Need help Updating Firmware for my Acer VT500M 512GB NVMe SSD

J_Lebowski
J_Lebowski Member Posts: 4 New User

I recently acquired an Acer VT500M 512gb nvme ssd. I don't know from which system it came, i bought it (used) as a single part. I would like to update the ssd's firmware to it's latest available firmware before i'm going to use it, but i can't find any information for this drive anywhere. I would really appreciate the help. The part no. for the drive is (1P)ASYFS27063. It's a dram less m.2 nvme pci express ssd.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,103 Trailblazer

Hi, make sure Windows is updated and that in "Check for Updates" Advanced setting Optional Updates is enabled and you will receive drivers and firmware from Acer and other vendors for your laptop, mount the SSD in an external USB case and reformat it, then install it.

• J_Lebowski
    edited October 1

I'm sorry, but this seems to be a kind of generic reply which doesnt help. Windows update doesnt provide in solid state drive firmware updates, not even when optional updates are enabled. I'm also not looking for acer drivers, and mounting the nvme ssd in an external usb case really is a bad advise. I also don't see what this has to do with an firmware update. Mounting an nvme ssd in an usb enclosure, and thus converting the interface from nvme pci-express to usb, makes it impossible to update firmware for the drive. It should run as an native pci-express drive in order to run firmware updates.

I'm an experienced IT guy for many decades, i really only need firmare information and/or flashtools. I don't need to be explained how to update microsoft windows. Thank you.

Also, you don't "format" ssd's. You "secure erase" them.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,081 Trailblazer
    edited October 1

Hi @J_Lebowski as far as I know, Acer does not offer firmware updates for its SSDs and although it is not common, I have seen it on occasion in other brands, in any case they are usually corrections that do not affect the performance of the disk, being almost always feature extensions for other operating systems or specific applications.

Regards.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • J_Lebowski

That would be too bad. It would help if i would at least know from wich specific laptop model this ssd came from. There is no "reverse search" for acer laptop parts, i hope someone can at least tell me the model.

Solidstate drive firmware updates are not occasional things as you suggest. It is very common for ssd's to have their initial firmware release to contain errors. Just from the top of my head: take the kingston kc600 drive. It has a severe flaw which means that if you use it out of the box, you wouldnt be able use it to install a modern OS like win10, as a result of TRIM functionality failure in the firmware. A firmware fix resolves this failure. Or what about the samsung evo 840, which suffers from severe performance degradation. Without applying the proper firmware fix, this drive gets sluggish and slower by the day. And these are just two examples from the many. So no, ssd firmware updates are not simple feature extensions but actually repair serious failures in the drives firmware.

And this is the reason why i'm looking for the latest firmware for this ssd. They are there for a reason.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,272 Trailblazer

Hello! This model uses the SM2263XT controller manufactured by silicon motion. I did not find a firmware for this OEM ssd!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • J_Lebowski

Thank you, i already knew that. Is is a sm2263xt dram less ssd with HMB cache (host memory buffer).
    I would like to know from which laptop model this drive came from, in order to ask for relevant firmware information.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,600 Trailblazer

Unfortunately, the P/N shown isn't a normal Acer (typically in xx.xxxxx.xxx format), so there's no way to look it up other than internet searches as you have already tried. As suggested though, there is very little likelyhood there is a firmware update for it. Is it not working?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.