Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 suddenly freezes after some time

carpente
carpente Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello,

Recently, my laptop has been experiencing issues when I play video games. Usually, after 10-15 minutes of gaming, the screen stutters at a point where i'm getting 3-4 FPS, and it becomes almost impossible to interact with the computer (extreme latency when I click etc…) and the only way to go back to normal is by turning off the computer, as closing the game will not change anything to the state of the PC.

At first, I thought it was a general heat problem, but it also occurs when i'm not playing, with the fans at max speed (via Nitrosense) and a 4-fan ventilation below the laptop. The only "weird" thing I noticed is that sometimes, the CPU heat is almost always around 90-92°C, even while doing simple tasks like using VMWare or playing a small 2D game.

Plus, the screen stutter has never happened to me with this PC before (I've already experienced the same problem with another Acer Nitro 5 product), it started when I plugged a monitor to watch videos while playing (I stopped using the additional screen obviously). Since then, everything has been going downhill.

Here are the specs :

• Intel Core i5-11400H @ 2.70GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop
  • 16GB RAM
  • I'm using an external 1TB SSD

You can ask me anything, i'll try to answer as soon as I can !

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,630 Trailblazer
    edited July 7

Have you updated the Intel graphics to any Intel graphics drivers other than what the latest Windows Update version is for the Core i5-11400H cpu of the AN515-57 is, as what I’ve found is that the Intel official graphics drivers (which they warn “Installing this graphics driver from Intel will remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM)”) tend to cause the stutters, flickering and freezes of the graphics in these Nitro laptops.

Install the oem Intel graphics driver version 30.0.101.1273 and let “Windows Update” update to the latest Intel graphics version for the AN515-57 laptop. Also, make sure that you have the GeForce Experience software installed for the RTX3060 gpu as this software has the best settings from Nvidia for your RTX3060 gpu for games (which are over 1500 of the major games) that you play, so try all the above out as this also happened to my AN515-56 at i7-11370H/RTX3050/32GB ram which is a very similar spec laptop and the stutters, flickering and freezing stopped completely. Good luck and hope this helps you out

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• carpente
    carpente Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

After uninstalling the battery software, my computer was working normally again until last week, where it could freeze after only few minutes of gaming. I use Geforce Experience to update the RTX drivers, without using the recommended settings, as on almost all games, Ultra/high quality is set by the software, which makes my game lag extremely. On most games, my PC will freeze / crash even on low specs.

I installed the new Intel drivers you sent to me, hope it'll change !