Help - Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 Screen completely off, keyboard on.

Smotoe
Smotoe Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 1 in Nitro Gaming

So,

My friend was playing Risk Of Rain 2. We left the laptop, came back, it was off. Didn't turn back on.

We took it apart, took out the ram and put it back it, battery, too, and held power button whilst battery unplugged for 1 min.

We managed to go from completely dead, to the keyboard working and it takes power from the charger.

Nothing has worked so far, even trying to enter BIOS won't work, as the screen completely will not turn on.

And from our knowledge, the cord that connects the screen is plugged in and was working like an hour ago.

We also noticed a noice that sounds like when you accidentally activate sticky eyes chimes when the device is unplugged.

Please Acer friends, help fix my buddies laptop.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,480 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Just some additional information of why and how to fix the "Screen completely off, keyboard on" as you also need to take the RTC/BIOS battery out and short the +&- battery pins at the mainboard plug to reset the CMOS, then leave the laptop like that with the main battery and ram out for at least 1 hour.

As what happens is that the EC chip in that laptop is frozen which stops allot of the functions on the laptop including giving the laptop a blank screen, that is why the laptop has no image. Doing this Hard Reset unfreezes the EC chip and the laptop should reboot and work 100% afterwards. If it doesn't then you have problems with the EC chip which is a chip that needs programing if you replace it with a new chip and an experienced technician needs to fix your laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out further.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,910 Trailblazer

That beep you hear when you unplug the power adapter is Acer's power feature to alert you there is a power interruption. Hope you first disconnected the battery, removing the RAM if you are not completely shut down (Hibernate-Fast Startup) is also risky. When a screen goes black and you still see the cursor there is nothing wrong with the hardware, just press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click on Shut Down, bottom right power icon. I would wait a while; the laptop may have overheated. If this is a 2019 model, consider replacing the battery they can deplete after 4-5 years. If you still cannot boot bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset BIOS and include the power adapter for checking.

• Smotoe
    Smotoe Member Posts: 2 New User

We made sure the laptop was drained of power before we did anything.

After taking out the battery, unplugging it, plugging it back in, doing the same with the video cord, and putting the ram in a different slot, it magically turned back on. I hope I never have to come back here.

Thanks. He did get it 4 or 3 years ago so I recommended the battery replacement to him. And since it's his birthday week, I'm buying this guy more ram. 8gbs is NOT enough.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,480 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Just some additional information of why and how to fix the "Screen completely off, keyboard on" as you also need to take the RTC/BIOS battery out and short the +&- battery pins at the mainboard plug to reset the CMOS, then leave the laptop like that with the main battery and ram out for at least 1 hour.

As what happens is that the EC chip in that laptop is frozen which stops allot of the functions on the laptop including giving the laptop a blank screen, that is why the laptop has no image. Doing this Hard Reset unfreezes the EC chip and the laptop should reboot and work 100% afterwards. If it doesn't then you have problems with the EC chip which is a chip that needs programing if you replace it with a new chip and an experienced technician needs to fix your laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out further.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