Wi-Fi CONNECTED BUT NO INTERNET Acer Swift X SFX16-51G

Options
jaafonso
jaafonso Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Ok, I'm losing my mind with this computer.

Besides SSD overheating, supposed long battery lifetime gone in few months and many other problems, now I' having problem to have Internet!

The problem started with the Wi-Fi taking more than 30 seconds to connect at home, when all other devices worked fine.

Then it simply not worked at all (CONNECTED, NO INTERNET), at home.

Now, the same problem is happening at work (eduroam network).

I tried to reset the network, uninstall and reinstall the driver (no updates available), change the configuration parameters and nothing worked!

The Wi-Fi adapter is Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160 Mhz.

This is the last straw, if the problem remains I will throw the computer in the garbage can and never again buy any other Acer product.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hello! Can you tell me the bios version? Regarding the SSD heating, have you checked the temperature with crystaldiskinfo?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jaafonso
    Options

The BIOS version is 1.02. Everything in the laptop support page is very old, older than the laptop purchase date. Nobody at Acer cares to update the things to solve the (many) reported problems.

Yes, I checked the temperature with crystaldiskinfo. Everything about it is in one of the many threads about the problems with this computer (below). Basically, even when the computer is idle doing basic Windows maintenance I have to switch to power save mode to avoid frying my SSD with temperatures that reach over 80 degrees Celsius.

But my main concern now is that I have to have network to be able to work, because my files are streamed from the cloud because I had to do that because I could not mirror the files locally because of the SSD temperature problem.

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,461 Guru
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @jaafonso,

Have you tried updating the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 driver to the latest available version!?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

If possible, post here a screenshot with the CrystalDiskInfo result of your SSD. Because looking at the PCB layout of the motherboard that equips the SFX16-51G, this problem of SSD overheating in "thesis" should not happen! Because the M.2 socket is located away from other components on the motherboard:

Unlike other Acer laptops layouts I've seen, in that the M.2 SSD literally is on top of the PCH and without heatsink.

• jaafonso
    Options

Hi @eGomes. Regarding the Wi-Fi driver update, I proceeded with the installation using the executable for Windows 11 from the page you suggested. It now says driver version 22.250.1.2 from 07/08/2023, while the older version was 22.60.06 from 27/05/2021. Funny that Windows always said that I had the most recent driver and the Acer support page for the product also only has the older version too. Let's hope the problem is solved.

Regarding the SSD, please see the proof you requested below. I'd like to add that the first warnings that the SSD was at risk came from notifications from a program called Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, which came pre-installed with the Windows OS.

• eGomes
    Options

Thanks, @jaafonso! Let's hope your Wi-Fi issues are resolved with this driver. 😉

Apparently you are using two M.2 SSDs! This Samsung PM981 SSD (MZVLB1T0HBLR), came without that thin heatsink!?

Try running a test with just this SSD installed in your SFX16-51G, to check if these overheating problems persist.

Also check, that there are no firmware updates available via the Samsung Magician tool:

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

CAUTION: Do not attempt to update the firmware at these high temperatures!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried installing a heatsink over the SSD?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jaafonso
    Options

Samsung Magician was useless. Drive Health: N/A. NVMe Driver: Unknown. Diagnostic Scan: This drive is not supported, and so on …

I was advised to not unscrew the laptop because it would void the warranty.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

This happens because Samsung Magician does not identify devices that are configured with vmd controller or rst with optane. Access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl+s and check if an option called sata mode or vmd controller appears.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eGomes
    Options

Another suggestion, would be to adapt a "thin" heatsink to help cool your SSD, check the internal space (especially the height) available.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Hi @jaafonso make sure your password is correct, do not confuse zeros with the letter o, eight with the letter B and remember that the password is case sensitive.
    It is sometimes possible to connect with the wrong encryption key but you will not navigate.
    all the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (alezmvp)

• jaafonso
    Options

There is a BIOS option called "VMD controller", which was enabled. The only other option was to disable it. I tried it and could not boot the laptop anymore (Inaccessible Boot Device).

• jaafonso
    Options
  • Alejandro_AC
    Options

This is what you put in the title:

Wi-Fi CONNECTED BUT NO INTERNET

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (alezmvp)

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

You need to activate Windows Safeboot, through msconfig, before disabling the vmd controller.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jaafonso
    Options

Yes, Wi-Fi does not connect if the password is wrong.

• jaafonso
    Options

So the problem with Wi-Fi remains even with the updated drivers.

I tried to make a clean install of Windows 11, so I created a bootable USB with the ISO, at the step "Where do you want to install Windows" I received the error "We couldn't find any drives". GREAT!!!

The SSD appears in Device Manager, but there are no drivers for this specific Samsung SSD disk available anywhere, so I can't install them to complete the installation.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,781 Trailblazer
    Options

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers aren't included in the Windows install image. You will want to download them separately, then put them on your Windows install flash drive. Just extract them to your install drive and when you get to that step use the load driver option and navigate to where they are. Once they are installed your drive will show up and you can continue.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.