keyboard to pair.  I've tried pretty much every Linux distro I can think of and none will pair the keyboard.  I can see the keyboard, I can start the pairing process, sometimes I can even see the generated pairing key and type it in... but 100% of the time, the pairing fails.

If anyone has any ideas here.. I'm all ears.

• jimbridgman
    jimbridgman Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey,

On the previous page someone linked to my thread on xda where i was telling another dev about my w700 running 12.10.

Everything but the internal bluetooth works even gestures. Just get a bluetooth usb adaptor known to work with linux. I got a kingston (can't remember the model number, but it is the one that you can connect multipule devices to). I have thier keyboard and mouse working well with it, it was like 99 bucks for the adaptor keyboard and mouse package.

Jim

• smaug42
    smaug42 Member Posts: 3 New User

Using the external Bluetooth usb dongle... can you pair the Acer keyboard with the tablet (runnign Linux)? or do you have to go with a complete external keyboard?  Just wondering before I cough up the money for a bluetooth usb dongle that is known to work with Linux.

• ratboy666
    ratboy666 Member Posts: 1 New User

Actually the Iconia W700 built-in Bluetooth works fine with Linux. Tested with Fedora 20 on an Iconia W700 (Core i3, 64GB version).

The only issue is with pairing. To pair this, you need to use terminal session.

Load a reasonable on-screen keyboard. The one built into Gnome 3.10, well, it.. isn't that useable. No control key, or function keys, or arrow keys. Enable the built in on-screen keyboard and load Florence:

(accessibility, then "Screen Keyboard")

launch a terminal, and then

sudo yum install florence

Launch florence

run the utility

bluetoothctl
    [bluetooth]

and issue the commands "pairable on", "discoverable on" and "scan on". Put the keyboard into pairing mode. Enter the command "devices" which will list the devices and bluetooth ids. Enter the command "pair keyboard_id" where the keyboard_id is the bluetooth id for the keyboard (from the devices command). The numeric pairing code will displayed. Enter the digits and then enter. Enter the command "connect keyboard_id". Enter the command "trust keyboard_id".

And that should be it. The keyboard should automatically pair whenever it is on and you press a key (may take a few seconds). I have paired the Acer keyboard, a mouse and a headset using this technique.

Do the keyboard first -- it makes pairing the other devices easier!

Yes, it isn't pretty (this should work from the GUI in Gnome, and doesn't). Also, headsets use the high quality mode only (a regression from Fedora 19. Hopefully, this will get better in future releases (may already be better in other distributions).

• oldone
    oldone Member Posts: 1 New User

I instaled lubuntu 14.04.1, and am quite happy with it. Touchscreen works, but is of little use to me -- we old farts prefer keyboards and mice. I tried a variety of USB/bluetooth/keyboard/mouse combinations, they all work fine. Beware of bluetooth+wireless pairs. 

The only real problem is to establish connection to the native BT keyboard BEFORE login. (Pairing does not work with Linux.) My solution is for the lxde/lightdm-gtk-greeter combination. All one needs to know is in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LightDM.

You should know how to make yourself root, use synaptic or apt-get, locate the relevant configuration files (they are never where they should be), and make scripts executable. IF ANY OF THIS IS A PROBLEM TO YOU, STICK WITH WINDOWS.

So:

1. Log in with a USB keyboard and mouse. Make sure that blueman and onboard are installed and functional. 

2. Start onboard-settings. Dock onboard to the bottom and enlarge it to suit your fingers.

3. Connect for the first time to the Iconia bluetooth keyboard using blueman-manager (do not forget to make the kb discoverable). Search and wait till the kb appears. Pairing does not work, so do Setup->Proceed without pairing->Input service. The kb should be found and connected. Make it trusted. 

Now comes the black magic:

4. Write a two-line script:

/usr/bin/blueman-manager &

/usr/bin/onboard &

Put it whereever suits your fancy. Do not forget to make it executable. Check that it works with full path.

5. In lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf, uncomment the line with 'keyboard=', and change it to 'keyboard=<full path to your script>'. 

6. Restart or Shutdown.

When logging in:

1. Make the kb discoverable. Wait for the login screen.

2. In the Universal Access menu (a man in a circle), choose On Screen Keyboard. Blueman and onboard should appear.

The rest is up to you. If you want the keyboard, do Device->Input service, or repeat the above setup procedure. Without the keyboard, just use onboard to login. Having a mouse helps (my bluetooth Hama is found automatically). With touchscreen, it's try-and-curse-it before you finally hit the right menu. 

This discussion has been closed.