JOIN OUR RANKS
Sign up for an Acer ID and get exclusive access to deals and the Predator Den community, where you can ask and answer questions about gaming and gear.
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.Visit our Product Forums for more current content.
after having spent many hours to understand windows 8 and UEFI BIOS behavior, to be
able to start the machine from any "FAT32/MBR boot device" using "legacy bios" (secure boot disabled),
now I have a "little" problem with my new Acer V5-571G. This is the "story":
- I made a Windows driver and BIOS update using acer "live updater" software from to BIOS v.2.11 (that is not available in the acer support website...)
- In this situation pressing (and holding) the F2 key before the power on button gave me access to BIOS setup screen
- At this point in no way I was able to start any boot device different from internal HDD.
- So, I set up the bios admin password, enabled boot menu (F12 key), and enabled "Legacy BIOS" (this disable also "Secure Boot").
- After a restart, also in this situation, no boot device was able to start...
- But at this point the problem is that F2 key to access setup BIOS page doesn't work, so after searching a solution from internet (using another PC because in non uefi mode Windows 8 doesn't start) I gained Windows access and UEFI mode by pressing and holding the power on button for 2 minutes... however from this moment F2 key doesn't work also in this UEFI mode.
- with uefi enabled, the only way I can access the BIOS setup screen is to select it from Windows 8 configuration page.
- In non uefi mode (legacy bios) I can start from a boot device like the Windows 8 recovery pendrive or dvd (I don't know why now works, I tried different bios configuration, lastly setting up also the user password)
- to return to uefi mode I have to press for two min the power button (!!)
The problem is that if the internal HDD will be damaged, I will not be able access to BIOS setup using a specific key (such as F2).
Do you know if there is a way to solve this problem? Thank you.