Acer Aspire R7 Wifi Fix!

kaiprt
kaiprt Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello everyone,

I purchased an Aspire R7 a couple months ago and was terribly dissappointed with the wifi connectivity. I see a lot of users have had this issue as well. Well today I fixed the problem and it is very simple.

1. Navigate to your Device Manager

2. Click on "Network adapters"

3. Double-click on "Braodcom 802.11n Network Adapter"

#A new window should open.

4. In the new window click the "Advanced" tab

#I changed two values

5. Navigate to "IBSS Mode" change value from 802.11a/b/g Auto to 802.11a/b/g Performance

6. Navigate down to the last property ("XPress (TM) Technology") change value from Disabled to Enabled.

MY SPEED WENT FROM .75MBPS TO 20.14MBPS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY HOUSE. 

Please comment and let me know if this works for your R7 or any other Acer laptop.

If this does not work also try setting "IBSS Mode" to 802.11a/b/g Auto

-Kai

Answers

• laserwolf452
    laserwolf452 Member Posts: 5 New User

kaiprt wrote:

Hello everyone,

I purchased an Aspire R7 a couple months ago and was terribly dissappointed with the wifi connectivity. I see a lot of users have had this issue as well. Well today I fixed the problem and it is very simple.

1. Navigate to your Device Manager

2. Click on "Network adapters"

3. Double-click on "Braodcom 802.11n Network Adapter"

#A new window should open.

4. In the new window click the "Advanced" tab

#I changed two values

5. Navigate to "IBSS Mode" change value from 802.11a/b/g Auto to 802.11a/b/g Performance

6. Navigate down to the last property ("XPress (TM) Technology") change value from Disabled to Enabled.

MY SPEED WENT FROM .75MBPS TO 20.14MBPS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY HOUSE. 

Please comment and let me know if this works for your R7 or any other Acer laptop.

If this does not work also try setting "IBSS Mode" to 802.11a/b/g Auto

-Kai

i tried this and i did see a incress on the speed a bit but when i watch netflix or play my music on my google play music it play for a bit then gets all crappy again, it work fine when im close to my home router, but as for my verizion 4g wifi hotspot, it dont work well, even if im on top of my 4g router, i can run my usb wifi chip with no problems even when i am far away from both routers, i hope acer can help me out when i call them tomarrow about this.

thanks for posting this by the way Smiley Happy

• kenburkhalter
    kenburkhalter Member Posts: 9 New User

OMG!  You are a genius and so very good to post your findings.  

I have been fighting this problem for over 4 months, and have cleaned the Registry, defragged the disk, purged unneeded background programs, etc, etc but all to no avail.  :-(

Finally in frustration tonight, I plugged directly into my router via ethernet cable and discoved the computer was clearly capable of good performance, thus pretty much proving that the source of the issue was in the wifi adapter.

Did a Google search on the subject and found your posting on my 2nd try.

Made your suggested settings changes to the wireless network adapter and OMG there was an order of magnitude difference in performance between speedtest.net measurements made before and after the changes.

Web browsing is now a pleasure again, and we don't have to wait for 5 minutes for emails to update everytime we fire up Thunderbird (mails now appear in 3-5 seconds!).

We are VERY HAPPY CAMPERS thanks to you.

Thank you for your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-)

• kpy4e-Net
    kpy4e-Net Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you a LOT !!!

• kenburkhalter

Unfortunately it all fell apart.

The "improvement" only lasted a day, or so, and quickly went from bad to badder!

Never knew what the next power on restart was going to bring in terms of performance.  It finally got to hardly better than a dial up modem.  For anyone too young to have experienced those, the maximum speed was 50Kbs!  :-(  

Added an external USB wifi adapter for temporary fix and this week sending the whole dang computer back to acer to be repaired.

It has been a disaster!

• naqash
    naqash Member Posts: 25 New User

Which model 572 or 572G?

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

For me, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of sending it back when I could replace the wifi card for about $20.

• kenburkhalter

This machine is a Laptop and thus I assume there is no "card" but that the Broadcom wifa Adapter is an integral part of the circuit board, and thus not "readily" replaced.    [:-)}

I haven't looed to be sure, but I've never had a laptop before with swappable cards like a "tower" system.

