Looking for Predator Helios 16(Predator PH16-71) BIOS update

carpe
carpe Member Posts: 3 New User
edited 11:04AM in Predator Laptops

Hello, when will the voltage reduction function of this notebook processor be updated? Other notebook manufacturers, such as ASUS, MSI, Lenovo, etc., all support CPU voltage reduction. Why doesn’t this model support step-down yet? Even when not playing games, the CPU temperature is very high. Please enable this feature as soon as possible. It would be best to add this feature in the next BIOS update. This is very necessary.

Answers

• MichaelBlast
    MichaelBlast Member Posts: 1 New User

I have never had a laptop that didnt have an option to not be able to undervolt. I very disappointed in acer for not having this option and hopefully they will have a bios update for undervolting. You can knock off 9c if you redo the liquid metal on the cpu and new thermal paste on the gpu. Thermal putty i would use upsiren u6 pro. Acer liquid metal application is not the greatest.

• heamo
    heamo Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Undervoltprotection and overclock exist in the hidden part of the bios. However, disabling this does not apply on Windows. It seems that this needs to be updated by Acer.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023

You don't need to undervolt or overvolt or overclock these laptops like the Acer Predator PH16-71 laptop, as you will damage them, these Acer gaming laptops DO NOT NEED THAT and that is why Acer does NOT allow modifications of their laptops. Leave your Ace gaming laptop at default as they will perform great and be reliable for a very long time, if you start to modify these laptops and change voltages and/or overclock them, your laptop will not work and it will have a very short lifespan, as they will NOT last.

The Predator PH16-71 is a great gaming/editing laptop like and how Acer sells them in the box and at their oem specs, so leave your laptop like that and do the max upgrades that this laptop is designed for, as its ram can be increased to 32GB at 2x 16GB DDR5-5600 MT/s then upgrade its M.2 SSD boot and slave drives to a high-end Samsung 2TB 990 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD drive and you can't go wrong as you will have a reliable and a top end running laptop for gamin and edition with plenty of high performing storage.

Predator PH16-71 M.2 SSD and RAM specs

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• heamo
    heamo Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2023

We are using it as a reference.

Other companies' similar lineups with liquid processing also provide undervolting, but we will not do it.

It sounds like there will be no consideration for user convenience. Don't forget, hx is a desktop-based CPU.

• Smarac
    Smarac Member Posts: 1 New User

Shame that this isn't an option, maybe at near future they will reconsider it since it is a must for this type of laptop

• Gerufilas
    Gerufilas Member Posts: 4 New User

Im getting this temperatures even if im not launching any game or program

• Ritwiz
    Ritwiz Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

It's absolutely baffling that Acer has completely neglected their flagship laptop like this. My i9 is already failing and Acer support is as unhelpful as ever. Letting the CPU run at 95 degrees is 100% a manufacturing issue and all customers who face issues because of this should be compensated fairly.

• Naturalislectio
    Naturalislectio Member Posts: 2 New User

the VID (Max) My PHN16-71's voltage is very high, almost reaching 1.6V. I'm worried because I speak Portuguese and I can't find any content talking about this voltage, whether it's very high or still within the parameters.

• Ritwiz
    Ritwiz Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Press fn+tab before turning on your laptop. Turn on your laptop and as soon as the screen comes on press f2 a couple times. From there you should be able to go into the advanced BIOS on the neo model.

This lets you undervolt the CPU.

• User_PH16_71
    User_PH16_71 Member Posts: 10 New User

@ritwitz Dude, this thread on PH16-71. Not Neo.
    @you other dudes and dudets: That fn+tab not applicable to Helios 16-71 bios 1.16 afaik.

• User_PH16_71

@Naturalislectio Dude, I wouldn't worry. Yos report 1,6V but yo process capables of much hier. How you computa runnin otherwiz?

chck intel spec here:

Intel Core i913900HX Processor 36M Cache up to 5.40 GHz Product Specifications

• Max Turbo Frequency5.40 GHz
    • Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency ‡5.40 GHz
    • Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency5.40 GHz
    • Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency3.90 GHz
    • Cache36 MB Intel® Smart Cache
    • Processor Base Power55 W
    • Maximum Turbo Power157 W
    • Minimum Assured Power45 W

• User_PH16_71

@Gerufilas re: your screenshot below, bru yos running hot! You have bios 1.16 and predator sense 5.0.1463.0 installed?

• User_PH16_71

@heamo dude, the i13700hx is mobile processor. Check intel site, note: not desktop. Mobile. See:

13th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors

• User_PH16_71

I think @StevenGen might be right on this topic, it does not seem to me that the PH16-71 with i13700HX needs undervolting, at least not to run safely. Alas, that is the case w.r.t. my unit. I have not found any major review or analysis site indicating differently, pls comment if you find one!

• User_PH16_71

As I understand to YT @gamernexus on the microcode voltage issue on 13:th and 14:th gen i7: There is no reported issue with laptopt editions of the i7 13:th or 14:th gen. As far as I remember, he said the same about the i9. Nor any issues in configs running i7 i9 13/14 gen. under 65 W. Pls let me know if you find him saying something contradicting this.

Gamers Nexus - YouTube

• User_PH16_71

Example of yt @gamernexus on subject:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vQlvefGxk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVdmK1UGzGs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeubeCIwRw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAE4NWoyMZk

Cheers.