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

The wifi card is in this photo, just below the speakers, with the long barcode on it.
    http://i.imgur.com/EXZpviO.jpg

Bookmark this post for future reference.
    http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Aspire-R7-572-Teardown/m-p/217869#M36147

• kenburkhalter

OMG!

That is a first in my experience.  :-)  I've never encountered replaceable cards in a laptop.

Where does one purchase that wifi card?

I agree it would be much simplier to replace that than ship the entire Laptop back and the cost is virtually the same, if not cheaper!!!

Much thanks.

• kpy4e-Net
    kpy4e-Net Member Posts: 2 New User

Yep, unfortunately main stopped working to.
    The only problem with replacing the existing one with the new one will avoid the warranty. So in my case I will have to demand from  Acer tech department to have a solution to this problem also I think the problem is not within the hardware it has to do with a driver/software.

• kenburkhalter

I ordered a new (Intel) wifi card from Newegg, and it should be here Tues.  I will advise what happens.

• kenburkhalter

I installed the INTEL|7260 wifi adapter today and was rewarded with instant success!!!

Getting to the adapter is relatively easy.  There are ~13 screws on the bottom of the case.  Three of them are hidden under the small rubber foot and two under the long rubber foot (both in the middle of the width).  Note that the collection of screws are of two different lengths.  The top screws are short, and the long ones go across the middle and bottom of the base (bottom being with the keyboard towards you).

Carefully remove the two antenna connectors from the old card, and then the holddown screw.  You can then easily remove the adapter from  its socket, and install the new card.  Be sure to use an anti-static strap to ground yourself to the computer case.

As soon as the R7 started up it auto-installed the Intel wifi Adapter driver, and things worked perfectly, thereafter.

The speeds are now 10-20 times faster than before and the R7 is acting like a REAL computer at last.  Watched, for the first time ever, a 3 minute video from YouTube without stuttering or pauses!

YES!!

• Carmelo92
    Carmelo92 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi! Smiley Happy

Thank you for the tip! I bought the same adapter and I installed it (it was my first time opening a pc) and now it works really good! Smiley Happy

Thanks again! Smiley Very Happy

• stevenlmas
    stevenlmas Member Posts: 1 New User
    THANK YOU! I bought a $10 wireless USB Network Adapter which also helped, but glad to have a free USB port.
  • eddysalim
    eddysalim Member Posts: 2 New User

Hii have the same problems my wifi internet was very slow and i do this ,because i follow the steps that other people put here and really for me doesnt work , i go to device manager and uninstall all the thing with the drivers and all in network adapters and next of that they appear again and works awesome fast and realiable i dont konow why but is the unique think that works for me .

• kenburkhalter

eddysalim-

Just uninstalling and re-installing the drivers will do nothing.  The problem appears to be in the stock wi-adapter that comes with the Acer.  Unless that factory installed adapter is replaced, the wi-fi problems WILL remain.

The only cure that I have found, that worked, was to replace the factory wi-fi adapter with an Intel replacement (Tiger.com) carries them.  See prior commenst in this discussion thread.

That totally fixed my Acer and it works at VERY high speeds now!

• johngosselin
    johngosselin Member Posts: 3 New User

Immediately improved my wifi. Thanks! (If the improvement doesn't persist, I'll install the Intel card.)

• CherdsakT
    CherdsakT Member Posts: 1 New User

I tried these two settings on my R7/571G but does not help improving the download speed.

My Internet download/upload speed is 50/5Mbps.

I have no problem with other devices.

But with R7, the download speed is 1-5 Mbps only.

There are lots of complain about R7's Wifi performance, does Acer has an official answer about this issue?

• kenburkhalter

Disappointedly, Acer seems to be quiet about this issue.  Perhaps it doesn't happen enough to build a fire under them.

Anyway, from the chatter, there does not seem to be any reliable cure but to buy the Intel wi-fi card.  It is cheaper to buy the card than to ship the computer back to Acer for repairs, so it's really a no-brainer.  :-)

The installation of the card is very easy and takes about 10 minutes in all.  

It totally fixes (in my case at least) the problem.  Google "Replacing Acer R7 wi-fi card" or the likes to find a nice You-Tube video on how to open the case and get at the card.

• alicepattinson
    alicepattinson Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

Thanks for sharing this tips. Smiley Happy I'll try it later hope it works. Smiley Happy